Yak 23 Flora

Heya Guys,

Since I have at least 2 ongoing and unfinished projects, it seems like common sense to start another one.

I guess that this is what happen when one is running out of steam with unfinished projects.

Anyway, I just couldn't stop myself so here we go...after some rummage through the pile of plastic boxes, the winner was the Yak 23 from Bilek.

I don't know why I choose it...maybe because of that vintage look of the early jets, which the little Yak captures very well methinks.

Ok, so first of all the classic presentation of what's in the box:

1_zpswbfmqsxu.jpg2_zpsaqlucvsx.jpg4_zpstrhdf7l0.jpg3_zpsbucsnwg0.jpg5_zpsazdrvwia.jpg

• Like 3

Nice. Didn't know anything about this Yak before, but it clearly is a cousin to the Saab Tunnan, Bell X-5 and shares its roots with the Ta 183 Huckebein. Interesting twist with the story of the US tesing & kit including US markings.

Yeah lol...the fu fighter...

However, the Americans' evaluation of this fighter was that it could hold on itself pretty well against competition.

Although it was quickly phased out in favor of the more potent Mig15, the little Yak was liked by its pilots and was more maneuverable, especially at low to mid speeds. Also due to small weight the Yak was climbing really well...

Back to the plastic....I made some work in the cockpit.

OOB was pretty basic...so I made some additions from plastic and some wire.

Regards,

11_zpsucmwjzcm.jpg12_zpszbtesqtp.jpg13_zpskgzl1dlp.jpg

• Like 9

The pre-painted IP is from Eduard (it comes with the Bilek kit) and it does look much better when compared with the original plastic one.

This, however, brings into discussion the issue regarding the interior (cockpit) color.

From what I could find out, the interior color was a strange shade of green...possibly a color named A15 in the soviet color system...not very sure. Anyway the interior it was not the turquoise green found in the later soviet jets.

Hopefully I will succeed in matching the color of the IP from some other shades of green I already have...

Have a nice w/e Guys,

14_zpsukrheskf.jpg

• Like 7

Is the cockpit based on photographs or have you used some ' artistic license '

John

Hi John,

Actually is a combination of both.

I am using some reference photos...bellow you can find a few of them.

Also a very good source of inspiration is a restored Polish Yak23 which can be seen here (hope the link will work): http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/pano_zwiedzanie/eksponaty/15/jak23.php?w=a

Regards,

ejector_seat1_zpsgjkiex47.jpgcockpit_rs_zps5vpwegma.jpgcontrol_stick_zpscqkusfsa.jpgcockpit_ls_zpsvpflgrrk.jpgcockpit_ls3_zpsbsmy4fbj.jpg

• Like 2

This is looking really good so far, looking forward to seeing how it progresses. The early Soviet jets really are a fascinating subject I think! Looking forward to seeing more!

Regards,

Nik

• Like 1

Thank you guys for your encouragements.

Meanwhile I assembled the main wheel bays...and put some wires in there to act as pipelines & stuff.

While checking the fuselage I discovered that the ejection ports for the spent gun cartridges are completely missing, so I just made some.

Also, the fuselage walls from the area of the wheel bays are way too thick...they look like cement board or something.

So I just thinned them a little bit...still not ideal, but better...

15_zpsrhuixhbi.jpg16_zpsvncv5bx6.jpg17_zpsz9cu3al7.jpg18_zpsobfmoiux.jpg

• Like 2

Another big problem of this kit is related to the way in which the gun openings are represented, on the front of the fuselage.

I just marked these areas and for comparison I also attached a picture of the real thing. Really not the same thing...measures have to be taken.

So I've used the existing ridiculous gun openings to drill some holes...after that, I sanded everything down...and then all the unwanted space was filled with CA glue and sanded again, until I obtained some sort of plain holes through which the gun barrels will protrude.

I have to search for something like a gun barrel...some syringe needle I guess....

19_zpstsy87o0j.jpg20_zpsqtcoxpyb.jpg21_zpsaw0axcoi.jpg22_zpsro3oywrq.jpg

• Like 3

I am not sure how I managed to miss this one but it looks like a very interesting build with some nice workmanship on display.

Martin

• Like 1

Hi,

If you need some photo reference please check that link:

https://plus.google.com/photos/102706803262583410664/albums/5391753871519251185?banner=pwa

Those photos are from restoration process one of polish Yak-23's. This aircraft was first combat jet in PolAF service, and Poland was a second biggest user of that type (over 100 in service between 1950-1956 from total 313 produced).

• Like 1

Thank you Martin & foxbat155.

Foxbat155, very good reference pictures indeed!! For sure they will be useful.

I managed to install the mail wheel bays on the fuselages, and also to find a decent representation of the gun barrels. These tasks have to be done before closing the fuselage. Nevertheless, after studying some reference photos (thanks you again foxbat155), it seems to me that some interior walls are missing from the wheel bays...in the area where the wing will be inserted. I'll see what can be done about this...

The gun barrels are actually made of two syringe needles of different dimensions...0.5 mm and 0.8 mm.

Now they look kinda very thin...but these needles were what at had at hand. I would preferred a combination of 0.6 mm with 0.9 mm, but I couldn't find 0.9 needles. However...the cannons from the real Yak 23 was of 23 mm caliber...which reduced to 48th scale means something like 0.48...so the 0.5 needle must be a pretty close representation.

Also I scribed some missing panel lines on the fuselage sides, in the area of the ejection ports of the spent cartridges..

23_zpshaeut7ml.jpg25%201_zpshvqpihfh.jpg26_zpspqdvmrnf.jpg24_zpsribhr8pv.jpg28_zpsgca0ziw8.jpg27_zpsua3lksan.jpg

• Like 4

I am weakening towards getting one of these.

Martin

Go for it, Martin...it's a nice little kit...

Base coat for the cockpit interior.

It's a combination of Model Master European Green and RAF Interior Green...Mk1 eyeball style, of course.

It's not a perfect match with the pre-painted IP, but I declare myself satisfied with it.

The canopy will be closed anyway...so the difference in shade will not be so obvious, I hope...

29_zpsf6unsosy.jpg

• Like 5

Me Too!

But where from?

Christian

Hi Christian...I think you have to look for east-European providers for this one.

Have a look here: http://www.jadarhobby.pl/aircraft-148-c-5_31.html?filter_id=215

They're from Poland and I think they ship worldwide...just check them if you are interested...

For your Information, the kit is typical short-run style...that kind of soft plastic, not very crisp detail and not a great fit.

But it is a nice and rewarding build, if you invest a little time and patience in it:)

Good luck,

• Like 1

Many thanks!

I know Jadar of old and have placed an order for one of these!

Thanks for the info. Short-run is great as I (can) like a challenge :weep::wall::doh: as it gets me away from the challenges of day-to-day life out here, (I should be shot...).

Christian, exiled to the armpit of the universe

Only some modest progress...been working a little bit on the engine intake.

Some internal walls were added to the nose wheel bay, because they were incomplete as molded.

Also I scratched some sort of landing light which was situated also in the nose...the protective window for this landing light is terrible, but nevertheless I've used it.

This is how this subassembly looks now...further work has to be done, especially in the wheel bay area...

30_zpsipwjtn1w.jpg31_zpsv2w86vnd.jpg32_zpsl4xhim87.jpg

• Like 2

Cockpit done.

I've painted the details & stuff...then applied an oil wash with burnt umber.

In the pictures it seems to me that the wash is too obvious...maybe I should have keep it more subtle.. strange that on the real thing the wash is not so visible.

However, by now I'm preparing to close the fuselage...

33_zpspkgeelwl.jpg34_zpsuqkgiwac.jpg35_zpsbytwge0u.jpg36_zpsqybuznpc.jpg

• Like 4