Challenger 2 - Operation Telic 2003 (Tamiya 1/35)

I recently purchased this kit and plan to start building as soon as I have all of the aftermarket sets I need. I plan to purchase the Bronco individual track links but I'm undecided on what photo etch set to purchase. The ET set looks very complete, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the Voyager or Eduard counterparts. Any recommendations? I'm also looking at purchasing Real Model's "Stowage And Menu Set For Challenger II" as this includes a resin camouflage tarp...something present in almost all of the photos of the Challenger 2 taken in 2003. The only problem is that the only place I could find it in stock is Hobby Easy. Does anyone here have experience with them?

DSCF3799_zpsvjmi5hu6.jpg

• Like 1

I don't understand why it is a problem that is is in stock at Hobby Easy? I've ordered from them before and had no problems.

I just wasn't sure about Hobby easy as I've never purchased from them. I usually try to make my purchases from Ebay or US/UK hobby dealers.

I have been purchasing kits from Hobby Easy since 2007 and I reckon I have purchase about 95% of my kits from them and have never had a problem. Daniel and his staff respond quickly to questions and f there is a problem such as stock holdings they will advise you before dispatching.

I have also found that their cost inc. postage is quite cheaper than what I would pay here in Aust, example T-80U Soviet/Russian Main Battle Tank Hobby Easy price with post $101.68 Aust hobby shop price $146 AUD plus postage.

All I can say is go for it the worst that can happen is they don’t meet your expectations.

• Like 2

My Nephew was REME attached to the Scots Dogs on Telic 1.

A couple of things worth noting:

The ID pannels took time to arrive and not every vehicle had them.

The desert paint was applied in the UK and didn't cure properly in the cold and weathered very heavily in Iraq.

Supplies of Desert DPM were very limited. He only got his on the flight home so they could wear it for the cameras.

You can build a still and make peach brandy with spare parts from a Warrior cooling system.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've made more progress on the Challenger 2. I've decided to finish this model as "11B" of HQ Squadron Command Troop of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. Using several photos of 11B for reference, I've attempted to replicate the folds in the canvas of the dust mitigation side skirts and the heavily dented fuel drum. The Bronco workable track links went together without any issues and are a huge improvement over the rubber bands provided by Tamiya.

DSCF4076_zpsgdtkwmav.jpg

DSCF4080_zpsfufmydej.jpg

DSCF4085_zps6xywxgmo.jpg

DSCF4087_zpsafc2xvp1.jpg

DSCF4090_zpsehan9ldj.jpg

DSCF4091_zpsiwgro4fz.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I've now completed most of the etch work and I've done some test fitting for photos. I'll start the painting process as soon as "Shot And Captured" arrives in the mail. The side skirts and CIP panels will be removed for painting. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

DSCF4166_zpslc4erbrw.jpg

DSCF4212_zpsakg2l8dl.jpg

DSCF4207_zpsaa24ariq.jpg

DSCF4205_zpsgxv87kjx.jpg

DSCF4191_zpsekz5vztq.jpg

DSCF4170_zpsqssw4q4w.jpg

DSCF4187_zpsrzveo59c.jpg

DSCF4189_zpslwavrqb6.jpg

DSCF4176_zpstzb7ytxg.jpg

DSCF4195_zpsnmewuimu.jpg

DSCF4184_zps46eely59.jpg

• Like 8