silly canberra kit question?

Selwyn

Got a couple of the Airfix 1/48 B(I)8 in the stash.

Could I use the Alleycat B2 canopy /nose glazing ;

http://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/b2-canberra-canopy-and-nose-glazing-4671-p.asp

with one of them to produce something resembling a B6 or B(I)6? I do realise i would probably have to scratch the cockpit interior. The conversions seem to be all stated for use with the Airfix B2/6 kits.

Any comments or opinions on this?

or could I use one of the other alleycat conversions with this kit to produce another model?

Selwyn

Got a couple of the Airfix 1/48 B(I)8 in the stash.

Could I use the Alleycat B2 canopy /nose glazing ;

http://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/b2-canberra-canopy-and-nose-glazing-4671-p.asp

with one of them to produce something resembling a B6 or B(I)6? I do realise i would probably have to scratch the cockpit interior. The conversions seem to be all stated for use with the Airfix B2/6 kits.

Any comments or opinions on this?

or could I use one of the other alleycat conversions with this kit to produce another model?

Selwyn

I'm planning much the same, I also have a Canberra itch, that needs scratching! .i just need to decide which mark, though. PR3 or 7, or derivative is highly likely.

The breakdown of the resin glazing looks as if it was meant to fit this kit, rather than the B2/6. Might be worth having a word with Ali?

Edit: Quick question for John...the 'finger' airbrakes. Airfix's upper wings are one short, or are they? And what about the lower wings?

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1

Hello Bill!

At least in Airfix B.2 one "finger" is missing and there are none on the lower surfaces. Maybe the same goes for B(I).8...

Best regards,

Antti

Hi Anitti, both Airfix kits share the same wing, so I suspect the B(I)8 does indeed have the same issues.

I'm planning much the same, I also have a Canberra itch, that needs scratching! .i just need to decide which mark, though. PR3 or 7, or derivative is highly likely.

The breakdown of the resin glazing looks as if it was meant to fit this kit, rather than the B2/6. Might be worth having a word with Ali?

Edit: Quick question for John...the 'finger' airbrakes. Airfix's upper wings are one short, or are they? And what about the lower wings?

Yes Bill there is one missing, in the row with 5 it should be 6, as stated all the wings are the same, so the same errors are repeated, I think that also includes the PR.9, but I would need to check that. There is nothing on the underside, not even a landing light!

John

Yes Bill there is one missing, in the row with 5 it should be 6, as stated all the wings are the same, so the same errors are repeated, I think that also includes the PR.9, but I would need to check that. There is nothing on the underside, not even a landing light!

John

Thanks John. I may get some brass square section and sharpen the edges to use as a 'punch' for the missing 'fingers'.

I have a Classic Airframes T17 in the stash, I have a recollection that there were problems with their airbrakes, or maybe I'm getting confused with the Airfix kit?

(I also have an Aeroclub B6, but I'm saving that for a rainy day! I built one a few years ago as an E15. In my opinion this kit is the best multi-media kit I've ever had the fortune to build.)

Thanks John. I may get some brass square section and sharpen the edges to use as a 'punch' for the missing 'fingers'.

I have a Classic Airframes T17 in the stash, I have a recollection that there were problems with their airbrakes, or maybe I'm getting confused with the Airfix kit?

(I also have an Aeroclub B6, but I'm saving that for a rainy day! I built one a few years ago as an E15. In my opinion this kit is the best multi-media kit I've ever had the fortune to build.)

A good idea Bill, I must confess I've not bothered with the missing one or the ones underneath, although one of the SIG members (Gary) did get some decals made of squares of the right size so they could be added that way, but as yet I've not done it, there is more than enough to put right with the kit! I will take a look at the CA kit as I can't remember either. I did get a an Aeroclub B(I)6 kit but I screwed up the wings but I did use the very good nose to make a PR.7 out of the B(I)8 which was the first Airfix Canberra I built. As a build I found the Aeroclub Lightning a better kit, but perhaps if I'd not messed up the wings I may have changed my mind.

John

A good idea Bill, I must confess I've not bothered with the missing one or the ones underneath, although one of the SIG members (Gary) did get some decals made of squares of the right size so they could be added that way, but as yet I've not done it, there is more than enough to put right with the kit! I will take a look at the CA kit as I can't remember either. I did get a an Aeroclub B(I)6 kit but I screwed up the wings but I did use the very good nose to make a PR.7 out of the B(I)8 which was the first Airfix Canberra I built. As a build I found the Aeroclub Lightning a better kit, but perhaps if I'd not messed up the wings I may have changed my mind.

John

I just loved the way the Aeroclub kit was engineered, with the wing spar and undercarriage arrangement. Of course the critical bit is indeed how the wing shell fits over it. Just been looking at some of the builds on the SIG website.........very inspirational John.

• Like 1

Airfix is reissueing there kit so will be able to use.

... and build the B(I)8's in your stash in South African / Indian / Peruvian / Venezuelan / French markings!

I just loved the way the Aeroclub kit was engineered, with the wing spar and undercarriage arrangement. Of course the critical bit is indeed how the wing shell fits over it. Just been looking at some of the builds on the SIG website.........very inspirational John.

I totally agree Bill, it is very well engineered, my view of the kit is coloured by my ineptitude! I'm glad you like what's going on on the site, it's quite quiet over there of late, but I guess with the impending re-release of the 1/48 Airfix B(I)6/B.20 as it is now, things will pick up again? I've had a look at the CA B.2 and the Aeroclub kit and they both get the topside wrong with just 5 fingers on the long row, the CA kit has a gap where you could fit the missing one, the underside of both kits are good. It's surprising about the Aeroclub kit as apart from that it is by far and away the most accurate 1/48 Canberra kit. If only Airfix had taken a look at the Aeroclub Canberra before setting too with there kit, or contacting me or John Adames!

John

I totally agree Bill, it is very well engineered, my view of the kit is coloured by my ineptitude! I'm glad you like what's going on on the site, it's quite quiet over there of late, but I guess with the impending re-release of the 1/48 Airfix B(I)6/B.20 as it is now, things will pick up again? I've had a look at the CA B.2 and the Aeroclub kit and they both get the topside wrong with just 5 fingers on the long row, the CA kit has a gap where you could fit the missing one, the underside of both kits are good. It's surprising about the Aeroclub kit as apart from that it is by far and away the most accurate 1/48 Canberra kit. If only Airfix had taken a look at the Aeroclub Canberra before setting too with there kit, or contacting me or John Adames!

John

It's a bit of a shame that Airfix decided to issue the Canberra's when they did! Imagine the B(I)6/B20 to the standard of their Sea Vixen, Javelin or Meteor...........

Ho hum. I may wait until the re-release to build by PR3, and knock up a B(I)8 in the meantime.....that'll keep me busy for a while!

• Like 1

It's a bit of a shame that Airfix decided to issue the Canberra's when they did! Imagine the B(I)6/B20 to the standard of their Sea Vixen, Javelin or Meteor...........

Ho hum. I may wait until the re-release to build by PR3, and knock up a B(I)8 in the meantime.....that'll keep me busy for a while!

I do quite often Bill, and lament it's coming out first, the thing is I can't see any one else doing a 1/48 Canberra now, not a "British" one anyway. You'll have hours of fun with the 8! :)

John

• Like 1

I do quite often Bill, and lament it's coming out first, the thing is I can't see any one else doing a 1/48 Canberra now, not a "British" one anyway. You'll have hours of fun with the 8! :)

John

Indeed, I grabbed the "8". From the stash to have a fondle of the plastic. I'd already made a start in reducing the prominence of the panel lines on the wings- basically Primer sanded down, I had already additional panel lines on one of the upper wings. Also got a pair of Belcher wing tanks, resin wheel wells - from a CA T17 that was never built and some Airways Resin bomb pylons and practise bombs. I've been on Les B's superb website and think I'll be building a 3sqn machine, with the rarer DSG/DG upper surfaces with high demarkationed Night, but with green and yellow fin flash and badge. I think I have these decals from an old Model Alliance decal sheet.......it's a big old bird in 1/48th!! I'll post some progress shots on here and on the Canberra SIG site.... Edited by Bill Clark

Good choice Bill! I/we look forward to seeing the progress. Much of the work I'm doing on WT333 is applicable seeing as she started life as an 8, my WIP is here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988093-wiggaly-amps-canberra-bi8-wt333/

John

Hi John, yes I have been following your build. Very informative. Dug out my decals and found XH208 in 59 Sqn markings, so that will be the chosen subject. Now regarding these airbrakes. On your website there is a cutaway type diagram and a plan view. It seems from these that Airfix have it correct. I.e with one missing finger on top, or they copied these references.Not sure about the lower set though....I assume the '8 wing was similar to other marks?
  • Like 1

Hi John, yes I have been following your build. Very informative. Dug out my decals and found XH208 in 59 Sqn markings, so that will be the chosen subject. Now regarding these airbrakes. On your website there is a cutaway type diagram and a plan view. It seems from these that Airfix have it correct. I.e with one missing finger on top, or they copied these references.Not sure about the lower set though....I assume the '8 wing was similar to other marks?

That's odd Bill, I shall have to take a good look through my AP's but it's definatly 6 and 3 on the top wing as in this photo of WT333 All the wings should be the same unless there was a mod that I don't know of but I shall delve into it and report back.

IMG_9626MR.jpgringd_zpskmwcwblk.jpg

John