Airfix Folland Gnat T.1 1/72

Dear Fellow Modellers,

I intended to participate in this GB with two builds: a Typhoon Mk I.B and a Tempest Mk V. However, life got in the way (too much work, very demanding German classes and tests every month, including a Goethe Zertifikat B1, which I managed to achieve) and I didn't found the time to build them past the first posts. I will build them properly later, as regular WIPs, as these aircraft deserve all the care and attention I can provide.

However, to regain some modelling motivation and still finish something for this GB, I decided to build a simple kit, just OOB. The choice fell on Airfix's 1/72 Folland Gnat T.1, which is shown in the following picture:

y4mWgPYUBTnStnAzS7N1z8aOtyiEhsJVI1Kg020W

IMAG3348

As usual, I started by taking the cockpit parts off the sprues

y4mkZfc_kDnLdQM6DIkPD6QDIj8AIpnIwC7rzRRR

IMAG3352

These were glued into sub-assemblies in order to ease painting:

y4mdtTwfgl2hCGm7GW3feIM8BTPikxIYx93ki_y2

IMAG3353

y4mY_Rk0vldExNjtbdjzMf6AHZ6HkJdKW5aRh2rd

IMAG3355

Next, I took the fuselage halves and air intake mouths off the sprues:

y4mFuZXDyNE3Bzpv1DO_2AizXNOwfDzBTJntkdDh

IMAG3354

The air intake mouths were glued in place but fit is not the best, especially on the port side:

y4mvh37eEuHEESjkyKyFGJwW61Pg4cnrTPvTDywK

IMAG3356

y4mXijoREVIYPRqTOh3xdxPMUN2ys0gHdbv-005g

IMAG3357

This was followed by the wings:

y4mpqCIAjSDBPKotD_kVGKOroTYkzvpe61A5DPL4

IMAG3358

Holes had to be made on the lower wing parts in order to install the external fuel tanks later:

y4mdnIMHUtq8-yyj6IxrpCUkayoPzmj-okxXe4Gb

IMAG3359

The wing parts were glued together:

y4mEa3oX-1uWF51MqvEYFaKjMwWchsSCNA4jnjsx

IMAG3360

The external fuel tanks were, then, built and the poor fit is readily apparent:

y4mjK_fegwKIjrQQrMPV87v5TiNhPAl1FFg6u56F

IMAG3362

A lot of filing and sanding will be needed on these to make them acceptable...

The next step was building the main undercarriage parts. These must be installed in the fuselage halves before closing them. Here we can see one of the wheel wells (on the right) and a gear leg already glued to the corresponding wheel well door (on the left):

y4mcHCAnVUPJuNNjfWvJwwCm-UxmsHcaXKeNzpD8

IMAG3363

Here are both sides of the landing gear ready for installation in the fuselage:

y4m7lchr30FbmdpMk1LJkeCNq73HGMFBb-SA5jxK

IMAG3364

It seemed to me that I wouldn't be able to install the gear legs after closing the fuselage. So, some complicated masking will be needed in order to paint the fuselage with these in place.

I managed to break the nose gear leg while taking it off the sprue. As can be seen, this part was defective, as the shaft for installation of the nose wheels is missing:

y4mTx4S-oJ4rA0QaOsuT_nnWncK37UxFcsxOnyyb

IMAG3366

First, I glued the broken part using super-glue:

y4m-IxCzJ7WR95Pgw-Bvzm8uurFwo-tvMK3wE-7g

IMAG3365

Then I carved a shaft for the nose wheels from a piece of sprue. Here it is between the wheels, together with the remaining nose gear parts:

y4mfhmuox1sdhEGMr3zjVwmEZX8o1L6uPdFhPDk6

IMAG3367

A slot was made in the middle of the shaft, to provide a stronger point of contact with the gear leg:

y4mIjY0fzqD13Xb80_c8BuJwcUKbohXf7ySo9s2s

IMAG3368

Finally, the shaft and leg were glued together using Tamiya Extra Thin Glue, later reinforced with a drop of super-glue:

y4mX4ZlZsUmPvLOrMCX_eDWehn3iQ4_TCBosAqLR

IMAG3369

Here are all the parts, ready for priming:

y4mSX8-vudwSsmIjAJ3qN8ehHDDJ-oJzElq8slck

IMAG3370

The interior areas and all parts to be painted with metallic paints were, then, primed using Alclad's Grey Primer:

y4m0GeNrRHYMyFjCsgb-pt1FURPpBbJT7xZQcuzh

IMAG3371

The intake inner walls were painted with Alclad's White Aluminium and the main gear wells with Alclad's Dull Aluminium (these according to pictures of real aircraft):

y4mDpRIZc-QeCpQAhyeEAb8TeRnkR-OtdUcmvY86

IMAG3372

These parts complete the inner air intake walls and were also painted with Alclad's White Aluminium:

y4m8PmmcKPApXuxwWG9nmgZmIK_1OAkxpYjVk8Pm

IMAG3373

The centres of wheels and all other parts making up the landing gears were painted with Alclad's Dull Aluminium. The exhaust was painted with Alclad's Jet Exhaust:

y4m9g7aY2NpJ_aybD4_rHTGjtSjASIhVMTMN9jZey4m9lpBslCCqeZfhFDtHUGx1b2ZE7gDvW6qeuHfb

IMAG3374                                                                                                IMAG3375

After the paint dried, the air intake parts were masked off:

y4mmVGBGLSOeDBBQceUoCwR-qdYkM5aUOWJISr0W

IMAG3376

and the end faces (where the turbine face should be) were painted with Alclad's Steel:

y4m2DmmLZFtsv7sAzD1Iun-fIhepPYqol-nluH8T

IMAG3377

Finally, these parts were glued in place. They form part of the inner cockpit walls as well. The fit, again, is not very good and some putty had to be applied in order to fill in the joins:

y4mFLWuDWIwn_pCLzwW69jwOFNShZ9G_BYXSaQmw

IMAG3379

This is how the build stands right now. This post covers a week's worth of work, from Easter Sunday night till yesterday (Saturday).

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 5

Hi Jaime!! Good to see you starting (started) a new project! Progress is looking very good too. I'm always impressed with your precise work!

Looking forward to following more of your progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Jaime,

looking good and nice job on the landing gear repair.

A lot of people seem to be having dramas with these kits, but you've got it covered! Keep it going.

Craig

• Like 1

Might be a bit late, but it almost looks like those intake lips are round the wrong way? I believe there has been the odd occasion whereby the numbers were mixed up. May this be a similar thing?

Hi Charlie,

You may be right. I believe I tried fitting them the other way round but couldn't find a big difference. Anyway, it's a bit too late now. I'll have to do some sanding and filling to make them look good.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi again,

Just a small update, as I managed to find some bench time in the last few days.

I sanded the putty I had applied to fill the seams on the cockpit walls and then applied another coat of Alclad's Grey Primer. Here's the result:

y4mG0-ko13BW5M12AJREHQ0y10Z-E7rRskg-CCjT

IMAG3383

It's not perfect but is good enough, considering that the canopy will be closed.

Next, I painted all the cockpit parts with Gunze's H82 Dark Grey. No pictures, as they would just be a repetition on a different shade of grey.

Then I applied the instrument panels' decals. Here's the set-up for that:

y4mvPNm7dwHrh6N1TnToptqxphaA2XwlgYWBIPiY

IMAG3385

After application and letting the decal solutions dry, here's the result:

y4mO-bQdzO5NJqZoOKy4LUImVhUYbkOl82CKwoY-

IMAG3388

It should be noted that the decals are bigger than the plastic parts and as much clear film as possible must be trimmed in order for them to fit. Even so, the lower-centre part of the decal on the right is wider than the plastic part.

Next step: finishing the seats' painting and detailing (seat belts).

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 6

Hi again,

A quick update of work done last night.

I painted the backs of the seats. I decided to brush paint, using Gunze's Khaki Green. I thinned the paint in order to apply thin layers but I think I didn't thin the paint enough... Anyway, here's the set-up, right before painting:

y4mnKWOrq9geNEjLO4v2EUUGp5a6Enodv7a2Itb3

IMAG3389

After applying the first layer of paint, with the paint still fresh:

y4mneT9fS5DcMHNgozS9Px2TZh4I1Bco0WIpGMRD

IMAG3390

I think the paint is too thick for my liking. After letting the first layer dry for more than an hour, I applied a second layer and left the seats to dry. Still haven't taken a picture.

While the paint dried, I decided to cut the canopy off the sprue. For that I used a nano-saw, as shown in the picture below:

y4m0eW1idOOYiB7c2COJkdnKf3B6IkquHDqA7N77

IMAG3391

I sawed the connections a bit away from the canopy, to avoid any damage:

y4mZzDq2siu4hLI5qYYhKfx3mal_1eACl0XFIL10

IMAG3392

The excess plastic was, then, sawed right next to the part:

y4mQa4FStx0q7ciakVcbC1iP8zqHpNkf1lLU1KNJ

IMAG3393

After sanding and polishing, the canopy was like shown in the following picture:

y4ms1-HdPiiKonhYIKVYUaSeS7XcntnMKDsYXleG

IMAG3394

I had to polish a few scratches using micro-mesh pads and micro-gloss fluid, which took me quite some time.

The canopy was then dipped in Alclad's Aqua Gloss, to give it enhanced clarity and transparency and left to dry overnight.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5

Hi Jaime. Good to see more progress on your Gnat and all looks to be coming together very nicely. The decals for the IP actually look much better than some of Airfix's usual efforts. I'm always dismayed by the fact they seem to make so little effort with these. With regards the seat backs - I'm sure they will look fine after the second (or third!) thin coat. I do like your nano-saw. I've not seen one of those - I shall see if I can get one from somewhere. Your work on the canopy has certainly paid off - it looks excellent!

Hope you have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Thanks for your kind words. The seats are not too bad after the 2nd coat, after all. But a 3rd thin coat is in order. Nothing as smooth as your paint jobs, though...

I'll also have to repair the Aqua Gloss coat of the canopy, because some water droplets were trapped by the varnish (I washed the canopy in running water before dipping it and didn't dry it very well), but shouldn't be too difficult.

Last night I only had time to print a copy of Eduard's PE fret for the Airfix 1/48 Gnat, scaled to 1/72, so that I can use it as a template for my masking tape seat belts. Let's see if it works.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Thanks for your kind words. The seats are not too bad after the 2nd coat, after all. But a 3rd thin coat is in order. Nothing as smooth as your paint jobs, though...

I'll also have to repair the Aqua Gloss coat of the canopy, because some water droplets were trapped by the varnish (I washed the canopy in running water before dipping it and didn't dry it very well), but shouldn't be too difficult.

Last night I only had time to print a copy of Eduard's PE fret for the Airfix 1/48 Gnat, scaled to 1/72, so that I can use it as a template for my masking tape seat belts. Let's see if it works.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime. A lot of my stuff has three or four thinned coats of paint before it starts to look okay. I'm sure yours will be fine. Shame about the canopy, but, as you say, it shouldn't be too hard to repair.

I like the idea of using a copy of the Eduard fret as a template. You should be able to get a reasonable representation from that. I look forward to seeing your results.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi again,

Another update of work done since the end of last week and over the weekend.

As I said to Stix above, the Aqua Gloss trapped some water droplets on the surface of the canopy and I had to repair the varnish. First, I removed it with IPA and made sure there were no residues or specks on the surface. Then, I dipped the canopy again in Aqua Gloss and put it away to dry in a storage box to minimise dust damage.

Here is the end result, after letting the varnish cure for two days. Seems to be quite good, very shiny and transparent:

y4mmbbfjpFHhILDJJQ0xLe7hWfDLRxGaEIfOo-av

IMAG3417

With the canopy put away to dry, I applied a third thin coat of paint to the seats:

y4mgMSpRvlRuQpaMymsoLlh05tgV-D6iKNAme8mD

IMAG3395

The next step was making the seat belts. For that I went to Eduard's site and copied the image of their PE interior fret for the Airfix 1/48 Gnat. This image was resized in Photoshop so that the seat belts would fit in the 1/72 seats: I measured the seats' width with a ruler, measured the width of the image of the seat belts in Photoshop and determined the resize ratio to apply. Then, I printed two copies of the resized image in a sheet of paper in order to use the seat belts part of the image as a template to cut the contours on a piece of masking tape:

y4mMgMLl8X6OK4M1VstLAoKuUZVKU42Ur9YasdSW

IMAG3396

The image of the seat belts was held by tape over the tape to be marked:

y4mE-GulBjrpghQI5EgU29ULumtY-kzbDFaIMkO9

IMAG3397

An X-acto blade was used to cut the contours:

y4mqVdVbGjuWuH3PSA8VjZ_8PvkzfgS2Ys-dNEE1

IMAG3398

Here's the tape with the contours already cut:

y4mpSx6S5o57ytVW1hXFVlFVo16AlUQsTBxpZ00R

IMAG3399

Then, I used Tamiya's Desert Yellow and German Gray to paint the seat belts:

y4mBwPUxTJB58qaXof7sKnTcOBq0qnszhKB3DzNg

IMAG3400

Here's the result:

y4mP0C-bIbsFa-zphmCc1loCdRZ1_1WGWwc9xgFq

IMAG3401

Next, I painted the head rests on the seats with dark grey (some touch ups still needed at this phase):

y4mOsOREqvH6Fk5nvzBGyIGxVbZNG0zDCfQEcb3U

IMAG3402

and the tops of the seats with orange-yellow (here after two layers of paint - a third and last was applied later):

y4mNSl6p66V5EGvnaK0PrNYEWTPBrSR9xH0-7vs-

IMAG3403

I also used white and black to paint a few details on the cockpit walls (the kit isn't much detailed, though):

y4mYMwtdsN8Hzpn_g66jeyaiGsfiPuKF-BRyIfmw

IMAG3410

This is how it turned out:

y4mKfocQMb8F1lN9ZxRLggc4Ee0BUSY6klR1QmEA

IMAG3411

For the seats and cockpit detailing I used the pictures in this site for the T.1 cockpit as a reference: www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/gnat/walkaround.php

To conclude the seats' detailing I had to scratch build the ejection handles that go over the pilot's head. These are also shown on Eduard's PE fret, so I used the scaled image of the fret again as a reference for the dimensions and made the handles with a piece of aluminium wire:

y4mQFlm5wMFFMupRf0Yq-sNAaqunT45KU2Lk3A5o

IMAG3412

Here they are:

y4mW5vQoNfZw6W85hjypimd3kDLbwyqkHJxCJ8jG

IMAG3413

To paint the handles, I first applied a coat of white as primer:

y4m0AdNHHBXXDtfzgx2zNWHSrOjtBbtnNQe1XI9z

IMAG3415

Then, they were painted yellow:

y4mQZt_Sp7KoRwh9uW8LQSBy_51867HwBAndmh1K

IMAG3416

Finally, the black stripes were painted:

y4mipRp2TXEtL-Qx2aQxdwzG2E6RNqieUbMuTFmm

IMAG3418

After the paint dried, the handles were super-glued in place:

y4mgQjcH17qvzKMkUJO4_xcM_dQyDCldQPENTTgD

IMAG3419

Here are the seats, after touch-ups:

y4maBMVOBjm70nwTE9z02tuYZ1ZBTJuFUHFUPIMy

IMAG3421

In the meanwhile, I also glued the "wheel well and main gear leg plus wheel door" sub-assemblies inside the fuselage halves:

y4mQrGBcKthOfhZI7kQ-cKQdnPLYe5ETpnsW7_Jd

IMAG3420

To finish with, I applied a coat of Alclad Flat Kote to the cockpit walls, cockpit base, instrument panels, control columns and seats.

The next step will be installing the buckles on the tape seat belts and the seat belts on the seats. With that done, I'll be able to assemble the cockpit components and close the fuselage.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5

:wow: I just had to go back up to the title of your thread to check what scale you are building this in Jaime!! I have no idea how you had the patience to do those ejection handles! :hypnotised: They are amazing!..........and in 1/72!! The seats themselves are looking great now too as does the canopy. I'm looking forward to seeing the seat belts!

Lovely work as always.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Thank you for the very kind words, Stix! As you can see, my intention to stick to an OOB build has gone through the window... But I promise that the seat detailing is as far as I'll go in terms of scratch building in this model. The masking tape seat belts were in the to-do list from the start, anyway :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

....... But I promise that the seat detailing is as far as I'll go in terms of scratch building in this model.

.........well..............you say that now! :winkgrin:
  • Like 1

Hi Stix,

Thanks a lot for your interest. I'm afraid I didn't manage to progress much during the week. I've just applied a few buckles to the seat belts but haven't finished that yet. I only have some time for modeling late at night during the week and I've been too tired for precision work.

So, I won't finish this one in the time frame of the GB but hope I'll be able to finish it in one or two weeks.

I'll keep posting the updates.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3