Revell 1:24 scale Schlingmann HLF20 Fire Truck - with lights (maybe)

Very smart work, really neat job of building the kit but your lighting is excellent, the scene lighting on the sides is particularly good.

A build to be proud of, good effort!

Thanks Phil. Appreciate what you said. Once my electric stuff comes there may be a video of everything working.

That's epic.

What I like is that you've kept everything in scale so you wouldn't suspect it has all the lights fitted until they're on..

Very nice work..

Matt

Thanks Matt. That is always my plan. I will let you into a little secret. Before I actually change anything from the original kit I always look at ways to cover up the work should it not work out as I wanted. So far it has worked for me.

Since building my Routemaster with lights (here) I have learned so much about keeping everything within the scale of the kit, especially the lighting.

Absolutely brilliant!! I am so impressed by what you have achieved with your build! Stunning at all levels and the lights are amazing! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

I'm looking forward to seeing more photos in the RFI section.

Kind regards,

Stix

Absolutely brilliant!! I am so impressed by what you have achieved with your build! Stunning at all levels and the lights are amazing! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

I'm looking forward to seeing more photos in the RFI section.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. I am always humbled to receive such kind comments from fellow kit builders (who I aspire to be as good as one day) and I am happy that they appreciate the hard work that sometimes goes into building these kits. :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/07/2016 at 7:00 PM, arni said:

Kevin,if you are into engines you must hunt down one of these!

34td7cp.jpg

Well, Arni, I've already done this and added lights and working fan at the rear too (a couple of pictures below). It was a great kit to do. It seems that I did not post it on here (surprise) but if you are interested you can view my pictures here. I also made a video here.

Side view

Front with Blues illuminated

Night view with side spot lights on

Edited by ukmodeller
update images

Ahh Gatport Airwick,the build is very nice indeed.

Thanks Arni. Hope you saw the video as it shows it better.

Due to the lack of British fire trucks kits I had to adapt it somehow to something that may have been used in the UK and Gatwick is my nearest airport, so............

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for those of you that may have been following this build and wondered why it has not yet been shown on the RFI forum, here is the explanation.

After checking the lighting throughout the build at every stage I glued everything in place and then began sorting out the wiring to the switch box. It was at this stage that, for some annoying reason, the blue flashing lights on the top failed to work. I managed to get the top of the box panel off again without any major surgery and proceeded to try and unravel all of the wiring to find the fault. After several days (being tangled by yards of wire) I decided to step away from it completely before one of us met their maker.

It was then that I received my Tank Transporter and Leopard Tank kit and decided to begain that build. Now that is all done, I have been back to the fire truck and have now sorted out the lights.

I just have to sort out the switch box and take some pictures and then the final photo's will appear. As will the Transporter and Tank.

Hopefully, there will still be some interest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm definitely still interested! Glad you were able to resolve the wiring issue. I look forward to seeing both RFIs!

Thanks, AD.

If medals could be awarded, you would probably have earned one. As from now the kit is now available for viewing in the RFI forum. Hope you like.

• 9 months later...

Your model looks fantastic, awesome job. I have just ordered the same kit for myself and hope to begin building shortly.

I was wondering if you could give me any information how you did your wiring? Intending to have a go at doing some myself. Got a reasonable amount of model building experience, but never done LED lighting, have been doing quite a bit of research into it, but still got quite a lot I'm not sure about. Apologies if you have already posted regarding wiring. 

• Like 1

On 19/06/2017 at 5:41 PM, Westy7891 said:

Your model looks fantastic, awesome job. I have just ordered the same kit for myself and hope to begin building shortly.

I was wondering if you could give me any information how you did your wiring? Intending to have a go at doing some myself. Got a reasonable amount of model building experience, but never done LED lighting, have been doing quite a bit of research into it, but still got quite a lot I'm not sure about. Apologies if you have already posted regarding wiring. 

Thanks Westy. Appreciate your kind comment.

Phew! I must admit that this was a tough one to add lights to due to the lack of space available, especially around the front and rear light panels.

Basically I used mainly 1.8mm Led's throughout and I used Kynar (on Ebay) wire as it is so thin and flexible.

For the front lights I used a combination of clear and diffused Led's as this gives a varied amount of brightness (ie: side lights not as bright as main or headlights). For the indicators I used orange Led's with a flashing Led put in line as this makes them all flash at the same time instead of using flashing one's that would flash at different times.

The main problem that I had was to fit all of the lights so that they cleared the space between the bumper and footwell. 

At the rear I had to shorten the width of the two accessory boxes so that I could fit the lower group of lights. Also I had to find a way to route the wiring looms so that they would go through the bodywork and up in between the accessory boxes. 

Again, the side panel lights were a real pain and there wasn't any room for the Led 'stalks' to fit so I really had to fiddle about with it to make it fit.

The best advice I can give you is to be very patient, look at my build pictures, decide to what level of lights you are going to fit and only fit everything when you are sure they will fit/work. Also, test, test, test the lights throughout.

The easiest part was fitting the cab roof blue lights (Blue flashing 5mm Led's) and the internal cabin lights as there was enough space to fit and route the wire.

I hope this helps somewhat and look forward to seeing the results in the forums.