North American F51H Mustang, Beechnut 1/72

Hi,

This kit I bought during my first short visit to US in Feb. 1996. Soon, in 1997 I made this model. This is an American short run by Beechnut company, with some scratch modifications. The painting scheme is (accordingly to my notes) of machine from 62FS USAAF, US 1945. I remeber that it was said that she took part in some vicory parade over Tokyo in early Autumn 1945, but I also remember that there was a controversy on this....

Here she is:

p51h DSC01007p51h DSC01006p51h DSC01005p51h DSC01004

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 11

HI AGAIN JERZY!!!!

HEY, LOOK MY FRIEND: YOU!!! ...are the person I need as a guide, the leader for this mission to Successland!!!

Since so many moons ago, as I have been impressed by the Allan Hall's fame Scale Aricraft Modeling Magazine ( More familiarly known as SAM), I was following the modeling scene from this side of the pond and was watching news about so many planes that the "Cottage Industry" as it was known at that time, have been bringing to the most...adventurous???...model people around Europe and other parts of the globe where this magazine would be bought...

I was always dreaming about the time in my life when it would be possible to have those main stream companies neglected kits as this one and many of others like those brand's items like the Vultee BT 13, North American BT 9, CAC Wirraway, Ryan PT 16-20, and North American F 51 H Mustang...well, some two years ago I bought some items of this Beechnut Models Brand that a very fine Canadian Lady was selling in Ebay...or better wanted to get rid of them in a fine way....I was watching at those models separately with other sellers but happened that the lady in question made me a very good offer if i Buy all...and bought all those for A VERY CHEAP quantity of money.

She told me that have to take in account that the models are far from being perfect but are workable AND there are not change or devolutions of this kind of kits, and I have read many reviews here and there and was watching what about them was said in may modeling forums, told her that I knew and was happy with them.

I WAS WATCHING your IMPRESSIVE work in this kit and for sure was watching each pic as if have all the time of the world to do that, really IMPRESSIVE!!!...so as you know, a modeler with not so many current hours in my modeling belt since so many time will need some guide about the job, so please be not so strange that when I will take the scalpel and will begin to CUT plastic for this one will be asking for help and will make some advices about this one, so, if you have cleaned the dust in you notes, please keep them ready at hand!!!. You made a proof about what can be done with a so rough kit as this one adn I will take my try too.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thank you Luis Alfonso, Jason and Trenton Guy for your nice comments. Indeed - the Beechnut kit was a very basic one, what to say more....

Luis - I will love to share with some tips, but since I made it in 1997 I am not sure if I will still remeber all what I did to improve the model - certainly the undercarridge is not left original since it was one-piece part for each side and I think I have seen it in my spare box not so many times ago. I remeber that I made something with canopy - but not sure what it was. And for sure I add exhaust pipes from a spare box....

What I remember - I was buying it in an far suburbia of Baltimore - this was also a kind of challenge to get adress of this shop and to find this shop using public transportation and walking a bit. Or even more then a bit... This was alredy outside my city map and there were no Google maps yet. I think I bought there another kit there - the Monogram F7 Tigercat, which I posted here already some year ago.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Luis - I will love to share with some tips, but since I made it in 1997 I am not sure if I will still remeber all what I did to improve the model - certainly the undercarridge is not left original since it was one-piece part for each side and I think I have seen it in my spare box not so many times ago. I remeber that I made something with canopy - but not sure what it was. And for sure I add exhaust pipes from a spare box....

Hi Jerzy!!!

When I will take this one to the bench I will ask for your help, because with kits like this one is needed a true veteran advice to succeed.

Thanks a lot and always following your posts as hope to succeed as The Beatles said: "With a little help of one of my best friends" , just for inspiration.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1