1/72 Spitfire 26

Cookenbacher

I had a setback with some Corsairs, and needed something in order to get 'back in the saddle', so I almost mindlessly started this whif: a 1/72 AZ Joypack Spitfire IX joined with the misshapen Special Hobby Mk 21 wing.

IMG_2906_zpsmdovia0p.jpg

The wings are not exactly a good fit, note the plasticard stuffed into the seams.

IMG_2907_zpstuadaiht.jpg

IMG_2921_zpsjyfi4ydj.jpg

IMG_2922_zpsdon3jsuj.jpg

The wingtips were clipped to just outboard of the ailerons.

The Spitfire 26 began concurrently with the Mk 21, retaining the plentiful Packard Merlin of the Mk XVI, which it was designed to replace - the Mk 26 being to the Mk 21 what the Mk XVI was to the Mk XIV - a low altitude fighter-bomber. The heavier wing somewhat hampered performance compared to the XVI, but allowed for greater range and larger ordnance loads for the fighter-bomber role.

Planned to be built in the thousands, only a little over one hundred were completed with 350 'bubble top' Mk 27's following behind (planners reserved Mk's 26-29 for Merlin powered late Spitfires). The Mk 27 is most famous for its use by the RAAF in the Korean War, alongside USAF P-51's, where its four-cannon armament and under-wing racket rails proved vital in the close support role.

I'm planning on finishing this Mk 26 as a post-War racer in a silver scheme.

• Like 6

My Mk.28 fits in well in with your series, but it has the big tailplane that you really need to use the aft tanks. Did you get those tailplanes spare with your spare SH wing? I'm assuming a Merlin 100 rather than the weaker PM 266, not that it makes any external difference. I'm also using a cutaway rear fuselage, for the aesthetics, but to get the best range then the earlier "high-back" is better, as that carries two aft tanks.

Another possible consideration is slipper wing tanks as on the Mk.47.

• Like 3

Good thing I can spot your left hand in one of your pics, I was starting to think this was some sort of robotized Spitfire production line .... :D :D :D

Hope this works as intended :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

My Mk.28 fits in well in with your series, but it has the big tailplane that you really need to use the aft tanks. Did you get those tailplanes spare with your spare SH wing? I'm assuming a Merlin 100 rather than the weaker PM 266, not that it makes any external difference. I'm also using a cutaway rear fuselage, for the aesthetics, but to get the best range then the earlier "high-back" is better, as that carries two aft tanks.

Another possible consideration is slipper wing tanks as on the Mk.47.

I've a feeling that Cookie has just used a full kit as spares - the SH late mark Spits are ideal for this and IIRC, there are short and long tailplanes in the kits as standard. Actually, with the abundance of spares in the various AZ/Admiral/KPM/SH/Sword Spitfires and Seafires, there's enough to build several oddities from the left overs. The forthcoming Eduard kits are only going to add to those spares boxes. :yahoo:

Cookie, how about a "clipped" 22? Actually, you're giving me ideas - contraprop clipped 21 with tanks and rockets in 2TAF markings for starters.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement Rob!

Giemme - I do have seven Spitfires on the go right now, and am very worried about when it's time to attach landing gears and props - we'll see if I can keep it all straight!

Wooksta - I admit I did a browse through your posts in order to see if you had done one of these, and to figure out what to call it! I found an AZ low-back Mk XVI for less than a tenner yesterday and it's on its way to become an RAAF Mk 27 - I've got a spare Mk XVIII rudder that will do nicely. Did you add a fillet to the leading edge of the vertical tail? Please build that 2nd TAF Mk 21!

Graham - Thanks for the info regarding the tanks and stabilizers. Wooksta is right about me cannibalizing the entire SH kit, the fuselage spine and tail section (including the 'short' horizontal stabilizers) went to converting an Airfix Mk 22 into a Mk 21, and I had the wings sitting around begging to be used on something. I wouldn't recommend the SH kit to build OOB, the fuselage is off (a bit 'dumpy' looking), and the wing doesn't look entirely right either (especially compared to the beautiful Airfix Mk 22), hence my clipping the wing to disguise it a little. At first I was disappointed in my purchase, but then realized that the SH kit is a bargain for all the parts you get, and ordered another! The Griffon noses will go to good causes as well I hope.

Max - I usually buff down a layer of metalizer then add the cockpit grey green (this is the first time I mixed Sky and Cockpit green for the color), and then scrape back the paint from the crow bar with a cocktail stick leaving it natural metal. But since this is a whif, maybe I should paint it red!

High praise form PC the Hutt, thanks man.

• Like 3

I've looked to see if I have a photo of my lowback hybrid but it appears that it's one of the few that didn't get photographed for some reason, likely running repairs. I used a complete Freightdog 18 tail unit plus resin 22 tailplanes and wing, so the fin is wider than the usual Merlin fin. Here's a clipped low level contraprop PR19 as compensation:

1500976_1649949315221198_623968209326860

More here: https://www.facebook.com/norman.church.5851/photos

7 on the go? Don't be such a girl! For Telford 2012 I had roughly 70 (but probably more...) on the go for weeks beforehand. And that's not exaggeration, I can provide eyewitness testimony.

• Like 5

High praise form PC the Hutt, thanks man.

I see my recent weight gain hasn't gone unnoticed. I'll lose it all once the baby gets older, honest.

• Like 2

Here's two of my takes on a Spitfire 26.

12931105_1748736582009137_75448190672940

12938179_1748736815342447_66842103559189

It's basically an RAF version of the Seafire 47 and any further ones I'll do will be intended for rough strips given that the u/c was beefed up for carrier use.

The first is based - loosely - on the Kitbits Seafire FR47, possibly the worst Spitfire kit I have ever seen and was salvaged by replacing almost everything in the kit bar the fuselage. It fought me every step of the way.

The second, in the rather fetching post war desert scheme, is the CMR 1996 tooling of the Seafire FR47. They got it wrong, with Spitfire 22 wheel bulges and the wrong canopy, so it was ideal for whiffing.

• Like 2

I do have the bits of the Merlin Spitfire 12 somewhere which I never even considered building as it was so bad. I never saw the Seafire 15 and never knew he did one.

Sorry, my mistake - it was (supposed to be) a XII; I foolishly attempted to convert it to a Seafire 15. I still have the remains somewhere...

John

Very cool whifs Wooksta, you can see why...wait a minute, 70 on the go at once!? :worthy:

PC, I'm sure you're not Hutt like in the least, except for your penchant for eliminating your enemies via sarlac.

John, at least you probably have some decent Spitfire whiffing bits left over from the 15.

IMG_2945_zps61r80spm.jpg

There was a method to the plasticard stacking madness above.

IMG_2949_zpsripzewum.jpg

The rudder is from the AZ Mk XIV/XVIII kit, I think. Whatever its provenance, it fits now.

IMG_2950_zpskbfp7pzb.jpg

• Like 4

More Spitfire madness. Excellent (he says in his best Mr. Burns imitation)! PC, if you are a Hutt, you don't happen to have a slave girl Princess Leia you're not using at the moment, do you?

Regards,

Jason

PC, I'm sure you're not Hutt like in the least, except for your penchant for eliminating your enemies via sarlac.

He knows! (Furiously mashes button next to chair.)

• Like 1

Very cool whifs Wooksta, you can see why...wait a minute, 70 on the go at once!? :worthy:

No, it's true I can assure you of that! It had to be carefully managed and I had a checklist to assist in doing it. Nearly drove myself insane but did mange to get 50 or so finished in time. Just wish I had a few photos of the display.

Anyhow, here's a few pics showing a reverse conversion:

13000359_1750872448462217_89837058375520

13010688_1750872475128881_50759325549672

12963739_1750872501795545_67627390208444

An AZ 22 fuselage mated to a Fujimi wing for a late mk XVIIIe. Can't remember what the unit is, one of the second line post war ones. The four gun armament is something Edgar mentioned as planned for the E wing but never implemented. The big tail would have certainly cured the stability problems. I have a hankering now to have another go at one, probably in camo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another beauty Wooksta! It carries four 0.50's? It just looks fast.

I got the primer on, and chromed up the cowling using Uschi pigments.

IMG_3200_zpsbco9qvk8.jpg

I sort of pre-shaded it as an experiment using the AK Xtreme metals black base. The stuff sprays very nice with no thinning.

IMG_3207_zps1ul4wwiy.jpg

On with the Xtreme metal aluminum.

IMG_3209_zpst3cuvluf.jpg

IMG_3215_zpsvfiq3ehi.jpg

The pre-shading may have caused too much variation, and I may post shade using Vallejo's water based Metal Colors, like on the Mk 21 that I panted at the same time, just to even it out a little.

IMG_3211_zps49onkm0j.jpg

• Like 5

Late to this one Cookie (I wasn't watching this forum) but caught up now and following... :popcorn:

If I didn't have a shelf full number of metal paints already I'd be tempted to try the Xtreme metal... well, perhaps one more won't hurt?