Ebbro Mclaren Honda MP4/30 2015 mid season version

Thanks for the comments guys and I have to say I was very apprehensive about these decals for this car given where they go on the car and the curves in those areas but ebbro have done a great job with them as they took micro sol and heat very well.

So I was going to start with the last clear coats on this today until this happened

20160423_173218_zpssxe2iobn.jpg

Just pressured it up and it made I loud pop while I 2as standing right next to it, I can honestly say it scared the poop out of me.

Need to wait a few days now for a new one to turn up so hopefully by mid week I can resume where I left off.

Shaun

Hello Shaun,

I've been following your build since I just bought this kit. Excellent work by the way! I do have a couple of questions though:

My instructions give a call out for Metallic Black - comparable to Tamiya TS-40 for the body. I noticed that you used the Zero Paints Graphite Grey. Is the Graphite Grey closer to the true color of the car? Is it possible that Ebbro did not update their instructions from the early version?

Are the Johnnie Walker decals from an after market set? My decal sheet does not contain them.

Thanks,

MIke

Thanks for the comments guys and I have to say I was very apprehensive about these decals for this car given where they go on the car and the curves in those areas but ebbro have done a great job with them as they took micro sol and heat very well.

So I was going to start with the last clear coats on this today until this happened

20160423_173218_zpssxe2iobn.jpg

Just pressured it up and it made I loud pop while I 2as standing right next to it, I can honestly say it scared the poop out of me.

Need to wait a few days now for a new one to turn up so hopefully by mid week I can resume where I left off.

Shaun

Drill it. tap it and put a bolt in there with some ptfe tape and your away again Shaun

Hello Shaun,

I've been following your build since I just bought this kit. Excellent work by the way! I do have a couple of questions though:

My instructions give a call out for Metallic Black - comparable to Tamiya TS-40 for the body. I noticed that you used the Zero Paints Graphite Grey. Is the Graphite Grey closer to the true color of the car? Is it possible that Ebbro did not update their instructions from the early version?

Are the Johnnie Walker decals from an after market set? My decal sheet does not contain them.

Thanks,

MIke

For me Mike personally if zero paints make a colour for it then it's the one I choose, so for this I have used the zeros graphite grey but It is a very tricky colour to work with and shows every single imperfection up which is why I redid the paint on this as I really wasn't happy with the first attempt. As for the ts40 that gets called out for body colour in both versions of the kit I think it's perfect for the darker areas on the early season car but for this version it's too dark, in a previous update I put this car next to a gtr build that I am also doing along side this and that car is painted with the same paint I used for the early season mclaren I think it shows how much lighter than ts40 this graphite colour is. The johnnie walker decals are from the acustion carbon decal set which I would very much recommend but if all the carbon isn't for you then the johnnie walker decals are available from hlj for a few pounds delivered. Hope this helps as for me this is a very nice car to build and I would highly recommend to anyone

Drill it. tap it and put a bolt in there with some ptfe tape and your away again Shaun

A new one has been bought which should be here by Wednesday latest plus I would have no trust in the original tank for future ruptures.

Shaun

Already on my radar injidup apparently they will be releasing sometime around the Hungarian gp this year (late july/early August) ironic really as it was mclarens best gp last year, I want at least 2 of the late season versions 1 for the British gp and 1 for Mexico and possibly if I can find a figure on for the Brazil gp with alonso sat on the barrier or in the beach chair.

Shaun

P.s. With the build my new compressor should be here when I get home so I can finish off a lot of the painting that needs doing

Edited by shood23

A small update for now as I have made a little mistake while prepping a part for decals and need another layer of paint

The front wing has been clear coated and had the carbon decals put on. For comparison purposes I have put the kit carbon decal above to see the difference

20160507_114200_zpstsc0ru6e.jpg

Also the rear wing endplates have had decals done with the correct colour segafredo decal as the kit supplies 2 kinds

20160507_114209_zpskpjx6bbz.jpg

More soon

Shaun

That livery looks so good, I'm now really growing to it as I was one of those hoping for either a Marlboro'esk white/red or even the original Orange. That shot of your body with decals looks stunning and am looking forward to seeing the finished car now.

Regards

John

Had a couple of free hours this afternoon and I used it wisely by polishing the mclaren

Not the best of light in my bit for pictures today but here goes

20160518_133049_zps3lm3nsso.jpg

20160518_133024_zps68bjv2zh.jpg

20160518_122759_zps1s5z7cfx.jpg

20160518_133004_zpsbdwwyynf.jpg

20160518_133012_zps7uaoifca.jpg

Just needs a dust off and maybe a wax then I can start sticking other bits on

More soon

Shaun

• Like 5

Thanks for the comments guys it's nice to see that some are still watching this lol

More from today

I have the front suspension stuck on the car now

20160520_153959_zpsoqowfqwc.jpg

A slightly novel thing I have found out recently on a different build is that my work area gets incredibly hot when it's a slightly nice day and if left in my area long enough in direct sunlight models that have been painted mess up alot, my guess is the plastic under the paint heats up and expands slightly and wrinkles the paint when it cools again so most of my painted bits now live in an old display cabinet in the other room.

I have the wheel nuts painted and stuck on just a bit of grubbing up needed to take the shine off them

20160520_153907_zps4fjs371e.jpg

Brake ducts/hubs have been fully completed for the front end but won't get stuck on until the floor pan is glued to the body

20160520_153920_zpsjcp0dg9o.jpg

The seat has had carbon decals applied in 2 different type and colours then sealed with tamiya smoke to tone it down a little

20160520_153848_zpsn8o8kmvg.jpg

The exhaust has been painted and been glued in aswell and a little heat staining on the end aswell for a little more realism

20160519_192241_zpstomxvk2v.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 2

Seriously thanks for the kind comments and John if/when you get one you won't be disappointed

Managed to get Some more work on the car today so here's the changes

I have added a few details to the seat some more accurate than others but anything to enhance the look

20160521_111123_zpsfzqzo1xu.jpg

Keeping in the cockpit area I have also put the carbon decals and the kit decals on the steering wheel

20160521_190952_zpsnjhtyqnd.jpg

This one is from late last night, the rear suspension has been finished and glued into the car

20160521_111148_zpslplb26q9.jpg

The wheels are now done

20160521_191015_zpsyecic7s5.jpg

One of the biggest achievements of today has been the floor pan has been stuck on to the body

20160521_191128_zpsefepxlzp.jpg

The cockpit has had the carbon treatment on the walls and the seat fitted snuggly

20160521_191149_zpsda4gez2e.jpg

I couldn't resist getting the wheels on for a test to see how it was riding and also to make sure it wasn't 3 wheeling

20160521_192756_zpsoqx6ytf4.jpg

So now the biggest bits are done its now on to all the little fiddly wing bits and small aero pieces

I started with the upper front wing elements by carboning the inner edges now I need to do the outer bits and maybe the leading edges aswell

20160521_191043_zpss07vgmpq.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 1

I wish injidup, it's odd as alot of my reference pictures shows the car in between full gloss and semi gloss but that one in the link is a full gloss car so it's hard to now what is right. I think next year will be easier though as I think most teams will follow williams and redbulls idea of this low drag paint which is a matt finish. The guys who make planes on here may just become my new best friends lol

Shaun

Small update

The last few parts that need carbon decals have been done

20160524_162136_zpsqdcjmjr3.jpg

Most of the rear wing has been stuck together

20160524_162147_zpsktvzl1pz.jpg

And no the rear wing is done

20160524_174736_zpsfjbhiscs.jpg

And now is on the car

20160524_180043_zps056g0otk.jpg

From the rear

20160524_180105_zpsylr6wvc5.jpg

Front wing has also been fully done just not glued to the car

20160524_174753_zpszib6yu5t.jpg

And lastly from above, the curves are nice but I can't wait to see if they make a 2017 car with the new swept back wings, almost like the 2000 Ferrari tamiya made but with new gen style aero

20160524_174758_zpshojigu7w.jpg

Not far to go on this now but I just need to make sure I don't do a silly mistake now and ruin the lot

More soon

Shaun

• Like 1