Ebbro Mclaren Honda MP4/30 2015 mid season version

Thanks guys and the carbon decals are made by acustion and I did but it really was only for the complex curves around the rear portion of the floor.

So as the weather has picked up alot since my post this morning I made it my sole purpose in life to finally get so primer on most of the parts and other paints on different bits

The floor pan was painted with semi gloss clear, after having great results with thinning down tamiya pot paints on my last build I have done the same with the clear coat here so it the x35 pot thinned with ipa (not the beer). Excuse the dust and crud on it our next door neighbour is having a new patio put in and I left the window open before taking my pictures this afternoon, none of it is stuck on to it I was just too lazy to brush it off

20160409_155017_zpsxbf5juio.jpg

The main body has been primed with tamiya light grey primer as it lays down a lot smoother than I can get zeros primers for some reason (maybe temperature related) it is grey even though the first pictures look pretty white

20160409_155223_zpstsiu4dq3.jpg

My scribed panel lines have stood up to the paint so far and haven't just filled up

20160409_155231_zpskv5onrco.jpg

And this is just to show it really is grey and how sun light really affect my crap camera lol

20160409_155117_zpsarpq8wzr.jpg

I have also primed most of the other parts but some will need more coats before I can get some colour on

More soon

Shaun

Thanks mickd I have only just started doing it myself with ipa, my normal use for it is to strip paint but I didn't want to be wasteful this time and ran the last lot through some coffee filters back into the bottle, it's a disgusting colour now but doesn't affect the paint when reusing it.

This is who I buy it from but only because I live very close to this business and can go in anytime to pick it up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-SHL-Brand-1-Litre-2-litres-Isopropanol-99-9-IPA-CHILD-PROOF-CAP-/370830030912?hash=item5657313840:g:lh0AAOxyYYlRsQbw

Hope this helps

Shaun

Tried that mickd and it didn't give me the buzz I was looking for lol

Right so with the car all remaining body/suspension has been primed now

20160410_131941_zps8myyqqul.jpg

Moving on to the hubs, I recall either in this thread or the one for the early season car that the hub/brake detail was poor for a kit of this price. Look they are really basic,effectively just doing the job of holding the wheels on

20160409_193330_zpsshtciy48.jpg

So I had a look in parts box and found the brake drums for a tamiya redbull rb6 and given how this is tamiya quality and only 5 years down the line from the rb6 how different can the brakes be given how most of the teams shroud the calipers and disks with "cake tins" as Ted kravits likes to call them. So I tried it and with a little trimming of the ebbro parts so the tamiya parts can sit flush they go on very well

20160409_193400_zpscxaa4vhd.jpg

The tamiya parts did need a bit of size adjustments for how far they stick out due to how the rims all but cover the whole assembly but a big sheet of sandpaper and a very precisely positioned bit of tape on each of the tamiya parts sorted that out and they do fit very very and hopefully at the end of the build they will add alot more realism than the original ebbro effort

20160409_224039_zpswnrd3ork.jpg

The last pictures aren't great due to them being taken under a desk light at 2am so I will take another once the primer has dried as it is alot easier to photograph grey than black.

More soon

Shaun

A better shot of the new/better brake details

20160410_181225_zpsmep8akwm.jpg

Much better than the original offering just need to clean up the join slightly and then I can get some paint and decals on them

Shaun

• Like 1

Small update

The body colour coats are now done just need to gloss coat before I can get some of the decals on. On the colour it is quite odd as from straight on it looks black or very dark grey but from others it has a blue hue to it and from my experience so far it's a very unforgiving colour

20160411_191334_zps2r4ksjbw.jpg

Aswell as the body today I have also painted all the wings and little appendages, all the suspension components, the wheels and all the brakes/hubs

20160411_191410_zps1z9jtw5q.jpg

More soon

Shaun

Right so a very brief word about my antics today. I started to clear coat the main body section and just wasn't happy with it what so ever so I have striped the paint from all the body and wings and I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Shaun

I think I went a little too thick to early as after it had dried over night it looked very wrinkly and just not what I am used to with zero paints and the finish even before it wrinkled was bugging me a little as in different lights it looked pretty blotchy, its almost like a flip paint colour as in the sun it looks a medium grey but under artificial light it looks almost black but it's having an ipa bath now so hopefully tomorrow I can start again. Now I know what not to do with the paint so this time it should look alot better.

Shaun

I've used zero paints colours on a mp4/13 and the grey was surprisingly dark but had a nice metal flake look. I did give it a polish before clearcoating it though to make it as smooth as possible. If you zoom in on the nose of this you can see the zero paint on the wing is slightly darker than the decal on the nose.18016076781_6041bcece4_o.jpg

Probably tamiyas fault not zero paints.

It looks to be a great finish though so even though if it were mine it would drive me insane that it didn't match perfectly I think I could live with it being that close, was this the mp4/12-mp4/20 body colour set zeros do or the match paints they do tamiya met black?

Right so I have to be honest I lost a little bit of enthusiasm for this while the paint was being taken off so the body hasn't been touched apart from cleaning off what paint I could since my last update. But... today has been really nice and sunny which has put me in a good mood (which even I am surprised at given how the f1 went this morning) so here is the body now

20160417_142804_zpsyoayckci.jpg

The ipa is very good at taking the paint off but oddly didn't touch my superglue/Plastic dust mixture at all but it did attack the normal filler I used very badly so that had to be dug out and redone so I now have wait a few days before I can prime it all up again. I would just like to say that tamiya primer is very strong as well as you can seen how much wanted to stay on.

In this time I have been working on the suspension parts and after what has felt like forever thus is what I have to show so far as there is a lot more to do

20160417_142711_zpsdwbueyrv.jpg

I started the new hubs as well but quickly realised that the carbon decals don't fit at all, if anything it looks like they would fit if the part was in 2d but with all the curves and flicks modern f1 has around the wheels there was no chance. So I have made some new templates with tape and used some carbon sheet I had here, they are far from perfect but a lot is hidden between suspension arms anyway also as I have added parts to the hubs I needed more carbon decals than I had

20160417_142727_zpsqe31kvob.jpg

And lastly I have painted the rims and added the makers decals to them

20160417_142749_zpsntquxhol.jpg

More soon

Shaun

Edited by shood23
  • Like 1

i think the paint is matched to the real car and tamiyas decals are wrong. i saw one bloke went to the trouble of cutting out and over spraying the decals on his one, something i sort of wish i had done.

you did a bang up job on the suspension parts, waaayyyy better than mine.

i think the paint is matched to the real car and tamiyas decals are wrong. i saw one bloke went to the trouble of cutting out and over spraying the decals on his one, something i sort of wish i had done.

you did a bang up job on the suspension parts, waaayyyy better than mine.

Not something I would have liked to of done personally with the cutting of decals but I suppose it's all about how prim and proper you want it to look

Shaun

Love the stripped look, hope Ron Dennis is watching!

It's really taking shape, keep the enthusiasm up, looking forward to seeing next to the early season car.

Regards

John

It would be a nice thought if he was watching lol but I think he has more important things to do at this point in time like make the real car quicker and who to drop next year to let vandoorne get a proper go.

So on with the build.

All the parts have been reprimed

20160420_121226_zpsgnaoqbjv.jpg

Body colour again is very hard to get a true picture of but this time the finish of the Base coat is a hell of a lot better, smoother with no patchy bits

20160420_165712_zpsppnbc5u0.jpg

From another angle and deliberately in sunlight to try and show the iridescent nature of this paint but I think it should show alot better once the clear coat is on

20160420_165654_zpsobslzwhe.jpg

The rims are now fully done after having the decals put on and a sealer coat of semi gloss clear

20160420_173526_zpsv8yvgm32.jpg

Painting of the brakes withing the hubs has started. It's very messy right now but will all be alot cleaner soon

20160420_131955_zpsbu5twfh5.jpg

And finally with the one hub that is finished I couldn't help myself and test fit the suspension arms to see how the different manufacturers of carbon look together

20160420_131945_zpscyi3vh1f.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 2

So my latest update of this build and it's going to be a good one

So the less exciting stuff out of the way first

The hubs are now very close to bing finished, just need to paint the centre area

20160422_154823_zpsmnxwostu.jpg

Tyres fit on to the rims like a glove this time, there was no need to take off a bit of the tyre inner part like in my early season car build ( I guess it was just a duff set I had that time)

20160422_154846_zpsjb3ja5mz.jpg

I then went ahead and gave the a roughing up on the contact area to simulate wear, it's a little too much to be honest so I will get some fine grit sand paper to tone it down a little, I mean I know the car last year was crap but I don't think it grained up the tyres this badly lol

20160422_154853_zpsp6ruhhz2.jpg

Getting into the better bits now

A quick picture to show the difference of the colour, this is next to the nissan gtr I am currently making in the slow days of this build. The gtr is metallic black which show nicely the level of greyness of this car

20160421_160651_zpsdojgnys5.jpg

I found a nice trick with the gtr which I am replicating on this, I have taken back the top layer of clear coat with a mid range sheet of micromesh (around 3600 or 4000) then just kept going through the grades on the areas that are going to have decals on, which is why some areas of the car in this picture look better than others but it will all look the same after the next couple of coats of clear and leave me with a lot less to do to finish the paint

20160422_130902_zpsesfiqhh8.jpg

And the good bit

Decals are all on, sorry I didn't take any mid way pictures bit I had a few fully uninterrupted hours earlier and made the most of it

20160422_154744_zpsevlsfanq.jpg

The johnnie walker logos are put on the mirrors

20160422_154833_zpsiu24a7in.jpg

And then I just couldn't help myself but just see how the finished suspension arms in for a quick mock shot

20160422_170311_zpsezcim2qb.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 3