Ebbro Mclaren Honda MP4/30 2015 mid season version

Another new build on the desk.

So some of you may have seen my early season mp4/30 build, this is the continuation of the 2015 f1 car builds. The early season kit was basically straight out of the box with very little added to it, this build of the mid season car is at the other end of the scale as I have bought alot of extra parts since I bought the kit and some of them have turned up now with only a couple still yet to turn up.

So the obligatory box shot

20160331_120954_zpsdloehkwu.jpg

The decals again seem very nicely printed with multiple options for the esso/Mobil1 decals for any given race from Spain until the British gp when the new short stubby nose came in. I have to admit I wasn't very pleased when they changed the livery of the car to this but it has grown on me over the last 10 months.

20160331_121023_zpsvhjamhmf.jpg

And one of the extras that made its way from Japan to me today. Acustions full carbon kit, the same they did for the redbull rb6 kit a few years ago so I know they are going to be a good fit and about right for colour depth. They don't cover every part fully but It does come with a biggish sheet on the back of the carbon to do other bits with.

20160331_121005_zpswqeveuyd.jpg

Plastic has been cut but nothing of any worth just yet so more will be coming very soon.

Shaun

• Like 2

So for its time for the first proper update

Heres is a little introduction for my plan with this thread, as some of you may have to seen I made the early season version of this car a short while ago so I am planning with this thread to make life easier when putting parts together and obviously also try and archive a good finish.

The early season build:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998192-ebbro-mclaren-honda-mp430-2015/

The early season rfi:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999484-ebbro-mclaren-honda-mp430-2015-early-season/

The 2 kits are the same effectively, both kits come with all the same parts apart from decals and when I come to these areas of the build I will be comparing both parts.

The early season car was basically built straight from the box with very little added, also while I was looking at the instructions I thought they were very well thought out and took the decision to follow them pretty close. With that experience I now have the knowledge of where the tricky parts of the kit are for fat fingered people like myself.

So now no to the plastic.

Being a very new kit the parts are very crisp and clean, with this kit they have been moulded in a darker colour which I can't see the point in to be honest as I would expect most who build this will be using primer so they could have been moulded in pink for all I care.

Here's a couple of sprue shots before my current progress.

The wheels are again very nicely done but as I said it's the same as before.

20160401_140559_zpskogbn73u.jpg

The floor is very clean as well and I can't be 100% but it does look a little different to the early car

20160401_140619_zpstpempkjt.jpg

The tyres are again very nice, I know I raved how nice it was to have the pirelli logos pretty printed on them in the early season car thread but I'm looking at this now and I think it makes it a little restrictive for what races you can try and replicate give the red marked pirelli tyres were only used at Monaco, Canada and Austria for this car spec, after the livery change and before when the new stubby nose was introduced at the British gp, personally I would have wanted to do the Spanish gp car when the new livery got put on the car but they used different marked tyres.

20160401_140642_zpszhhhoqnu.jpg

Right so my progress for today,

This next picture is the bottom part of the monocoque that holds the lower front suspension arms, in the picture you will notice 2 little mounting points ( the little sticky up bits) if you want the seemless look to the s-duct entry then these need to be cut off and the lower front suspension arms need to be cut in the middle

20160401_141618_zps6nk4yhjo.jpg

(Quick note to self, black plastic is as bad as the bright orange plastic in tamiyas 787b le mans car)

On the engine cover last time I had an issue getting the inner parts stuck in due to space, this time I chose to get them in early doors so I can fill and sand the join lines

20160401_140534_zpsjpyns1mh.jpg

On the front part of the body I had issues with the s-duct and antenna part not going in very well on the early season car so like above I have made that on of the things to get on first

20160401_140542_zpsxhgzidhc.jpg

Another bit that was tricky to get finished on the other car was these little tuning vanes, I had no problem getting them on but filling the joins was a bit of an issue but given the join line between the frontal part of the car (the big part in the above pictue) and the engine cover doesn't need filling then this Wat seems the best option

20160401_143143_zpssetptrxg.jpg

And lastly for this post I got the head rest glued on, making sure to get as little glur in the top side join as possible due to it being very visible when the paint goes on later

20160401_143949_zpsgbnnkulw.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 2

Looking good, that plastic has a lot of flow marks on it, hope it's not rippled to the touch in real life

I think alot of the marks on the body are my finger prints or just the lighting as it's pretty much good to go straight from the box

I have never built an ebro car, do they fall together and have the same level of detail as tamiyas

The fit is amazingly good. I may be wrong but I think the the guy who is the director of mmp (owns ebbro) Mr. Makoto Kiya worked at tamiya (in the moulds deparment) in some way in the not so distant past so they are very similar to tamiya quality.

Shaun

Shaun

Will be watching this thread with great interest, what you said about the quality of the kit makes me want to get their Lotus 88 now.

Regards

John

From what I have seen it looks good but the skirts come as chrome plated for me it will be hard not to strip it and use bmf instead

Take a look

http://s.ameblo.jp/ebr1998/entry-12137404788.html

Shaun

A fewhile bits done today not much though due to a spontaneous trip out.

I have made a start to the floor which is made up of around 6/7 bits in total but it's in this area where this kit is let down a little and is no where near the quality of tamiyas last f1 car

20160401_220606_zpsgswuny1n.jpg

I need to get the above picture looking like the below one, it's going to require lots of filling and sanding to get the almost seemless look

f1-united-states-gp-2015-mclaren-mp4-30-

Pretty odd as well that the most forward part of the airbox isnt part of the engine cover halves or a big separate piece, it's just what looks like the L shape wedged on the end

20160401_220631_zpsuwvntueu.jpg

The above picture has probably given away that I couldn't wait for a mock up of the main body parts but it illustrates perfectly what I mentioned in my last progress update about how the tuning vanes on the top of the side pods need filling on 3 out of 4 sides like the real car

20160401_220640_zpsa54xlae8.jpg

And a quick front view

20160401_220711_zpse7uulxvb.jpg

In this next reference shot I have it shows a panel missed out by ebbro, look just below where the johnnie walker sponsor finishes towards the front of the car, that is the vanity panel that teams have used since 2013 after the bulkhead height rule came in before 2012 to hide the ugly stepped noses, even with the new rules for 2014 teams still use these panels as they give the correct look but are in no way structural so don't break the rules

alon41-1_zpsuralbrhu.jpg

Basically I now have to scribe that line on to create a new panel, lucky enough I wasn't the first to spot this and pinched the chaps picture of how he has done it for model to model reference but never having the need to do anything like this I don't own a scribing tool. No problems though as a quick trip to YouTube showed me how to make one from one of those clicking pencils and a needle

20160402_193254_zps5aowwwgx.jpg

I drew the lines with all the pictures I had of the shape to hand roughly on masking tape on the body and coloured in with a sharpie so I could see properly where to go

20160402_164930_zpsv7ugrcoo.jpg

And a short time later ( overall from drawing to now it took around 1 1/2 hours ) I had this to show for it, I just need to deepen the lines slightly to match the depth and width of the kit lines to make it look like it was supposed to be there by overall I'm happy

20160402_170931_zpsqgdcymsf.jpg

More soon

Shaun

Having just read this back through I may be in trouble for the amount of brand placement lol

Edited by shood23
  • Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys, I have to be honest it's the first time I have tried to do anything like scribing but as you will see in a second I think it's turned out ok.

A progress report before I finally watch the race after being held up most of the day

I made a proper start on the floor today, given how much I need to do it would be dumb not to. But over most of the parts there are these sink holes where I guess is where they filled the moulds up so out with the super glue and sanded plastic bag to fill them all, when I say all I mean it as in every part on every sprue

20160403_104857_zpshbbum0gk.jpg

Look every bloomin bit has these marks

20160403_104912_zpsda2mqdp5.jpg

For some positive news u glued the 2 body bits together, it almost looks like a real car now, on a serious note being s this is the second time of doing this now I have realised that no glue goes on until you have the 2 bits mocked together, then a couple of clever placed dabs of super glue to hold into place from the inside and finally go around the join lines on the inside with proper glue like revell contacta or tamiyas liquid glue to give the proper bond.

20160403_163355_zps9ktvz4pe.jpg

While looking through my reference pictures I noticed that the instructions are wrong for this car as I couldn't find any picture from any of the races you can make it to look like that have the cooling outlets either side of the driver, all had the cooling outlets 1 side or the other. In Monaco last year the ducts were on the left side of the car with the right side having none.

20160403_124846_zpsci1wudx6.jpg

The car was now ready for priming so that's what I did. The first coat I always use as for seeing if I got my joins filled and sanded properly. From these pictures I have them pretty close on the first try which is nice

20160403_173816_zpsdbpl16ni.jpg

The vanity panel that I had to scribe from scratch shows up much better now the car is in a much better for pictures colour.

20160403_173839_zps31axss9q.jpg

On thing that has bugged me is that I forgot to put the camera pods on the front of the car as the join is much more noticeable with the final colour of this car and on the real car there is no join at all but it won't be that hard to add them, it just adds more time before I can put some proper paint on the car.

More soon

Shaun

• Like 2

Look every bloomin bit has these marks ...

Aren't these ejector pin marks rather than sprue gates? I think this I how they release sprues from high volume injection moulds, i.e. pushing it out at various points with circular rods (pins), to avoid damage to the mould or sprue. The mould filling points normally have an "uneven squidgy blob" (technical term) appearance.

Doesn't make them any easier to fill, but judging by the rest of your models I can't see them presenting you a significant problem. :)

Kirk

No progress on this today i had to take a trip to ikea again with the missus so ive been putting a load of Swedish stuff together most of the afternoon.

Thanks for the comments guys, injector marks you say lol Learnt something new today. They are a pain in the butt and are adding alot more time than they should for a kit that cost £40 but honestly alot are hidden when finished so it will only be the visible ones that get filled.

John I can happily say that I don't want to have to do those kind of curves on a car like this again, I did take a look at the Mexico version ebbro are going to release later this year and the panel that wasn't there on this one is on the Mexico car.

Shaun

I have done/finished off a few bits today.

A couple of days ago I filled the front areas of the floor as the placement lines were not in the right place and also in one of the previous picture it shows that the front portion of the floor looks to be almost seemless

20160405_162259_zpsztm584j3.jpg

Today I managed to sand off the excess filler

20160405_170656_zpsbp48kyi2.jpg

Also I sanded down the filler on the bottom of the floor for all those annoying injector marks

20160405_162306_zpsovgwquip.jpg

Most of the parts are now ready to be primed so I can really start moving this build forward.

Also this is why I haven't done much in the last couple of days, as a bribe for going to ikea to get a load of furniture we don't need then spending the best part of a day putting it together my other half allowed me to add another one of these to my collection, it's very empty now but it will be filled soon enough

20160405_173629_zpsthrs3vre.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 1

Wow John how do you have them suspended in between the shelves?

Finally I have managed to paint something

The gearbox/rear crash structure has been primed and painted gloss black, excuse the picture it was taken last night under a spot light sort of thing

20160405_215001_zpsc1qq9vr2.jpg

Today I have started the decals to give it the carbon look and I have to say these acustion decals are very good even though its the first one, they are perfect size but give the very slightest over hang, literally 1/10 or a mm, in the right places and they lay down incredibly well first time with no need for micro sol.

20160406_114839_zpsdyit3vju.jpg

And just for you John here is my cabinet with my most liked builds in

20160406_114355_zpsou4po7uu.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 2

Shaun

Like you, the only problem with the cabinets was the number of shelves, I admit your's is a much easier and cleaner solution, mine has been made from extruded polystyrene H sections, angles and tube, due to my anal tendances I castellated the beams to give it a more 'industrial feel', I like it but it does narrow the bottom shelf slightly.

IMG_3395_zpsifc6gxqh.jpg

I do take some pride with the car stands, its evolved over the years and am tempted to do something similar for my 1/20 cars (when I have enough to display) but the strengthening would be a problem, maybe clear acrylic?

SAM_4207_zpsajridvwr.jpg

Regards

John

• Like 2

A little progress with this as it now officially the only car I am working on

I have got the camera stalks glued on and a bit of clear filler (super glue to you and me) in the joins also the primer coat I put on to check the joins revealed that the s-duct panel wasn't entirely perfect so I have added a little more filler on top as it's a tiny crevice

20160408_224021_zpsii4kkpcg.jpg

With the way I have put the body together I have needed to cut the lower suspension arms in half so I can get them in when I need to

20160408_223753_zpsuoxobrth.jpg

The only problem is I now need to trim off this sticky up bit as it was the bit that helped with placement but on the early season car this wasn't an issue so I don't need it there

20160408_223840_zpszr3xkyf7.jpg

And finally I have painted and put the carbon decals on most of the floor

20160408_213953_zpsyxqegtqe.jpg

And the full shot

20160408_214008_zpsjne5zemd.jpg

I plan on having most of the parts that need carbon decals primed today and also hopefully most of the body parts and wings.

More soon

Shaun

• Like 2