Revell Merlin/Italeri Cormorant.

Hi folks,I,ve got free time now the last of my other GB entries is almost complete and thought it time I joined in with this superb

collection of projects.Being pay week which means buying time I was in the LMS yesterday and looked for a kit and chose this

re-box of Italeri's naval Merlin over the RAF version also on the shelf by the original maker,feeling sorry for the loosing contenders

offering I also bought their Sea Horse for a second entry if all goes well with this one.Here's the box top for now hope to get a start

tomorrow.

EH-101-Merlin-Revell-04410_zps4uvefdlr.j

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

Morning all,"cut" plastic yesterday and began the interior,now I,m very much a make it busy person on interiors and no super detailer so I,ve

restricted myself to using the walkround section here for colours and general detail and wether or not Italeri/Revell have given us a true

depiction of what's inside the Merlin I know not so appologies to the purists in advance!Here's the basic interior.

DSCN1088_zpss43lgich.jpg

And the eight part main fuselage I have glued the door/window panels in place although they can be left loose to

remove and show the interior.

DSCN1089_zpsm0jwkq1d.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Hi Steve and nice to see you in the GB :popcorn:

Cliff

Thank's Cliff,got a fair bit prep work on the interior so hope to update tomorrow.

• Like 1

Nice choice! With regards to the inside, it is quite representative, I don't think it comes with the sonar gear but it did fly with that stuff removed and seats fitted. Rodders is right about that window although I think the kit has a cut out on the inside for it. Just beware the cut out is for a full size cabin window when it should be half the size as represented on the box top. The walkarounds will give you general size. You could use acetate as suggested above or just Krystal Klear if you have any kicking around. Looking forward to seeing some progress on this.

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Rodders and Bob, I will certainly try and do the mod to the door.I,ve sprayed detailed and glossed the cabin interior and added the kit decals and a few more to give it a busy look.

DSCN1093_zpsdix5hfin.jpg

DSCN1096_zpscplx8gkt.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

Hi folk,s a little progress to report,I have assembled the tail and rear fuselage parts and the cabin roof and rotor shaft and sprayed the fuselage sides

in their gray finish so I can now mask the windows after fixing them into place so the masking tape can remain on till the finish.

DSCN1119_zpsyrydo5rf.jpg

DSCN1118_zps5pqczere.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Looking good Steve. Looks like a good kit, might still have to get one of these. The reason for the inset panels was to allow for the different window options across the range and not to show off the interior but that would be a good reason as the cabin door doesn't allow for much of a look see. A strip of plasticard fills the gap quite well.

Colin

• Like 1

Looking good Steve. Looks like a good kit, might still have to get one of these. The reason for the inset panels was to allow for the different window options across the range and not to show off the interior but that would be a good reason as the cabin door doesn't allow for much of a look see. A strip of plasticard fills the gap quite well.

Colin

Thank,s Colin, I fell victim to not reading the instructions again, there was a window to cut out on the port insert which was a pain to do as I had

fixed it in place! Anyway I got away with it and I,ve now closed up the fuselage sides.

• Like 1

Hi folk,s a little more done,as can be seen the window has been cut out and fitted and the tail fitted,I have used a bit of filler here and there but

all in all not a bad fit of parts.

DSCN1125_zpsukykdmh8.jpg

• Like 4

If all goes well with this one I may put on the sunglasses and have a crack at this one too,yes it is molded in bright yellow!

DSCN1126_zps9zamc2le.jpg

And this just joined the stash,

DSCN1127_zpsclozyklm.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

If all goes well with this one I may put on the sunglasses and have a crack at this one too,yes it is molded in bright yellow!

DSCN1126_zps9zamc2le.jpg

Nice choice! Although just beware that the kit built OOB is a prototype and needs a bit of modification to bring it up to modern standards, and spray it in grey primer straight away as the yellow plastic burns your eyes!

Bob

• Like 2

Thank's Bob I will look at photos to see what's needed I've decided to add this build to the thread and brave that yellow plastic.No modelling done for a

couple of days but an hour tonight and a bit more on the Merlin done and cut plastic on the Cormorant ready for spraying.

DSCN1130_zps3a1xcwkk.jpg

DSCN1131_zpsszelnjzd.jpg

• Like 2

Nice to see work underway on the Cormorant. I always feel awkward at self promoting some of my builds but below is a link to my Cormorant build in the WIP.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991893-definately-a-cormorant-and-not-a-shag-just-a-small-update/?hl=cormorant

I have tried to explain as many differences as possible with the kit version which I hope will provide an insight into building a modern version.......or you could always stick with the prototype :winkgrin:

Bob

• Like 1

Ha the curse of the double build strikes again! if you don,t know I work from a folding table in the kitchen which has "done" for a few models in

the past with kicked over paint and glue etc and it,s killed off the Merlin as the liquid poly has gone over and swamped her! thankfully the other

kit was in its box and survived, I have thrown the table out and will need to find a new venue for my building,so sorry for now I will have to

put this on hold as far as the Cormorant is concerned.

Hi Steve. Really sorry to hear what has happened. You have had no luck with that table and I'm glad you have got rid of it! I work on our kitchen counter so I have to set up and pack away before and after each build session and I keep all my modelling gear in a box file. Not ideal but it works. Hope you find a suitable way of working soon - and I hope it doesn't put you off modelling for too long!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

That is a shame, I was looking forward to seeing a cormorant being built up, although I don't work on a folding table I still manage to knock over my liquid poly all the time! :analintruder:

Hopefully it'll be sorted soon

Bob

• Like 1

That is a shame, I was looking forward to seeing a cormorant being built up, although I don't work on a folding table I still manage to knock over my liquid poly all the time! :analintruder:

Hopefully it'll be sorted soon

Bob

Thank's Bob I will re-visit the Cormorant before the GB finishes but for now I,m taking a break :winkgrin:

• Like 1