RAF RE8, Airfix, 1:72 - FINISHED!

Hi all, thanks for all the birthday wishes,

A little more progress to report. The lower wings now have all the tapes added and a couple of coats of primer. I have also made all new tail surfaces. The control surfaces have been separated and pinned, and the tapes have been added to those too. I'm pretty much waiting for my new micro saw now to be able to continue with the upper wing and get it all taped and painted....

34909776433_0308cb2f04_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 6

Thanks, Martin. I'm not sure quite how interesting a few pieces of white plastic can be, but I can certainly think of quite a few LESS interesting things....basketball comes to mind - I'm Stateside, and it's all over the sports channels at the moment as it's coming to the end of the season....which means soon there will be no more.. :yahoo:

I received my new micro saw from RB Productions today, so work has continued....

The rear mounting for the tailplane is in place, although I still need to drill the fuselage and insert pins for the front fittings..

35332158180_c477779d75_c.jpg

I have also repainted all the detail up front after repainting the nose, and the grey now has a gloss coat on....

35719299395_97bbdcfba1_c.jpg

I'm not sure what happened on the air scoop, but there's a weird patch that's appeared right at the front, on top. I'll need to repaint that part.
As for the upper wing, now that I have a new micro saw, I've separated the ailerons and added mounting pins.

35588447851_daa54c3126_c.jpg

What a difference that new saw makes...straight line cuts with no need to add pieces of plastic strip and sand to get them straight! Much easier!
Tomorrow looks like it's back out with the tape......

Thanks for watching!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 5

Hi folks,

It seems I've put in lot of time for not much in the way of results. I attempted to blend in the ribs, first with paint, then with Mr Surfacer 1000, neither of which seem to have done the job. The Mr Surfacer seemed to be ok when I applied it, but when it dried, it shrank, and basically left me with nothing more than a grey patch either side of the rib. I have ordered some Mr Surfacer 500 in the hope that it will do the job - if not, it's back to the drawing board.....

35550526262_1e68865081_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in...

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

It was the wings that ultimately stalled my RE8 build. One thing I was getting quite far with however was something I read somewhere about embossing the underside of thin plastic sheet with a ball point pen and gluing that to the wing. I couldn't get it glued down quite to my satisfaction but the look of the ribs is really quite effective.

Here is an excellent example of the effect from a quick google image search:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/644810/thread/1437573073/last-1437701390/(View+All+Messages+in+this+Thread)

Hope you come up with something that pleases you - I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished!

Thanks, that may be the "back-to-the-drawing-board" solution if plan C fails. I've used it before (on my Revel Morane-Saulnier Type "N" build) - it's tricky, especially on a curved fuselage, but it works very well..

Ian

There is a build of that Type N on here but I couldn't get a link for some reason

The Mr Surfacer duly arrived and today, along with small bits here and there an my other projects, I applied it along all the rib tapes. It looks a right mess, but I'll clean it up when it's dry and give it a shot of white to see what it looks like...It can always be removed.....

35719297615_e9288e1fa3_c.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

Not much progress today, but I did get the wings cleaned up a bit and a coat of white on them.

Here's how they look now, I'll take a closer look tomorrow to see what, if any, further cleanup is required.

34909740853_d1bdfc6cb8_c.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Well, after a long break, I've got some more done on this one.
I put a quick coat of PC10 on the upper surfaces to see how they looked and since I am happy with that, I have now masked up the under sides ready for a coat of CDL.
35332494170_dbcb0dac34_c.jpg

After that is done, the masking will be removed and another thin misting of CDL applied to blend in the rib tapes a little.
Thanks for looking in,

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 5

Here's how the wings look now.

First, after the first coat and with the masking removed - it's a lot quicker to remove it than apply it!

34878005424_ffe9fb661b_c.jpg

and then after the final thin coat to blend the rib tapes in a little

34877963634_b699e6f89e_c.jpg

The next step is to put another coat of PC10 on the top surfaces, then mark out and drill the strut locations and the holes for the rigging. Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 4

I got the undersides masked and sprayed the PC10 today and I'm happy with the results...

35588444991_07c862a23a_c.jpg

The ribs are still not quite as good as they maybe could be, but I'm happy with them...room for improvement on the next one though.
I'm very happy with the wing undersides though. When I masked off the undersides, I cut the masking tape to shape using the wing itself and then inset it a little to allow for the wrap around of the PC10 and it's come out very nicely - I'll certainly consider using the same method for any Nieuports I build in future.

35719292385_d9d17e2256_c.jpg

Now onto the struts etc....
Thanks for watching,

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 6

Thanks Adrian, welcome aboard!

I started on the struts today. Or more accurately, I started to carve the struts from the lumps of plastic that came with the kit! I've seen thinner sprue than this!
This is what comes with the kit - I've already shortened them all by about 3mm and started to thin and shape one of the aileron connection struts...

35332191920_1a95772584_c.jpg

and then on to the interplane struts....

35332156570_e19dcef5dc_c.jpg

34877976334_8e753331dc_c.jpg

I have the advantage of having an oob built example which I can compare to the plans to see where the adjustments are needed. It looks as though the upper and lower leading edges have about the right gap between them, but the trailing edges are about 1.5mm too far apart, and the gap widens towards the ends of the wings - the kit dihedral is not equal on upper and lower wings! That also gives me some measurements for the struts. I have now done both aileron connector struts and one pair of interplane struts. I hope to finish the rest tomorrow....

Thanks for looking in!

Ian
Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

Thanks all for the comments.

There's been a fair bit of work done, but not much to show visually. all the struts are now finished and have the pins added, except the cabane struts which I think I sanded down a little too thin and I can't drill them.
34878004094_bc852cda37_c.jpg

That will mean that the wings will be fitted slightly differently this time - interplane struts first and then the cabanes will be glued in place. All the strut locations have been drilled and the tie straps have been marked on with a fine marker.

35588440731_42577e003c_c.jpg

35332155930_5203cbccaf_c.jpg

I have come to a halt for now until I receive the new drill bits I've ordered. I ran out of the size I needed and the rigging holes need to be drilled before any more of the detail is added so that I don't knock it all off again!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 5

Good work! If the cabane struts are too thin to drill, it might be worth replacing them with items built from Contrail strut section.

Martin