THE RHINO IS DEAD, SMASHED TO PIECES.

Badder

That does look a nice build, nice job Badder.

Looking good Badder, your not hanging about with this one

Thanks guys, but work will slow for a while now.

It was a sad, sad day yesterday, in fact it's been a sad, sad week and a half... My wife and I have lost two of our 3 horses to colic in that time. We had to have Nancy put to sleep Thursday before last and Zachariah yesterday. We're absolutely heartbroken. Nancy and Zach were a devoted couple and I'm certain Zach gave up on life once Nancy had gone. My wife is inconsolable and even the vet was upset about it... losing two in similar circumstances, with no previous indications of illness, in such a short time, is virtually unheard of.

Anyone who thinks horses are thick is mistaken. I've witnessed first Zach then Rosie mourn and do things that have made me break down in tears. Now poor Rosie is all on her own, grieving just as much as we are.

Badder

It's nice the Little beast for now...sorry for your losses, we all know what that is...best regards Badder :thumbsup2:

sorry to hear about your horses

I can only add my sympathy.

Thanks guys..... I'm certain Zach died cos he couldn't live without Nancy.. they were very much a couple. Anyway, they are both together again now and although upset for my wife and the remaining pony Rosie, I found myself wanting to take my mind off things and crack on with this project.

So, I've applied base coat of dark yellow then dark green and red-brown cammo. Now, I haven't worried too much about the cammo as the whole thing is going to be covered with white. I've only once done winter cammo before, way back in my youth, so this is going to be a challenge... I will be using the hairspray/salt technique s well, with lots of chipping (now that IS a first for me)

Pics in a mo.

Rearguards,

Badder

The gun is just balanced and without the mount, the sides are dry fitted and only the exterior has received cammo. It aint a neat job, but it doesn't have to be. 90 percent will be hidden by winter cammo with just some chipping and weathering exposing the underlying colours.

570082DSC01864.jpg

mini_871080DSC01865.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder

Sorry to hear about your horses Badder,next door to me have one and a pony and they are lovely animals....The tank destroyers looking good....

Thanks Vince, it's heartbreaking, but with them dying within days of each other the 2 losses run together and in a way it's probably a blessing, for Zach if nothing else.

Badder.

Sorry to hear your sad news Badder. Like you say it is probably a blessing but not easy for you or your wife.

Not easy at all mate. We had to witness Zach and Rosie grieving over Nancy's death, then Rosie grieving over Zach's death. They really do know what death is, and although they can't shed tears they whine and whinny over the body and try to get them to stand up. Then when the body is gone they get awfully depressed and stand over the spot, sniffing and calling out. We are really worried about Rosie now. She's in shock and all alone in a big field and aged 26, she probably doesn't have many years left in her as it is. We pop over and see her every hour or so, but she's clearly depressed and doesn't like it when we have to leave her. We don't want to put her in another field with strange horses cos that can be very stressful, so we are thinking of getting a rescue donkey to keep her company.

It's just very fortunate that the wife and I have this week off on hols.. so we can deal with it all.

Badder

Next stage (when circumstances allow).... to give everything a coat of acrylic gloss varnish and apply decals. The gun will be treated as a separate model until the final fixing.

TFL

Badder

Bit of a mishap with the gloss varnish and decal application. I think I will have to find a different brand of varnish. I know a lot of people use that floor polish stuff, but I can't seem to find it in any of my local shops. Anyway, the main problem was that I've lost my Micro-set bottle, and applied the decals just using Micro-sol. Somehow I managed to ruin two decals and remove some of the cammo paint and base coat. Never mind. The whole thing is going to be whitewashed and heavily weathered and chipped, so none of this is a complete disaster.

So, after varnishing, the decals have been added and the side armour plates have been fixed in place. The fighting compartment has been given several washes of red-brown and very dark brown, likewise for the gun assembly. You may have noticed that I haven't mentioned the wheels. These will be done AFTER I've finished the 'whitewash' on the upper hull, lower hull and suspension... I intend to go heavy on the ice, snow and mud.

Pics later, TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder

Bit of bad luck with the varnish. The whitewash and your skills will sort any issues out.

I have had good results with Vallejo gloss and find the matt will flatten anything. I normally put a few drops of W&N flow improver and a couple more of ultimate thinners in with the varnish and it sprays like a dream. 2-3 thin coats gives a nice smooth tough finish for decals to go onto.

• Like 1

Rear panel only dry fitted, gun just balanced roughly in place.

.512320DSC01899.jpg[/u

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

Real shame to white wash that cam fella, looks great as is :)

Thanks Dads, but the cammo was never intended to be spot on. It really is quite rough, freehand and with quite a bit of overspray. The photos don't show it for what it is. I really wanted to try a winter cammo and with the large flat side panels and the not-to-complicated shape of the whole thing, I thought the Nashorn would make a good kit to start with.

Rearguards

Badder