Pacific Sherman Dragon M4A2 1/35

beefy66

Starting to really come together now mate.

Cheers

Dan

Thanks Dan

Nasty work on the old tranny case Keith, a spot of major surgery it would appear. Coming along nicely now though :winkgrin:

Thanks Julian

Beefy

well slow but steady after getting some inspiration at the Scot Nats last weekend started to add some stowage and a tarp and have cleaned up and stippled some filler on the turret joint

IMG_2865_zpsfi8ldaza.jpg

Beefy

• Like 3

It is part of a gauze from a burns bandage being a first Aider at work has a couple of perks when you only use part of the gauze on a small injury

Beefy

• Like 1

Beefy: That's coming along lovely. Haven't seen a pacific Sherman in a while, so I'll be interested to see what you do with this.

Work waste can be great, can't it? Mine is supplying my whole new patio surface, free pavers beats paying out for wooden decking any day, harder wearing, too. ;)

AgentG: I disagree with the whole marine diesel argument. Having watched the Operation Think Tank videos several times (found Here, if you haven't seen them I encourage you to, they come out with some great snippets, and they are good for a laugh as well) It seems the Marines took the Diesel M4 because they could get it quicker, since the US Army only wanted Petrol M4's to go to ETO. Of course I am happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

AgentG: I disagree with the whole marine diesel argument. Having watched the Operation Think Tank videos several times (found Here, if you haven't seen them I encourage you to, they come out with some great snippets, and they are good for a laugh as well) It seems the Marines took the Diesel M4 because they could get it quicker, since the US Army only wanted Petrol M4's to go to ETO. Of course I am happy to be proven wrong.

Actually that assertion is as good as any other!

It's most likely the real reason. Marines are always waiting and wanting, hence the motto, Adapt, Improvise and Overcome.

G

• Like 1

Ok small bit of work done on the fenders been trying to play with my new toy a rolling and bending jig got this from Modelling Tools ( Little cars ) a while back just getting used to it and quite chuffed with the results so far

IMG_2874_zpsp2woj9qo.jpg

IMG_2873_zpstrg1acsw.jpg

Beefy

• Like 5

Nice work Beefy mate.

The brass fenders look spot on.

Glad you sorted that front end out, I would be :badmood: if that happened to me lol.

Foxy :coolio:

Nice curve created with the rollers. Coming along nicely Keith :goodjob:

Thanks lads this brass stuff used to give me the jitters but as long as I take my time with it so far so good.

Beefy

Thanks Francis well construction is almost done added more PE details head light guards and side skirt brackets

In some photo reference I have these Marine Sherman's have what looks like small brackets on the side of the hull would these have been for adding camouflage to the hull when in the jungle areas

IMG_2879_zps4ckpnbpt.jpg

IMG_2880_zpsu2flja4r.jpg

Beefy

• Like 2

Great work on the PE Keith. If you are referring to the long strips with perforations on them I have no idea. Looks like a way to fix fenders or mudguards but I will undoubtedly be proven wrong here :winkgrin:

I think Gremlin is right about the perforated strips, if you look at pictures of M4A1's in Tunisia, you'll see a lot of them have full length sand guards over the upper track run. Could also be to add tinwork when the tank is wearing extended end connectors, either way I'm pretty sure they weren't intended for adding foliage to.

Of course that's not to say that the Marines in question didn't do it anyway!

The build is coming along nicely!

Those strips were welded to the hull and used to attach the sand shields.

Marines used very little foliage for camouflage. In that arena it wasn't worth the effort.

Brackets welded to the hull were most likely for mounting the wood plank side armor. Do you have any photos?

G

Edited by AgentG
  • Like 1

Great work on the PE Keith. If you are referring to the long strips with perforations on them I have no idea. Looks like a way to fix fenders or mudguards but I will undoubtedly be proven wrong here :winkgrin:

I think Gremlin is right about the perforated strips, if you look at pictures of M4A1's in Tunisia, you'll see a lot of them have full length sand guards over the upper track run. Could also be to add tinwork when the tank is wearing extended end connectors, either way I'm pretty sure they weren't intended for adding foliage to.

Of course that's not to say that the Marines in question didn't do it anyway!

The build is coming along nicely!

Those strips were welded to the hull and used to attach the sand shields.

Marines used very little foliage for camouflage. In that arena it wasn't worth the effort.

Brackets welded to the hull were most likely for mounting the wood plank side armor. Do you have any photos?

G

Thanks for the feedback lads

I have been working from the information I have been reading in a book Modelling the M4 Sherman it is by AFV Magazine

Unfortunately I can not find any photo,s of these brackets added to the hull sides but in the book they do look like they are positioned were the planking may have been fixed to

i have marked them on the hull in pencil but this is as far as it goes will now just prime the model and paint using these Vallejo paints and weathering sets

IMG_2881_zpsggr5vph7.jpg

IMG_2882_zpsnkelmjxj.jpg

Beefy

• Like 3

Based on where you have made the marks, I would suggest those were the brackets for mounting the wood planks.

On Okinawa, the 6th Tank Battalion added some curious armor plates to their M4A3 tanks. They were steel plates welded to steel bars to give some stand off from the hull. They were located where the older dry storage tanks had their applique plates welded on.

I tried that on a previous build, then covered the entire side of the tank with track links. Well at least I knew they were there.

:banghead:

G

• Like 1

Based on where you have made the marks, I would suggest those were the brackets for mounting the wood planks.

On Okinawa, the 6th Tank Battalion added some curious armor plates to their M4A3 tanks. They were steel plates welded to steel bars to give some stand off from the hull. They were located where the older dry storage tanks had their applique plates welded on.

I tried that on a previous build, then covered the entire side of the tank with track links. Well at least I knew they were there.

:banghead:

G

Thanks G may try that with the next build I have planned later in the year

For now though I got a bit carried away with my painting and just rushed through it and gloss varnished the tank then added the decals went for Colarado

IMG_2883_zpscukhhjnf.jpg

IMG_2885_zpspuhtqawj.jpg

Then added a coat of matt varnish will now paint all the small details tools and stowage before adding some washes

IMG_2886_zpsqmwdylyj.jpg

IMG_2887_zpshqb85fyj.jpg

Cheers for looking in

Beefy

• Like 6

Thanks G may try that with the next build I have planned later in the year

For now though I got a bit carried away with my painting and just rushed through it and gloss varnished the tank then added the decals went for Colarado

IMG_2883_zpscukhhjnf.jpg

IMG_2885_zpspuhtqawj.jpg

Then added a coat of matt varnish will now paint all the small details tools and stowage before adding some washes

IMG_2886_zpsqmwdylyj.jpg

IMG_2887_zpshqb85fyj.jpg

Cheers for looking in

Beefy

Looking good Keith, nice work !

• Like 1