1/48 - BAe Harrier T.2/T.2A/T.2N/T.4/T.4N/T.8 by Kinetic - released

Homebee

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Schemes + decals

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Kineticmodel/posts/854179661415813

Ok, a still image to let you know the marking... (10 markings 4 countries)

1. Royal Navy Harrier T.8 ZD990, 899 NAS, 2006
2. Royal Navy Harrier T.8 ZB605, 899 NAS, 1996
3. Royal Navy Harrier T.8 ZB604, NAS 899, 1996
4. Royal Navy Harrier T.4N ZB605, NAS 899,1985
5. Royal Air Force Harrier T4A, XW265, 233OCU, 1992
6. Royal Air Force Harrier T2, XW266, 233OCU, 1975
7. Royal Air Force Harrier T4, XW272, Mp. 4 SQN 1980
8. USMC TAV-8A, VMAT-203, late 1970
9. Armada Espanola (Spanish Navy) TAV-8S 8 Escuadrilla (Sqn) 1988
10. Royal Thai Navy TAV-8S, 301 Squadron, late 1990.

L’image contient peut-être : texte

Aucun texte alternatif disponible.

L’image contient peut-être : avion
L’image contient peut-être : avion

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

Test build.  :analintruder:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Kineticmodel/photos/a.226570047510114.1073741828.129238860576567/855629431270836/?type=3&theater

Ok finish the first T1 build and adjustment report sent. Expecting final pre production next week!

From this T1 built, for those has experience on our FRS1 or FA2, this version has a new created part for intake and realign wing to fuselage fit. It remove all issue in previous version.

21617803_855629431270836_171404780794834Aucun texte alternatif disponible.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

Looking forward to this version of Harrier might have a couple of these :D

Guy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a close look at the sprue shots in general it looks quite nice and should build into a good representation of the T bird.

There are a few easily fixed problems that are obvious on the sprues.

Inboard pylons -  have the kinked leading edge are of  the type used exclusively by the Royal navy single seat Harrier and are not representative of the two seater pylons. usually easily fixed with a bit of judicious cutting!

Rocket pods -  There appears to be  something that supposedly represents  Matra 155 18 shot SNEB rocket pods and  some 36 shot 2" rocket pods. Both look a bit out of proportion on the sprue,  the tail fairings of both appear to be  wrong, but the real killer on both types is that the rockets are sticking out of the noses of the pods which is good for a Aviation trade show display such as Farnborough with the weapons  set out around an aircraft, but totally unrepresentative of the real thing.  

the Bombs look a bit dodgy too! 

The wing outriggers appear to be moulded with groundlocks fitted which is OK for a parked aircraft but  not good for a taxying jet diorama.

Can't see too well on the images but it appears the rear cockpit canopy  has moulded MDC on it, but the front does not seem to have it, Jury out,need better images?

The Etch fret only has  the long seat straps on it. All Harrier GR and T birds had short shoulder straps prior to mid 1981.  The seats look very accurate otherwise certainly better than most aftermarket Mk 9 seats which are usually late model Jaguar seats with the modified head box that The early Harriers never had fitted.

The other weapons sprue is pure Sea Harrier with AMRAAMS, Sea Eagle etc. I think the only usable bits will be the AIM9L's which were a late fit and not seen on the ealy T birds.

Selwyn 

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

Gary - (from page 1) Just to clarify you WILL be able to build a TAV-8A or TAV-8S from the Kinetic Harrier T2/4/8 kit, but will need the US style Stencil IIIS seats, which can be obtained as resins from Wingman models, ref WMF48002. The kit was originally intended to be issued with UK markings only but minds changed it seems! You will NOT be able to build a 2nd generation Harrier II AV-8B / TAV-8B from the Kinetic kit. In 1/48th scale there  are the Hasegawa/Revell boxings in 1/48th scale.  I'm not going to mention Trumpeter's 1/32nd scale effort as that needs so much work - see previous BM threads by Piero De Santis. In 1/48th scale, who knows what Kinetic may do next...?

Selwyn et al,

Despite a lot of input from two IPMS(UK) Harrier SIG members (Chocks Away and me) with the two-seater kit on the airframe side (NOT the ordnance CADs) there are some known issues with the kit we are "disappointed/frustrated" with but which, presumably, are brought about by the economics of kit production...

The BIG POSITIVE! - For the first time ever you have a 1/48th scale first generation Harrier two-seater kit which will enable you to make all marks of the aircraft - the T2, T2A (more powerful engine), T4 (more powerful engine again), T4A - pointed nose, RWR fin, original tail-sting, T4N (Navalised T4 for SHAR FRS1 training) and T8 (uprated for FA2 training with Doppler panel bulge ahead of front u/c bay) - with two nose options (original/LRMTS), 3 fin options (original/tall/RWR fitted), 2 tail-sting options (original/RWR) and a separate Doppler panel for the T8. Overall, the fuselage, cockpits, canopies, noses, fins and tail-stings are accurate. The kit instructions do provide guidance on the nose/fin/tail-sting combination needed for each marking provided.

The BIG thing to remember with first generation two-seater Harriers is that the mark reference T2-4 does NOT indicate what nose/fin/tail-sting combination was fitted; but refers to the mark of Pegasus engine fitted. That's why you see T2s and T4s with original and tall fins, original or laser noses and original or RWR fitted tail stings. Yes, it's a minefield! BUT... DON'T PANIC! The Harrier SIG has this covered and will be publishing guidance at Scale ModelWorld.

Yes, you will also be able to make G-VTOL from the kit, with a few scratch-built additions; the VAAC Harrier two, with even more scratch-built items, e.g. the under fuselage pods. As mentioned above, you can also make TAV-8A and TAV-8S from the kit, with replacement seats. Sadly, no Indian Navy T60 markings included but, if you have a Kinetic FRS1 kit you could raid that for markings.

The Not So Goods - from Selwyn's comments on the sprues...

Inboard pylons -  Yes, they have the kinked leading edge are of the type used exclusively by the Royal navy single seat Sea Harrier and are not representative of the two-seater or GR1/3 / AV-8A/S pylons.

To fix > A bit of judicious cutting and sanding.

Rocket pods -  These were wrong in the SHAR FRS1 kit and are on the same sprue form that kit as the FRS1 type wings; need for the two-seater, so Kinetic have added an existing sprue to the box, rather than use a new sprue. In the FRS1 they were meant to be the RN 2-inch pods but someone clearly mis-interpreted things.

No easy fix!

The wing outriggers appear to be moulded with groundlocks fitted which is OK for a parked aircraft but not good for a taxying jet diorama.

They may also have the SHAR tie-down rings on.

Both canopies have laser-cut MDCs in them - beautifully rendered.

Seat straps - at least we got the long versions which can be cut down; rather than the other way around!

IFR probe - Despite saying the longer two-seater version was needed, only a single seat probe has been provided.

To fix > add a short extension from rod.

Agreed on all other ordnance comments - We suggested what should be included, e.g. 330 gallon tanks, CBLS units, providing RTS information for the two-seaters to Kinetic but what we got was SHAR stuff, the majority of which cannot be fitted as it was not carried. So, we'll need to go aftermarket for those. (Come on you after-market guys, get in the mix, there's money to be made from Harriers! Stores, corrected IFR probe, VAAC and G-VTOL modifications, so do something different please than your usual PE for cockpits or resin MB.Mk9 seats. Thanks!)

And, finally... Please, please do not drop BOTH ailerons on the two-seater or any other first generation Harrier, i.e. GR1, GR3, AV-8A, AV-8S, single seaters. The ability to drop both ailerons was a Harrier II development ONLY, i.e. AV-8B series, GR5/7/9 and the two seaters - TAV-8B, T10/12.

As mentioned briefly above, after a lot of work by Chocks Away (with a little help from me) at SMW in November, the Harrier SIG will have some information sheets available to help people with their two-seater builds. To save on mass printing, these will be laminated draft copies not to be taken away. Once finalised, we'll upload the pdfs to the Harrier SIG site (from where they can be downloaded with a link to their location their on BM) after the show when we have had a chance to look at the sprues "in the plastic", so to speak. Patience please! I ask you here NOT to pester us for information before we are 100% happy to release it, thank you. Good things come to those who wait... Like this kit.

Fo which, I must say a very big THANK YOU! to Raymond and all his team at Kinetic, especially Laurent Stern, for doing what no British or other kit manufacturer has yet done, despite many requests... Kinetic have given us (i.e. you!) not only the best SHAR kits yet produced but have now given us (i.e. you, again!) a first ever styrene kit in 1/48th scale of a two-seater first generation Harrier. Yes, with the above items all fixed, it could have been 100%.

But, we have an accurate airframe to work with and, we are all model makers, aren't we? So what's to stop all/any of us from being able to make some fantastic Harrier two-seater models from the kit. I look forward to seeing many on BM in the future... and at SMW too.

Talking of the future, I believe that Kinetic still intend to release models of all the UK Harrier family in 1/48th scale, which means the GR1/3 and GR5-9 plus the T10/12 will follow; which equals lots of Harriers to look forward to! If you want second generation AV-8Bs and TAV-8Bs too, then I suggest you contact Kinetic via Facebook and let them know there's a demand out there.

Best wishes, happy (vertical) landings!

Nick

(Now to get back to GR9A ZG477...)

Edited by NG899
Added in the not to drop the ailerons bit!
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I'm almost afraid to ask because I don't want to appear negative - this is a kit I've been waiting for almost as much as the GR1!!

Question is: are all the vortex generators now present on both wings or is a minor bit of surgery needed?

Looking forward to getting mine!

Nick

As Nick (NG899) has said, there are a few things to correct - plastic-wise as well as instructions-wise. Certainly nothing that will stop you in your tracks. As an example, it says T2N as a variant on the box cover, but you wouldn't stop buying it just because it says that, would you? Okay, I've seen a hand go up at the back. There's always one! Some of us have to make mistakes in order that the perfect folks stand out from the crowd, else we'd not notice you.

With the kit, FRS.1 kit, Model Alliance decal sheet MA48153 and/or Vingtor decal sheets 48109 and/or 48118, you can pretty much do any Harrier I trainer that flew from a markings and schemes perspective. And with a little home effort and an inkjet printer, even the T8s at the SFDO.

So if you're into one of a kind, you'll probably need 10 kits or so - like I will! 

Edited by ChocksAway

Sounds really good.  Thanks to all involved.  A few issues with the weapons don't worry me, given the infrequency with which they were carried. I think there will be several to do (at least 4 Sqn, and VAAC).  My one is en route, hopefully withough as many refuelli ng stops as the real thing needed.

Regards

Tim