Douglas A-4E Skyhawk, VA-195 Dambusters (1/48, Eduard)

Hello everyone,

while waiting for several aftermarket items during the Phantom project, I started to work on Vietnams Scooters limited edition from Eduard. I've decided for USN VA-195 marking option as seen during WestPac 1969 cruise aboard of USS Oriskany, which was the squadron's final voyage with Scooters. I wanted to depict the Iron Hand ordnance layout with AGM-45 Shrike missiles and Zuni rocket pods but I've learned that during that time there was an embargo on air raids against North Vietnam, therefore no missions were carried out into the SAM-rich enviroment. I'll stick with rather traditional ordnance as seen on the picture from the cruise book. Here are first pictures.

aWytUTQ.jpg

Sibling Scooter during the WestPac 1969 cruise.

WWbCTJt.jpg

PE works almost done.

ezkUxCB.jpg

I've decided to hand paint the cockpit instead of using Eduard Zoom PE parts.

1hhFynQ.jpg

Dry fitting of wing and the hump.

0ux1PEy.jpg

I've decided to correct one of the few kit's flaws - the step on the leading edge as there should be a smooth transition to the rest of the wing.

wH2y8p3.jpg

A hump dry fitting. A little bit more filling needed.

• Like 8

Very nice work David. When I started looking at the first pictures I was indeed thinking "I wonder if he's going to correct the step at the slats..."

And :boom: he did it!! With nice access panel work to boot.

Jeffrey

File that hump down and dry fit it the best you can...then use Mr. Surfacer, cleaned up with a Q-tip and some Mr. Thinner....will blend that hump in like a champ.

I just built the same kit in-flight over the last few months. An enjoyable build.

Cheers

Collin

Nice work so far, have to agree that the cockpit tub looks nice just painted, definetly one of the best "out of the box" tubs I've come across.

Rgds,

Eng

• 9 months later...

Thank you buddy :)

I am working both on the aircraft and on the detail parts at the same time, which slows down my pace a little bit, but the final assembly should be way quicker than usual. White paint was laid down on the bottom areas and where roundels and insignias will be painted later on. Quick pictures from the bench:

obxdoLp.jpg

gvC1xj6.jpg

quZtyiy.jpg

• Like 6

Nice work David, if it's not too late you can still go with the Iron Hand load, the pic here from the Oriskany 1969 Cruise book:

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv34-69/048.htm

shows Shrikes on a rack ready to be loaded, they wouldn't bring them up on deck if they weren't going to be loaded, most likely onto A-4s. Click on the previous page to see another pic of Shrikes ready to be brought top side. Even though there may have been a bombing halt they probably had a/c loaded for SAM suppression in case a radar came up to threaten a strike or recon flight.

Jari 

Edited by Finn

15 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Great job David. What masks are you using for the insignia?

Thank you my friend. I am using custom die-cut masks from my friend.

14 hours ago, Finn said:

Nice work David, if it's not too late you can still go with the Iron Hand load, the pic here from the Oriskany 1969 Cruise book:

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv34-69/048.htm

shows Shrikes on a rack ready to be loaded, they wouldn't bring them up on deck if they weren't going to be loaded, most likely onto A-4s. Click on the previous page to see another pic of Shrikes ready to be brought top side. Even though there may have been a bombing halt they probably had a/c loaded for SAM suppression in case a radar came up to threaten a strike or recon flight.

Jari 

Thanks Jari, that's a nice catch! I wish I could know earlier. At this stage I am way too far with the Mk. 82 bomb load, so I will stick to this layout.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, I just stripped down masks from the Scooter and got a heart stroke several times - when the paint went down with the mask. Fortunately it's repairable, so I will start right away. Just wanted to share a couple of pictures, because from now on is not just a grey piece of plastic.

ofL3BMg.jpg

MDQXSwY.jpg

xGHftpW.jpg

Dgg4Q7S.jpg

• Like 6

Wow David, I love it your build is looking fantastic. I've always liked Scooters and SLUFFS from this era and the fact that you are modelling her with the tow arm and access ladder is great.

Colin

On 2016-03-28 at 1:49 PM, Collin said:

File that hump down and dry fit it the best you can...then use Mr. Surfacer, cleaned up with a Q-tip and some Mr. Thinner....will blend that hump in like a champ.

I just built the same kit in-flight over the last few months. An enjoyable build.

Cheers

Collin

The way I add the hump is before I glue the fuselage together I glue the left hump to the left fuselage and I do the same for the right.

I use Tenex so it dries instantly and I get a good tight fit at the join on the fuselage.

I worry about the top seam once the halves are joined.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...