Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - black/white #2 - Airfix 1/72

Hi again everybody!

Here is my second black and white airplane – Hurricane Mk.I in the colours of 87th Squadron in the autumn of 1939 in France.

IMG_3606

On 10th November 1939 this particular machine (L1619, squadron code LK-P) was flown by Plt Off Horatio Dunn. He chased a Luftwaffe reconnaissance aircraft but went too far from the airbase and ran out of fuel. Dunn made an emergency landing near Aalbeke in Belgium. He was caught by the Belgian police and imprisoned but managed to escape from the Belgian prison on 27th November and returned to his base. The Hurricane was interned by the Belgians as well, however its fate is not known. The German aircraft that Dunn chased (Do-17P) incurred some damage and crash-landed near Stuttgart killing all crew.

The link to a photo of L1619 after landing in Belguim

Airfix kit is very well known and truly nice to build. The only substantial issue I had was with the wing. It seems that the upper and lower parts have different dihedral :shrug: The upper part is correct while the lower part has dihedral in excess. I cut joint tabs and pressed the two parts to match dihedral to the upper part. This resulted in a lower side being 1 mm longer than the upper one on both ends. I simply sanded excessive plastic. Also some surgery was needed to properly insert landing lights.

To make things prettier I used Eduard’s PE for the cockpit, resin wheels and exhausts. Paints are same as for my Defiant - Hobby Color for the camo and Vallejo for almost everything else. Decals are by Xtradecal + stencils by Aviaeology.

IMG_3516 IMG_3525 IMG_3532 IMG_3539 IMG_3547 IMG_3528 IMG_3584 Collage Hurricane

And here the two black-and-white RAF warriors together:

IMG_3591 Collage Duo

Thanks for looking! Hope you enjoy :thumbsup:

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
replaced photobucket with flickr photoes
  • Like 29

Nice work there Dennis , both lovely clean builds , :goodjob: I assume your next Black & White model will be a Spitfire ?

Hi Keith,

Not now. And I was thinking about moving forward into DG/DE/Sky period. So Spitfire and metal-wing Hurricane (or maybe something else) for BoB and a bit after. Need to wait for the ultimate kits of Mk.Ia and tin-wing Hurry now :) Come on Airfix!!!

Many thanks for nice comments, everyone!!!

Edited by Dennis_C