Airfix Hurricane in a Storm

Well, as it seems we are set for Storm Katie in the next day or so and everywhere is closed like the Sunday's of yore it is time to do a bit of guilt free modelling old school. Might even put on a black and white movie or two for the build.

After a half hours ferreting around my room I found this...

WP_20160327_09_11_45_Pro_zpsendgy3vh.jpg

My limited tool set is a small piece of wet 'n dry, 10A scalpel and one cocktail stick (don't really want to go overboard on this).

Markings on the back,

WP_20160327_09_12_02_Pro_zps8ctdkurg.jpg

Bits check

WP_20160327_09_15_43_Pro_zpsxhhf6pdj.jpg

Edited by Plastic Bonsai
  • Like 1

And moving swiftly on.

I gave the parts a quick wash and assembled the parts as you see here before painting.

WP_20160327_11_08_07_Pro__highres_zpsd1s

I'm a bit out of practice with tube cement as the first squeeze gobbed a blob onto the wing on the inside. The paint pots tend to pop and splatter as well.

I mixed a bit of sky with the dark green for the cockpit interior and it makes a better paint to cover and dries quicker. I dabbed around some watered down black to highlight things a little and painted some straps (sky and brown) on the seat.

I've mated the wing halves. They go together OK but the trailing edges are a bit of a disappointment; Airfix could have moulded the aileron and flaps as part of the upper surface and got a sharper trailing edges and easier to cut and pose the ailerons at least or even separate flaps. That being said these new kits are far superior to what the last Starter group had to contend with.

Anyway using an old trick I've added glue to the trailing edges to hopefully fuse the halves better and maybe I can sand to sharper edges when it dries.

WP_20160327_12_36_29_Pro_zpsvtejekyd.jpg

Edited by Plastic Bonsai
  • Like 1

When I made my Spit Mk.1 kit I found that the Sky had the best coverage of all the paints, Black included. As a result, I used it to neaten up the division between upper and lower colours, in complete contrast to what I've always been taught - dark over light is accepted practice, no?

Thanks guys.

A few days hiatus whilst work intervenes and now the final sprint.

WP_20160330_21_28_38_Pro__highres_zpsvyx

The green did not go on too well either. As Rob G said the Sky covered the best of all.

WP_20160330_21_29_23_Pro_zpshx6vwq7m.jpg

Applied the decals before adding the easeeknockeeoffee bits

WP_20160331_21_32_04_Pro_zpsxdylxsbc.jpg

and not too impressed with them. They usually go on much better and conform with little persuasion but maybe the extra layers of paint don't help. Is the grey for the codes too dark? Yes old school glue smear on the canopy. I've been getting away with PVA for decades.

WP_20160331_21_31_36_Pro__highres%20-%20

One of the gun port covering tapes is making it's getaway.

And its gone and never called me mother.Never to be seen again. I always have problems with these tape decals along leading edges.

WP_20160401_20_36_44_Pro%20-%20Copy_zpst

The underside is not too shabby. A very light wash of the black to accentuate the detail a little and over the raw plastic legs it looks a bit metallic.

WP_20160401_20_37_16_Pro_zpsgbhvpqba.jpg

These models are much more highly detailed that the fare we had at the last Starter GB though I think the paints were better and the decals as good.

It's odd though. There is something in the new models that slightly detracts for me but I'm not sure what it is. Are the parts too fine and delicate? Is there too much detail leaving little to the imagination?

When I get some decent light I'll try and do some better shots for the Gallery. The flash is far too cruel.

Edited by Plastic Bonsai
  • Like 3

Hi PB

that looks really smart :thumbsup2: and it looks like you did a better job of fitting the main U/C than I did on my ST build!

There's no consistency to these paints, some are ok, but most seem awful, Although its too late now, I've found that a complete base coat with the one that works gives the others something to 'grab onto'.

Craig

I've found that a complete base coat with the one that works gives the others something to 'grab onto'.

Now he tells me!

I'll have to try that on another.

Sorry - but I've only just stumbled across that trick myself, having finally found a paint that actually works!

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Hi PB - it looked great, even under flash photography, but don't forget to get some photos in the gallery before midnight tonight if you can!