Arado 95 on floats - Spanish Civil War, MPM 1/72

Hi,

Next "odd and old" German from current my production. After recent Dornier Wal I did next seaplane - Arado Ar 95 (on floats). It will be a small series - I started already work on next seaplanes: Ar 196, Do 22 and He 114 and one designed to be an aircraft carrier machine .- Fi 167... We will see how it will go. Frankly speaking I was not planning doing the German series now - I was planning do Douglas O38E (Haitanian from WWII) and O2D (Chinese), next Britts - Liberator GR Mk I and Sea Otter etc... - so they have to wait a while now. Perhaps I had to switch after making mostly Britts during last two years.

Going back to Arado Ar-95. I have found that 3 of them were for sure in Spain from early 1937 - two on floats and one on wheels. They served in Legion Condor and then were given to Spain, AFAIK. On the other hand one can found in Wiki, that actually it was 6 of them there, but I have no confirmed it in other sources. They served till second half of fourties or something like that - so they survived Civil War. They were use for patrols in Meditteranean coasts of Spain based I think in Mallorca area. They were having numbers 64-1, 64-2 (float version) and the wheel version 64-3. MPM provided in model either markings for float machine 64-2 (an a German one) or for wheeled 64-3 and Chilean one. So I decided to make the thirs one - 64-1... Just not to do OOB. There are photos of this machine available, so it was not a big problem. With published painting schemes is no problem also - however I am only surprised by the lack of white crosses on wings.

Arado 95 was produced in very limited numbers, but was used by Germany, Spain, Chile and Sweden (one escaped from Germany). Turkey as close to get some. In some sources it is said that even Poland in 1938 was interesting in buing the version on floats for sea-defense squadron based in Puck.

The model is basicly a short-run, from late production (with injected canopy), one PE part (camshaft in engine - I did not used it making sctarch from plastic wire), resin rest of engine and cowling. There is some more scratch work added - the strutures on sidewalks on lower wings, masses (balances) of floaps and aerelions on upper wing, steps on front floats struts and the set of bombs. I made propeller rotable (as always). One remark for those who wants to build this model from MPM kit. Be careful with the struts. Some of them are made too long and one have to trim them. For example four struts supporting floats are of the same lenght on frames, wheres the front pair has to be sloped forward whereas the rear pair is perpendicular to float. So it will produce negative slope of whole machine. The same with pair of struts suporting the centre of upper wing. Fortunatelly drawing and photos are available in Net in reasonable amounts - you can easliy notice that bombs under wings have the Spanish machines but not the one which wscaped to Sweden etc...

Sorry for this perhaps too long description - here she is:

ar95 DSC00863ar95 DSC00857ar95 DSC00861ar95 DSC00862ar95 DSC00860ar95 DSC00859ar95 DSC00858

RLM-02 by Humbrol (No 240 - brush), riging by EZ, Vallejo matt coat

Comments welcome

Best regards and I wish especially Happy Easters to all BM members and spectators

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 17

Excellent job as usual, J-W! That's one I have in my stash to do as a SCW example. I'll probably buy another one to do as an Eastern Front (Baltic Sea) version.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Thanks Gents for nice comments :) !

Jason - I bought the kit about 10 years ago so since it is a short run I thought that it is not available now. But it is still available! Perhaps MPM made new run. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MPM72082. So no problem with buying another one...However - I will rather not do next one soon :)

• Like 1

Many thanks - I appreciate you like it.

Was the 196 ever used in the SWC?

John, as far as I know Ar-196 was not used in Spain, not only in SCW bot also after it, in years of WWII.

The production started in October 1938, but there were 4 prototypes from 1937. Why they were not sent to Spain for tests, like some other German prototypes? - I do not know. Perhaps they have flaws, which were too obvious and sending was considered prematural? BTW - here is very good page about types used in SCW: http://bioold.science.ku.dk/drnash/model/spain/did.html

Ar-196 was not sent to Spain, however his predcessor, He-114 was used there but after end of the SCW.

http://bioold.science.ku.dk/drnash/model/spain/didnt.html

Duncan, I am very glad to inspire. Hope to see yours Arado soon on RFI :)

Edited by JWM
  • Like 4

Hi Jerzy!!!!

You were disspeared from here since a long time but anyway, when you appear always have a nice build to share!!!

I have been watching this nice kit and have enjoyed the explanation and also the build you have done, I iked a lot the soft weathering and lovely finish you have achieved here, and also the nice intrincate rigging you have done, a real and true materpiece.

Thank you very much for sharing and illustrtingus with those nice forewords you also include in your builds and nice to have the chance to admire another masterpiece from your nice building bench.

Happy Easter for everyone and also for all your family too.

Cheers from Guatemala,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 3

Many thanks Gents for comments.

You were disspeared from here since a long time

Luis Alfonso, indeed - I have a pause in presenting my old models, but not much of them left unpresented... OK- some 50 still wait for some refreshing before posting them. So results of current production is what I present now, but I am not sure if you've seen all of them :)

Cheers and greetings from Krakow

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 2

Hi Jerzy-Wojtek, another great SCW build!

I have this in the stash. It looked difficult; you have done a superb job. :)

Thank you for tips about the struts.

I like the look of the Humbrol RLM02

All best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Tony - many thanks. Indeed - the build was not very obvious. Especially the struts. The floats I was glueing three times and two time cut them out. As always, but obligatory in case of a short-run kit - one have to study also photos and drawings to find out the right angeles, proportions, lengths and shapes...And always someting is to correct :)

Good luck with your Arado!

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 2

Many thanks Gents for comments.

Luis Alfonso, indeed - I have a pause in presenting my old models, but not much of them left unpresented... OK- some 50 still wait for some refreshing before posting them. So results of current production is what I present now, but I am not sure if you've seen all of them :)

Cheers and greetings from Krakow

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hi Jerzy!!!

You have reason, so I will sail here to look for other ones that have evaded my attention ;) so stay tuned My Friend!!

Cheers

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1