good Photo Album recommendation?

bootneck

My collection of ship photo's and images is getting a little out of hand at the moment; I have hundreds, probably thousands, of photo's spread across different hard-disks and folders, plus I suspect I have duplicated them more than once!

I tried a photo album programme once but it searched the whole system and sucked in virtually every .jpeg and dumped them into one big album - this is what I do not want. Can anyone recommend any digital photo albums available that would allow me to:

• save my images to a specified repository
  • have the facility to record the name, date, subject etc.
  • let me allocate a reference/index number
  • have the facility to cross-link details to a database for reference

cheers

Mike

• 2 months later...

This one has people stumped as it has been here a few months. :)

I'm not sure I can help you do exactly what you want to do the way you want to do it.

There are a number of programs out there that you can try for a limited period or are free.

Picajet for instance has both here .

There are others but I think you need to try some more that are out there to see if anything comes close.

I use Lightroom to do basic photo manipulation and management. I can import where I want, and yes, it dumps all the image info and catalog into one big database that isn't an album, but I can keyword all my images and create collections that are accessible from the navigator. I can also assign an image to multiple collections as well so they don't have to 'live' in one place.

Again, I'm not sure there is something that will do what you want the way you want it, but organising photos is something I have to do just to keep track of all the photo-shoots, artists and models. :)

Mike,

A little late responding to this but I'd second irritablerabbit's recommendation on Lightroom. I use it all the time for organising complex media projects.

As regards your database needs, you should be able to interact Lightroom with Excel (or the free OpenOffice equivalent) using a solution like this:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1111195

HTH,

Tony

Thanks Tony and Jonathan, I'll have a look at those applications/techniques.

The database I have is based on MS Access and I would like to have the ability to show, or call in from a button action, a photo of a ship named in a record within that database. At the moment, my database only shows the textual details: name, year, length, history etc., etc. and it would be nice to be able to click on the name which then opens up a view of the photo. This is the reason I am trying to put everything (shipping) into a single album, so that the database can be linked to the relevant image and call it in.

Thanks again

Mike

the non-photo-imaging expert

• Like 1