UK requests P-8A's

Slater

I expect so, all P-8s so far have been brought into service with the USN and Indians in the Boeing grey with hi vis markings. Changing paint colours adds to the final cost.

But the P-8 looks rather boring - a color scheme in Hemp or EDSG over Sky would make up for their 'airliner look'

• Like 1

Surely the reason was that in a two engine MPA if you lose one engine you have to head for home whereas in a 4 engine MPA you can remain on station?

Which made a lot of sense when engines were a lot less reliable than they are today.

There is that , hopefully minor and rarely relevant, benefit to four engines.

I'd be more concerned about airframe fatigue, long term. Operating at low level, as the RAF fleet did, will be a very different flying environment to that originally designed for - I wonder how much modification has been done to the structure to allow for the much more vigorous manoeuvring and turbulence conditions within which low level P-8s will operate. Could that restrict & influence tactics, force more medium level operation?

How much modification was done to the structures of earlier generation airliner conversions?

John B

As far as range goes, The RAF is looking at adding refuelling booms to their Voyager fleet. http://www.janes.com/article/59242/uk-raf-shows-interest-in-voyager-boom

Could be handy for the C-17's, RC-135's, P-8's and Sentries, not to mention the other NATO assets that use this method.

Could be handy for the C-17's, RC-135's, P-8's and Sentries, not to mention the other NATO assets that use this method.

The RAF's E-3D Sentry is unique in that it has both a refueling probe AND a boom receptacle.

I'm not sure if the crews have currency on both systems though........

Ken

The RAF's E-3D Sentry is unique in that it has both a refueling probe AND a boom receptacle.

I'm not sure if the crews have currency on both systems though........

Ken

French E-3F's can also be dual equipped but a quick Googling shows that they are not always fitted with the probe.

Trevor

• Like 1

Hmm, which everybody was advising the MoD to write into the original spec in the first place. Allow me to wait for this horse to bolt before I close the stable door.

It was in the early Spec for MRTT but dropped as a cost saving, not least because at the time the only types the RAF operated which were boom capable were the E3 (which also had a probe) and the C17, which wasn't seen to need an IFR capability as it had range for most anticipated flights.

Since then, we of course have RC135 and P8 coming along

• Like 2

Hindsight is 20-20 vision, admittedly, but many were the voices calling out for it, stressing the need for interoperability and 'futureproofing'. Of course, to now retrofit a boom even to the two point tankers will undoubtedly cost rather more than if it had been included from the start.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like they should have paid extra ...... and got the folding-fin version.

Ken

PS - I'm surprised that ours aren't being sponsored by EasyJet - with some sort of leasing arrangement where they operate them as passenger jets and only let the RAF fly them off-peak.

• Like 3

Hindsight is 20-20 vision, admittedly, but many were the voices calling out for it, stressing the need for interoperability and 'futureproofing'. Of course, to now retrofit a boom even to the two point tankers will undoubtedly cost rather more than if it had been included from the start.

Probably cheaper to return a few aircraft to Airbus and buy Aussie spec

Probably cheaper to return a few aircraft to Airbus and buy Aussie spec

This is a PFI contract. Unless the MoD legal eagles were on the ball any deviation from the deal will incur heavy penalties based no doubt on eroding their profit calculations.

Trevor

This is a PFI contract. Unless the MoD legal eagles were on the ball any deviation from the deal will incur heavy penalties based no doubt on eroding their profit calculations.

Trevor

Given that the tanker PFI was pretty much rammed through by the Treasury against the wishes of MOD I wouldn't bet on it. Anything outside what the MOD needed at the time in question would have been deemed an extravagance, and back then we didn't need a boom.

• 2 months later...

Politician logic? Retire the Nimrod, its expensive. Ah, lost capability. Spend £3bn on P-8's.

The Nimrod programme was a joke, and treated like a cash cow by BAe. Perhaps if BAe hadnt allowed the programme to over-run by 9 years and £789M then we would have had Nimrods currently flying.

Politician logic? Retire the Nimrod, its expensive. Ah, lost capability. Spend £3bn on P-8's.

At least the P-8s will get their airworthiness certificates. More than the Nimrod was going to do....

At least the P-8s will get their airworthiness certificates. More than the Nimrod was going to do....

So long as we just accept the US certification. Don't let the MOD or RAF senior crew near that - they are why Nimrod, and others, went bad. Near total loss of the capability to assure continuing airworthiness of anything from gliders on up !

It is noticeable how America talks about keeping an aircraft the size of the B52 going for 100 years, while Britain cant keep a Nimrod or v-bomber going. I'm aware that beyond WW2 my knowledge turns fuzzy so theres gonna be things im missing but still...

So long as we just accept the US certification. Don't let the MOD or RAF senior crew near that - they are why Nimrod, and others, went bad. Near total loss of the capability to assure continuing airworthiness of anything from gliders on up !

I don't think that it's the UK personal, but the EASA crap. I don't know about the US equipment, but over here everything has to be done in accordance with the EASA regulations. Even the military equipment