What to do with a Whitley?

Admiral Puff

The arrival of the new Airfix Whitley has rendered my Frog kit redundant. Scratching around on the interweb for something to do with it, as one does, unearthed some pictures of its predecessor, the AW.23. I also found a rather dodgy-looking set of GA drawings. I'm reluctant to put too much trust in it, given that it looks like a thumbnail from something like an Observer's Book of Aircraft that has been blown up. Can anyone point me to another, more reliable, set please?

As an alternative I guess you could get hold of the Flightpath conversion set and backdate it to a radial Whitley?

Just a thought as I have a couple of the old beasts in my stash and was thinking down those lines.

Regards

JIm

You have two Whitleys? One Bomber black and one Coastal white. Simples. Or one BOAC transport?

If you are determinedly masochistic, look in Putnam's Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft for a drawing of the AW23, but it'll only be small scale. I doubt if there's anything better in published sources, but there's a lot of Armstrong Whitworth stuff in the museum at Coventry airport, so it should be worth asking them. The wing span is 4ft shorter than the Whitley, so there probably are other subtle changes going on. You'd still benefit from the Tiger engines and nacelles from the conversion bits.

Mines going to get done as one from my favourite Biggles book, "Biggles Sweeps the Desert" which featured a Whitley transport, unless of course I get a better idea between now & then. :)

Steve.

Don't you need a kit of the very rare Armstrong Whitworth Straw Broom for that? :coat:

• Like 3

Thanks all. I've got the Flightpath set, which is partly what prompted me to look down the AW.23 road. I may have to get another to use with an Airfix kit ...

Graham, I suspect the three-view I have originated with the Putnam book - it has that Putnam feel about it. I may well have to make do with that, but I'll reserve judgement until I see how it looks blown up to 1:72. I suspect the variation in span came about when the wing was modified to give the extra dihedral outboard, and I'll make the adjustment when I flatten out the kit wing.

Mines going to get done as one from my favourite Biggles book, "Biggles Sweeps the Desert" which featured a Whitley transport, unless of course I get a better idea between now & then. :)

Steve.

Snap! 'As slowly as to be almost imperceptible, the stars began to fade.' The only beginning to a novel I remember other than those of Ulysses and Finnegans Wake!

• Like 1

Well,....you could build it. That is what I am doing with my Frog kit. Have the new Airfix but promised myself not to touch it until the Frog is done.

Build it quick, build it simple but build it. It is that poor Frog kit's last chance for modeling happiness.

Greg in OK

• Like 1

Build it quick, build it simple but build it. It is that poor Frog kit's last chance for modeling happiness.

Greg in OK

Pretty much why I have promised myself my "Biggles" build, something I don't have to agonise over the detail overly much, I think its a fitting thing to do with such as a Frog/spawn Whitely.

Steve.

Ah, but if I "just build it" it will be just another Whitley model - at least an AW.23 will be something a bit different. I've not been able to find any more information, so the Putnamesque drawings have been blown up to 1:72 (they look good enough for the job) and I've dragged out the kit. Now, big deep breath and start to destroy plastic ... will post in WIP once there's something to show.

• Like 3

I do not know if I did something wrong but every time I tried enlarging a 3 view to 1/72 scale from a Putnams book I ended up with something which was distorted , it was similar but definitely not correct .

I had mine done professionally by a print shop in town - I can't do A3 on my printer at the moment. It only cost $1. There's probably distortion in it - I don't know how accurate the drawing I was using may have been, and any process like this has the possibility of introducing its own glitches - but it measures up OK according to the numbers I have.

I do not know if I did something wrong but every time I tried enlarging a 3 view to 1/72 scale from a Putnams book I ended up with something which was distorted , it was similar but definitely not correct .

The three view drawings in the Putnam series (of which I have a great many) were always a bit of a mixed bag. Plus I don't think that they were ever really designed to be enlarged at all. Many date back to the 1950s when our access to things like photo copiers, scanners, etc. was not even dreamt of. They were really only intended as a guide to what an aircraft looked like - a bit like the Punnett drawings in the old observers books. Which themselves were a descendant of the wartime identification silhouette drawings.

A real shocker is the 3 view of the BP Defiant in the Aircraft of the RAF which I reckon was enlarged by Airfix to create their original model of that aircraft - all that kit's errors match the errors on the drawing. The Putnam drawings are useful but I wouldn't use them as accurate scaled drawings.

Plus there are always distortions caused by paper stretching etc. when using photo copiers or printers. There are a number of threads on the WW2 section discussing the problems in reproducing scale drawings that accurately reflect the real aircraft's dimensions.

Edited by MilneBay

• 3 weeks later...

1. Build model

2. Buy a spray can of gray primer, from that famous British brand of paints

3. Paint built model in primer overall

4. Stick on roundels

5. Put on the Bomber Command SIG table at Telford labeled as a "Handley-Page Halford".

6. ??

7. Profit

hi

I was at toulouse airport many years ago and saw a model kit lysander sprayed silver but with a clock in the fuselage,

It looked real good, one day i will do a model with a clock in it or an electronic temperature display in it :)

Cheers

Jerry

• Like 1

Thanks for that.

I sat down yesterday to see what's actually involved. This is going to be a much bigger job than I had thought! Modifying the wings and tail will be straightforward, but the fuselage looks like it will involve a complete scratch build. Watch this space ...

You could modify the kit to represent one of the aircraft used for training paratroops.

Martin