Avia S-199 (IDF) questions

ReccePhreak

I recently got the old Hobbycraft 1/48 S-199 kit (Yes, I know it is NOT accurate), and I want to build it as aircraft number D-119. This was reportedly the sole photo-recce version.

My first question is this: Does anybody have any information on where the camera window was located and what its size & shape was? Was it the same as the Luftwaffe's Bf109 bulged camera bay, or just a single window under the fuselage?

Second question: Does anybody know what the color scheme was? All the online profiles (For ALL the S-199s) differ in the colors used. They vary from different shades of green, brown, tan or gray.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

Larry Engesath

Regarding the colour, the Avias were painted RLM68, though some sources suggest RLM02. The whole aircraft was painted with the one colour, not as some sources say with pale blue undersides. The aircraft currently on display at Hatzerim was for many years painted in blue/tan camouflage though it never flew with that scheme.

As for the camera installation, unfortunately I can't help there.

Yeov Efrati researched the colours of the Avia and his conclusion was that RAL 6013 was the colour used. The museum aircraft mentioned by T7models has been repainted a few years ago using this colour.

Regarding the profiles, I'm not surprised if grey, brown, green and tan are all used: RAL 6013, RLM 68 and RLM 02 are all colours that fall in the "green-brown-grey" range. A good thing of RAL 6013 is that Revell has this colour in their range

Yeov Efrati researched the colours of the Avia and his conclusion was that RAL 6013 was the colour used. The museum aircraft mentioned by T7models has been repainted a few years ago using this colour.

Regarding the profiles, I'm not surprised if grey, brown, green and tan are all used: RAL 6013, RLM 68 and RLM 02 are all colours that fall in the "green-brown-grey" range. A good thing of RAL 6013 is that Revell has this colour in their range

The bad thing for American modellers like me, is that Revell paints are not available over here. :banghead:

Larry

• Like 1

The other good news is that Testors include RAL 6013 in their range as acrylic no.4770 and enamel no.2071.

I thought that was RLM02, or are they the same colour?

• Like 1