Ferrari 250 GTO 1/8 scratch build

Roy, what's your technique for beautiful separation of panels like that hood? Resin is harder than styrene. Do you use the old 'scoring' method of #11 blade a thousand times??

Well...

All you guys, I'm genuinely pleased with the input.

OK - the doors are now a 'maybe'.

I have to be totally honest. Opening the doors has nothing whatsoever with the complexity.

It's my more to do with my own lazyness.

Right - doors it will 'probably' be.

Mr. C.

Cutting the panels out is a mixture of razor saw, dental scriber and knife blade.

Even though the resin shell is about 3mm thick, it isn't a major hassle to cut out the panels.

As with the Aston DBR1 I build, I might add a stand alone engine with this one even though It's primarily for me.

It's all good fun and stangely enough, I feel 'enthused' about this one, where the Caterham 7 was just 'a kit'.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Roy, did I get it right that you stated that your skills with big stuff are NOT that great.

Come on... you cannot kid us.

Will be following this one closely. Will be a feast, I'm sure.

Roy, for what it is worth..... open the doors. This is the 250 GTO we are talking about.... the most expensive car in the world for a reason.

Many reasons why if in your place, i would open the doors,

one is definitely the personal challenge as Larchiefeng says,

then, although the interior of this car is very simple, and with slight differences in every model, the few technical objects inside are absolutely worth the trouble : part of the gear box, gear lever, the extinguisher, the different metals, the old dials, etc.. even the the cables in the doors ... if you open the door, you can see how low the seats are.

so Roy, absolutely in favor.

Righty-ho.

After hours of finger-numbing scraping, scribing and cutting, the panels are all out.

Lots of cleaning up on the shell to do, as well as thinning down the edges around the panel openings and arches.

On we go...

Roy.

P1011937_zpslncyby4t.jpg

• Like 2

Man that's some fragile edges where the windshield posts meet body and roof; great care needed throughout the build! :hanging:

I'd try a .040 styrene 'windshield' (bent to the curve and shape) and CA'd with a few small drops. When ready for final assembly, debonder would set it free... :banghead:

Good Afternoon Roy :bye:

Yet again I'm gobsmacked...

What a fantastic project in a real mans scale :thumbsup: ... (or maybe is it :mental: ) hehe

There aren't many people in the modelling world that really inspire me Roy, but you are one of them.

Will definately be following this one with great interest, and i dont even like Ferrari's :analintruder:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:ninja: Mad Steve :ninja:

I may be wrong but didn't the door have a full metal frame around the windows also that was chrome colour?

Like I say I may be wrong so dismiss it if I am

Shaun

Edited by shood23

You are correct.

Yes, there is a frame round the windows, and it's a chrome one - quite thin.

I'll be adding the frames near the end of the build.

Good idea about a temporary screen Mr C...

I'll give that some thought.

Many thanks Steve for your kind words.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Now this is going to be good! I believe now that, all the panels are opened up, you will be more at home being able to add all the details that are the hallmark of your scratch builds. Moving ahead some, I'm very curious to see how you build your wire wheels. It will be interesting to see if you go with the lacing method seen on other threads or if you take the MFH approach and use turned aluminum outer wheels with stainless steel wire to the center hub. I'm sure that this is something that you've already given much thought to, given the Borrani wheels on the 250's are a fairly major focal point. I can imagine that you have already spent a good many hours thinking about this build. Whatever the case may be, it will be enjoyable watching how you approach the building process and the thought behind it.

Roy - There was a big feature on Nick's car a few years ago in octane. I think they had archive pictures of the cars being built and I seem to remember a company producing sculptures of the chassis and body in the magazine too.

If all else fails you could try the ferrari museum at Maranello - they can be quite helpful sometimes, else try Nick Mason - he too can be extremely helpful

Thanks you guys.

Mr L - yes, I've been planning this thing for quite some time - even before the Lister which is slowly moving forward.

I'll be getting around to the wire wheels in due course which is still a ways off.

I'm contemplating several approaches but I'll make it more clear nearer the time.

This is the first 'closed' car I've scratched and as yet I still haven't quite figured out how to build up the interior, out of the car.

I'm sort of thinking the doors will need fitting on hinges early on, that I can take apart easily umpteen times, without losing the tightness of fit.

Some kind of removable floor to build up big parts of the interior, tunnel and seats and then fix it in.

Then there's the front framework for the engine - and the boot interior - not to mention the engine itself, suspension, uprights, steering gear, rear diff and axles....

Aaaarrrggghhhh...... I think I'll give up now!!!!

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

A slow start here as I've got a lot on the go at the minute.

The front vents now have the added flaps, the body has been 'thinned' in al the right places and the floor support strips have been fixed in place.

I'll screw a 4mm ply floor in next and start getting some bulkheads and frames sorted.

The body also needs painting soon. I'll get the correct 'Rosso Cina' colour mixed. These cars weren't Rosso Corsa as many think.

Roy.

P1011940_zps0zzljhxz.jpg

P1011947_zpsm8tybnti.jpg

• Like 1

Your omologato getting into rythm, thats great work.

With your quality of work, I'll bet your frames and chrome will fit better than any of the GTO's who notoriously used to leak when it rained...

Thanks you guys. Getting up steam now...

I've made a fairly substantial ply and 60 thou plastic inner bulkhead which will eventually support all kinds of bits, particularly the front chassis/engine frame.

Once finished it won't be seen.

It took an age of template making and fettling to get a nice tight fit. It's fixed in place with steel rods in four 'corners', cyano and epoxy. It ain't goin' nowhere...

Sorted now.

Roy

P1011948_zpsh2oypkpg.jpg

P1011949_zpslut6gted.jpg

P1011950_zpslmjjwghl.jpg

Thanks Mr C.

The angle material is 80 thou plastic strip, scored down the middle and folded.

The resulting groove on the outside of the fold was filled with epoxy and left to dry.

The strips were then epoxied to the body sills and clamped.

The ply floor is srewed in place so I can remove it for proper shaping and interior work later on.

It's all quite rough at this stage.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Simple and smart. Very nicely done. My truss rods served a similar function as your 'firewall' for maintaining the body dimensions but were temporary. Once everything pasted back together they were removed and holes filled. This is excellent as a permanent strengthening structure for body alignment and what is to come.

Rock on my friend with another lesson on how things should be correctly done.

Well... not sure about that Mr C...

With me it's more a case of jump in and hope.

Seemingly little progress here but there has been hours of wet sanding the shell before finally getting a mist coat of grey primer in place.

This will be sanded to highlight areas needing attention and even at this point, the grey has shown up several bits needing work.

Roy.

P1011954_zps7wqxyiy4.jpg

P1011955_zpssdptryiv.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1