Ferrari 250 GTO 1/8 scratch build

This one's for me...

Mind you, I've already had an offer to buy it and it's barely started!

I've actually been beavering away on this for quite a while but didn't want to jump in here with it until it looked promising.

I'm hoping to get a first rough shell within the next week or so.

Fingers crossed. (And the Lister is moving forwards slowly)

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Okey dokey...

A bit of back story.

I've been on this one for a VERY long time although I only mentioned it recently, but haven't gotten very far as I couldn't get a decent shell cast.

My skills with big stuff aren't that great - hence I now make shells by vac-form.

I've actually got most of the engine parts ready for casting.

This one is resin - my only one - not to be repeated.

It's far from perfect, but a bit of tweaking, and hopefully it will be ok.

Just a few 'tease' shots until I get it right...

Roy.

P1011920_zpsus3alpzf.jpg

P1011922_zpsaqfuhewn.jpg

P1011921_zpsyly8qmdy.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

I made the basic master and a friend who was a very good pattern maker did the detail stuff.

It was about 18 months ago and he's no longer in pattern making, modelling or anything.

A real pain as he used to help me with all kinds of bits - but TBH, this large resin stuff is a right pain.

Anything in the future - the Lister for example - will be vac formed from a 3D printed master. That one is also currently 'in the works'.

The 3D masters are expensive, but far, far less hassle and if I make a blunder I can get another vac form in a few days.

I bet the 1/5 ones were epic!

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Yes - car 22. The 250 GTO debut.

Roy.

Roy, all i can say is 'Niahahaha !'

If you need pics the Bernard Cahier archives have tons. The son took over the father's archives.

http://www.f1-photo.com/F1-Archives

O. Gendebien was like a father to me. ( hence my yellow ferrari avatar)

ps i am not sure but i think the car no. was 24 ?

Edited by sharknose156

OK...

After the break with the 'simple' 1/12 Tamiya Caterham 7, I'm back where I feel more 'at home'.

The Tamiya kit was fun, but somehow disappointing.

I'm not sure why - the build was enjoyable, and the end result is lovely but I feel a bit deflated with it. Almost as if I didn't really get much from it on a personal level.

Who knows... Maybe I'll never really make something that makes me happy.

On to the GTO - BIG TIME now.

I've started to cut out the various panels now.

Bonnet, boot next.

Doors? - undecided. Do opening doors really show anything you can't see through the windows?

How many people even bother to open model car doors?

We'll see.

Engine castings underway as I'm working.

I'm still searching for chassis/frame plans so I can get on with the fun - the brass-work.

Roy.

P1011934_zpsex8dynvw.jpg

OK...

How many people even bother to open model car doors?

Roy.

P1011934_zpsex8dynvw.jpg

Answering that as if it were really more than purely rhetorical: I haven't now for decades. Never cut open a door and in fact many times I have even glued operable doors closed. Same with canopies on airplane models, always closed.

Alf in Iowa

For me on the doors It's a really big question as most kit makers now have them open and even the 1/24 kit of this car has fully functional doors, boot and bonnet. But on the other side if you to mess it up (not saying you will given how well your last builds have gone and knowing how good your are with these things) then a) how easy would they be to remake is B) it worth the hassle like you say given how much is already visible through the windows. Also as you have found it hard to find pictures of the chassis, would it be just as hard to get hold of picture of the real car you are trying to replicates interior.

But given all the outcomes I think on a car this size and how the tamiya car flattened you I think you need the challenge again of doing something that most wouldn't even dream of trying then you should at least give it very serious consideration. Plus beings it is this size it would be rude not to lol

Shaun

Not sure why there is an imoji in there but it's not ment to be there and it won't delete for some reason

Edited by shood23

Didn't you just answer your own question earlier about the simplicity of the 7? If this is going to be a one off would you not want to elevate it to your increasingly high standards? I think the adding of the door jamb and door pull and latch mechanism alone would add a level of detail. You don't need to open both doors, just one would suffice for the option of changing the display now and then. Whatever you decide it will certainly be an epic one off build!