New Sea Fury Modellers' Guide

Paul Bradley

Given the Sea Fury is my favourite of all piston-engined aircraft this title is certainly interesting. That measure of favouritism has, however, resulted in me having several titles on the subject on my book shelves already so I'll wait until getting a chance to flick through a copy to see if it offers anything new before purchasing or not.

Last time they released one of this series, there was a 'flick through' at the website. If that is the case this time around, I'll add a link so you can have a look, Col. :)

The colour profiles are all new and produced by the incomparable Srečko Bradić from photos. There will be some photos from private collections that you will not have seen before, and there are three new model builds. Text will cover development and description, FAA service, export and combat service, while all-new walkarounds of two machines will be included along with stacks of diagrams from the tech manuals. To round it out, there is a list of FAA units, a bibliography and 'kits and bits' section. All-in-all, I think we pack a lot into a package at under ten quid.

• Like 3

Certainly sounds good Paul, thanks for the description, for less than a tenner it'd be an easy addition to the reference stash.

• Like 1

Giorgio, here's link to a video of the Firefly book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl3_4aKWBQM

Like many of these type of books, I try to pull together a concise, but interesting text of the types' development and service histories; for the historical section, I don't re-use old magazine articles. I always try to source some photos from private sources that haven't been seen before, though I do have to rely on government sources as well of course, and the full-colour profiles are always done especially for the books and are based on photos, not recycled from years ago or based on other, older profiles. Model builds are generally done specifically for the books, as are the walkarounds.

I had a query about the unusual colour scheme on the featured profile - it is based on a photo and that photo is in the book. It really caught my eye when I first acquired the photo, as it is very different from your run-of-the-mill Korean War Sea Fury! I must build it in 1/32 one day!

Thanks Paul

hadn't realised you're the author.. actually I had not realised that this book is part of the SAM's datafiles series. This a series on which I have mixed feelings, some titles are utterly brilliant, others less so. The Firefly book really looks great though, assuming the Sea Fury book is the same quality (and I have no doubt about this), it's a must purchase in the near future. To be honest, the Firefly book is also something I now have to buy, it's not a type on which there's much around.

• Like 1

Looking forward to getting one of these. I shall, of course, expect it to be even better that the Firefly book and have oodles of never before seen pictures; on pressure or anything Paul!

Martin of the unreasonable demand

Dear Sir Martin of The Unreasonable Demand,

It is with modest, yet fervent hope that your insignificant scribe has created a manuscript worthy of your delectation, with much to stimulate your most upstanding attention.

I am unworthy of your consideration, but remain your humble servant,

etc, etc.

• Like 2