Meteors! First one now finished, TWO more on the go!

When I get mine I'll have to do 868's landing light as it is now.

Had power on and the light decided to extend by itself, it got stuck halfway

and now denies all attempts to get the flipping thing back in!

Posted this elswhere on this site but then came across this thread.

Would you care to comment on that angled "fairing" (maybe not best description) around the fuselage at the wing trailing edge. It seems to be visible in some walkarounds but not in others and not as marked as on the kit? It looks more like an overlapping panel on the real aircraft? Similarly the missmatch on the access panels just behind the cockpit and the fact they dont seem to have a panel line seperating them? Just want to know if I should alter them or not?

And agree with your assessment of undercarriage bays, you just have to be careful and line everything up.

Thanks,

Andy

Whoopeee! A Meteor arrived today! Six days from the UK to Denver, Colorado - that's really good. And best of all, the U.S. Postal Service managed to avoid crushing it.

@Soverignhobbies - maybe they read your post; mine came in a more appropriately sized box.

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Halicat98/media/Airfix%20Meteor_zpsv3udzel5.jpg.html

Airfix%20Meteor_zpsv3udzel5.jpg[/url]

• Like 1

Posted this elswhere on this site but then came across this thread.

Would you care to comment on that angled "fairing" (maybe not best description) around the fuselage at the wing trailing edge. It seems to be visible in some walkarounds but not in others and not as marked as on the kit? It looks more like an overlapping panel on the real aircraft? Similarly the missmatch on the access panels just behind the cockpit and the fact they dont seem to have a panel line seperating them? Just want to know if I should alter them or not?

And agree with your assessment of undercarriage bays, you just have to be careful and line everything up.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy - just been looking at photos too - and I'd agree with you - the "flange" around the fuselage at the trailing edge looks very much like an overlapped panel line - and I think if you look at the kit parts, this is what Airfix have tried to capture - it's just a little pronounced. Perhaps a light sand will be enough to just tone it down a tad?

Im looking at the kit parts trying to find the "missmatch on the access panels just behind the cockpit " though- with no luck?

cheers

Jonners

Hmmm, went, had a look, ordered...

That's the problem with the Internet, it's too easy to add to the stash :lol:

isn't that the good thing?

you even add more to the stash by ordering multiple/more kits than originally planned in order to save on shipping costs (per kit that is ;) )

that is how I did it... suddenly needed a Gnat and a Hurricane as well....... well, Airfix probably needs it anyway!

:banghead:

by the way, thanks Jonners for the first informative in progress build!

watching closely!

I'm weak willed and as a result bought the first one I saw. (Thanks T7)

Has anyone got the same problem as mine has? Both fuselage halves exhibit warpage with the nose parts being a good 20mm apart when the rear is held together. Its not unbuildable, but it will need thought and some level of clamping during assembly.

Has anyone got the same problem as mine has? Both fuselage halves exhibit warpage with the nose parts being a good 20mm apart when the rear is held together. Its not unbuildable, but it will need thought and some level of clamping during assembly.

Any time. :cheers:

The fuselage halves are like that on mine. As you say, not insurmountable, but it will take a little care when the time comes. In the meantime, I am enjoying working on mine, and cannot remember being so enthused by a new kit for a long time.

There is a bit of warpage on mine too - but as said its not a huge issue. I actually felt is wasn't even worth mentioning - but It's good to point these things out.

My only area of concern at present is the fit of the nose cone - but that's just based on dry fits - so don't get worried yet!! LOL

Jonners

• Like 1

Hi Andy - just been looking at photos too - and I'd agree with you - the "flange" around the fuselage at the trailing edge looks very much like an overlapped panel line - and I think if you look at the kit parts, this is what Airfix have tried to capture - it's just a little pronounced. Perhaps a light sand will be enough to just tone it down a tad?

Im looking at the kit parts trying to find the "missmatch on the access panels just behind the cockpit " though- with no luck?

cheers

Jonners

Hi Jonners,

Perhaps another bad description from me. What i mean is that my kit shows a distinct step and no recessed panel line in this area:

Panel_zps1vnfdzu6.jpg

Hope that makles more sense.

Regards,

Andy

Just caught up with this! How was the braai?

I digress, I'll be keeping a close eye on progress here and as soon as I find a local stockist I'll be getting a couple.

• Like 2

Well, my three Meteor's have arrived. Mind you, the group shot was photo bombed by an F.1...

d49b95d.jpg

Ooooo! F1.

Cockpit plane photo, pleaaaaase!

Edited by Dock_Ru

The area in question at the trailing edge of the wing is the aft fuselage break point so there is a definite line there.

_5178418_zpshqzlcs2p.jpg

2_zps43a4bf87.jpg

_9147837_zpsquzuddyw.jpg

The dismantling diagram from t book show the break point and also the missing fuel panel access panel that Andy points out.

MF3_zps9ace535d.jpg

Caution- idiot playing hanger pilot!

P6010175_zps17d3c588.jpg

• Like 9

P6010175_zps17d3c588.jpg

note how there is no metal frame on the front edge of the sliding canopy portion, just a squared off section, something I noticed on the Hendon F.8 at the open cockpit evening.

Same on the Vampire F.3 BTW

EDIT some pics I took at the open cockpit evening

DSCF0651_zpshxp9agtr.jpg

4d74433d-8a17-4592-b509-ca5c04e400fa_zps

DSCF0649_zpsugwgfubx.jpg

DSCF0648_zpsacwwtvuu.jpg

DSCF0647_zpsx5nmykmi.jpg

DSCF0646_zpswvxeazur.jpg

• Like 5

Last night I re-scribed the panel line on the fuselage and toned down the raised strip to almost negligible - and it looks a lot better. I was looking at the top fuel access panel" lines" on the model and they look more like very low-relief "lapped" panels ( like an F6F Hellcat fuselage) on the model.

I also discovered that Tamiya's new masking tape for curves is perfect for using as a scribing guide to re-do the panel line around the rear nacelle: I applied a triple-thickness thin strip round following the panel line where it wasn't sanded out, and then lightly scored in the missing panel line are with my Tritool scriber. It was, to be frank, dead easy!

If I'm being picky - I think the kit control column is a bit anaemic too. :)

Jonners

• Like 1

There is a bit of warpage on mine too - but as said its not a huge issue. I actually felt is wasn't even worth mentioning - but It's good to point these things out.

My only area of concern at present is the fit of the nose cone - but that's just based on dry fits - so don't get worried yet!! LOL

Jonners

And considerable on mine.

Hmmm, went, had a look, ordered...

That's the problem with the Internet, it's too easy to add to the stash :lol:

Hmmm, went, had a look, ordered, order acknowledged, email received apologising for no stock, order cancelled 😩

note how there is no metal frame on the front edge of the sliding canopy portion, just a squared off section, something I noticed on the Hendon F.8 at the open cockpit evening.

Same on the Vampire F.3 BTW

EDIT some pics I took at the open cockpit evening

DSCF0651_zpshxp9agtr.jpg

4d74433d-8a17-4592-b509-ca5c04e400fa_zps

DSCF0649_zpsugwgfubx.jpg

DSCF0648_zpsacwwtvuu.jpg

DSCF0647_zpsx5nmykmi.jpg

DSCF0646_zpswvxeazur.jpg

Quite a few differences in there compared to an RAAF Mark 8

Would it help anyone if I went up to the Jet Museum at Staverton next week and compare the kit to the airframe it was based/LIDARed on to clarify on these panel line and other issues anyone wants to raise? I suppose though it would mean I would have to buy the kit. Oh darn it (not) :winkgrin:

Hmmm, went, had a look, ordered, order acknowledged, email received apologising for no stock, order cancelled

Thay's because that Kunac-Tabinor fellow bought three at once and all these other scallywags think it's

de rigeur to do likewise you see Tony........................... :wicked: :wicked: :P :P :P :P

• Like 2

Hmmm, went, had a look, ordered, order acknowledged, email received apologising for no stock, order cancelled

I am sure Evil Bay will oblige.

Thay's because that Kunac-Tabinor fellow bought three at once and all these other scallywags think it's

de rigeur to do likewise you see Tony........................... :wicked: :wicked: :P :P :P :P

I reckon he's on commission from Airfix given the number of kits people have bought on the strength of this thred!

Martin