Meteors! First one now finished, TWO more on the go!

I noticed that there are two types of canopy too. Potential for earlier marks?

not really, as the airframes are very different, but the F.8 did use both types of canopy, and was widely used. (Israel, RAAF, Brazil,Belgium, Netherlands etc )

the only similar airframe is the FR.9, the F.4 was 30 inches shorter, the PR10 has the earlier tail and longer wings, the T.7 has the twin canopy, the NF's have more changes, though IIRC a new cockpit /nose will allow a NF11/13

Airfix don't seem to be keen on making use of modular mouldings, but be interesting to see what happens with the Meteor, though the AM folks may be gearing up.

• Like 1

I noticed that there are two types of canopy too. Potential for earlier marks?

Only earlier F8's as they ( and the FR9 and PR10) had the earlier solid rear hood, as noted by Troy above. Earlier marks had totally different canopy arrangements, the F3 and F4 for instance had fixed rear portions. There are parts in the kit to suggest an FR9, so expect that in a new boxing. Thats about as modular as this kit goes, apart from an Australian F8, though a T7 could be produced with a new fuselage, tail planes, cockpit and canopy, using the kits wings etc., that might be a step too far for Airfix, but you never know...

Hi gang - as we initially thought the kit would be out late April/ early May - thats what we've been working towards for the decal release. It's annoying - but I've only myself to blame for not pushing ahead sooner.

But I reckon this will give you time to build one, paint it , then buy some decals :)

he hopes....

Jonners

Hi gang - as we initially thought the kit would be out late April/ early May - thats what we've been working towards for the decal release. I's annoying - but I've only myself to blame for not pushing ahead sooner.

But I reckon this will give you time to build one, paint it , then buy some decals :)

he hopes....

Jonners

Hannants new sheets aren't out yet.....Airfix caught them out too! Regardless I will need your sheet as I have to replace my CA version of 41Sqns XH480.... No rush Jonners, no rush...

CA version, built ca. 2003.

f83.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 4

Thanks for the pictures Jonners, just wish my kits would arrive, the way it is looking I will only get one sometime next week, with the Holidays upon us...............Now I wonder how many successful conversions I can do...............

Thanks for the pictures Jonners, just wish my kits would arrive, the way it is looking I will only get one sometime next week, with the Holidays upon us...............Now I wonder how many successful conversions I can do...............

FR9 perhaps?

Jonners

Like the inclusion of both 'lastic bands too,you could do one fitted with the "bonnet" up and one on a

transport frame/test stand too.

Great for those amongst us(like me)that like to show a few ground types having a fiddle.

Before I left to spend the evening drinking wine with a beautiful woman, I did a little glueing. I started with the rather nicely detailed wheel wells.

So, my first tip for this model is: Be precise with your glue application. The parts click in nicely, but you need to make sure they are seated properly. The lower wing might benefit from a little gentle bending to align it with the rear spar. Just a tad, but in kits 2 & 3 I'll do this. The plastic is actually pretty thin for an IM kit, is it does flex easily.

But, cor! So far, is nice :)

Jonners

Great, now you've done it and made me buy one....

Btw. Jonners, congratulations and best of luck with the beautiful woman decal venture!! The news (well, not so new any more now) completely passed me by until I read it in this thread!!

Cheers

Jeffrey

How I envy you all.

My local model shop is Hornby itself. .........They do not have this kit in stock and do not know when they will :jump_fire::angrysoapbox.sml::rant::rant::rant:

Dick

Totally brassed off of Broadstairs

• Like 2

How I envy you all.

My local model shop is Hornby itself. .........They do not have this kit in stock and do not know when they will :jump_fire::angrysoapbox.sml::rant::rant::rant:

Dick

Totally brassed off of Broadstairs

No wonder Hornby have money problems, that is incompetence on an industrial scale!

Martin

• Like 1

Does anyone know the expected availability of the Xtradecals sheets?

I'm awaiting the arrival of the kit at Hannants to place an order, but I'd love to get two of those sheets to go with it if possible.

Cheers,

Motty.

duly corrected. Will they send you a kit or two BTW as thanks?

Jonners

Cant comment on that but if it was to occur the kit would be assembled as our A77-868

and go straight on display at the museum as would be proper.

• Like 2

A T7 for a start Ali! I'm planning on using a Classic Airframe fuselage and cockpit with Airfix wings undercarriage etc., or even a T7.5 using Airfix's tail unit.........

Righty ho - so I've attached the wheel bays - it all fits very well, though do make sure sprue attachment points are cleaned up, and make sure the spars and side walls are located fully in.

76C975EB-72ED-469B-AC21-EE615038378B_zps

A quick tape together of things shows that the fit promises to be very good. I reckon you could if you wanted leave off the intake fairings and attach at final assembly. The engine bay covers seem to be a good fit too. Even the separate rear karman fairings at the wing fuselage interface don't seem like they will cause probs. I'm not saying its a zero filler model, but it looks like it will be only minimal.

I'm using kit 1 to check for pitfalls, so Kits 2 & 3 will start shortly.

2B5F0ADD-3925-494E-A125-702490025B46_zps

4E5AF0F4-A1BF-4BC3-81E1-BA847710AA45_zps

cheers

Jonners

• Like 10

I think I just figured out why Hornby is having financial difficulties.

I came home to find this. I was initially worried that I'd accidently ordered 6 Meteors and SWMBO would kill me.

20160325_125904_zpsbn1pwf0n.jpg

But no, it's an enourmous box filled with scrunched up brown paper. We've had >$1000 orders of Pontos come in a box smaller than that. The volumetric weight is huge.

The pre-order was free postage too. It was delivered by DPD. It probably cost Hornby £10/15 to send that up here...

• Like 5