That Hasegawa Tornado Nose.....and other queries

Jackman

Hello,

1) I was wondering if there's a fix for the "too short" nose of the 1/72 attack versions of the Hasegawa Tornado ( IDS, GR.1, GR.4, etc). After searching the various forums, I gather there was a PP Aeroparts & DrPepperResin resin correction noses. But both of which seem out of production. And I understand the SBS set is for the Revell kit.

So, it is possible to graft the Italeri nose onto the Hasegawa one? Has anyone does this yet?

2) Also, does the Hasegawa GR.1 & GR.4 kits have everything one needs for a GR.4 ?

3) Is the Aires 1/72 Tornado IDS cockpit set the only game in town for aftermarket cockpits? Is it ok for GR.1 & 4 versions?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

Thanks for the offer. But I did a bit more online research & it seems I was mistaken about the Dr Pepper set. Apparently it's for the Revell kit & not for the Hase one :(

Also, it could be just me, but I've just been looking at some pics I just found online; do you find the DrPepper nose to be a bit too bulbous? especially at the top?

http://vvsmodelling.com/2014/03/05/panavia-tornado-marineflieger-1/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42059-tornado-gr1/ ( Post #16)

To my untrained eye, the Italeri nose looks ok to me and since I have spare Italeri fuselage halves collecting dust in my scrap box, I wanted to know if I should give it a go. I also have the Esci fuselage halves in the scrap box.

There is also the Flightpath set for the Tornado GR.1. It is designed for the Hasegawa set and includes a replacement nose

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17957&cat=283&page=2

Indeed, the Flightpath set IS the PP Aeroparts set. David Parkins took over the range when Tim Perry sold up.

• Like 1

Hmm, I guess the Flightpaths set is the way to go then. Not too sure about spending the dough just for the nose parts, though. I really don't need all that other stuff in the set. Anyone got a spare PP Aeroparts nose they could sell?

There are a few other aftermarket 1/72 Tornado noses around, SBS and one other I think. I would avoid the Dr.Pepper noses as they are poorly shaped and need modifying in their own right. The AM noses available are meant for the Revell kit but with a little bit of attention maybe they could fit the Hasegawa Tornado. If you can get hold of the Flightpath nose it is a great improvement however.

David.

Edit now I think about it I used a Flightpath nose (meant for Hasegawa kit) on a Revell Tornado and IIRC it fitted without much fuss, therefore I guess you should be able to use the Am nose for the Revell kit on the Hasegawa kit.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

Thanks friends. My reason for asking about the Hasegawa kit rather than the Revell one is that, I've got about 4-5 of the Hase ones in my stash and figured I'd dust them off and stick some of the nice Model Alliance decals on them. I can live with the tail & wings but that nose just looks "stunted / bloated".

• 2 weeks later...

I inserted a 5 mm plug on the radome, about 3 mm ahead of the radome/fuselage panel line; while keeping the top side profile line continuous. The lower side of the radome then needs a very small amount of sanding to blend it in. That restored the profile quite well enough to my eye.

I inserted a 5 mm plug on the radome, about 3 mm ahead of the radome/fuselage panel line; while keeping the top side profile line continuous. The lower side of the radome then needs a very small amount of sanding to blend it in. That restored the profile quite well enough to my eye.

Sounds interesting. Any pics?

Cheers,

Andre

Sounds interesting. Any pics?

Cheers,

Andre

Unfortunately not with me - the model is also in a different country from where I live and work at the moment. Otherwise I could quickly take some photos....

R

Depending on what you 're after, there's one point possibly worth bearing in mind : The AirDoc folks claim that the official documentation is wrong regarding fuselage length, which possibly affects not only kits but aftermarket corrections as well. If it matters for you, look up the blurb for their Tornado book on their "little shop of phantoms " to get a clearer picture of the issue.