Masking templates from decals

eng

Wasn't sure where to chuck this query so mods feel free to move it if you need to.

I was reading through someone's thread a few weeks ago that happened to have a very good explanation of how to use kit decals as a guide to make masking templates for painting. I thought this was very useful and intended to note how it was done.....but I didn't......and now I cannot remember who or where the post was!

Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions on how to go about this? I'm looking to create templates for the black exhaust areas and fuselage handhold area's on the sides of my Seaking HC.4 rather than using the decals provided in the kit.

I'd be very grateful for any assistance with this, I'm sure it's pretty straight forward but me brain won't engage at the moment!

Rgds,

Eng

Did not see that thread, but I have used decals as templates for masks, what I did was photocopy the decal sheet, carefully cut out the section I wanted to make a mask of from the copy paper, lightly stick masking tape to a clean cutting mat, then put the paper over that and cut around the perimeter of the hole on the paper to cut the tape into a mask. If the shape is complicated, I would trace around the inside of the hole in the paper with a mechanical pencil, remove the paper, make any adjustments by hand and then cut the tape.

I have heard of people applying the decals to the tape directly, but that only gives you one shot to make the mask properly, which seemed a bit dodgy for someone like myself prone to ham-fistedness, and I also know someone who sprayed the color of the decal, then applied the decal after trimming away all clear film, sprayed the surrounding color over everything and then used masking tape to pull off the decal - applied the decal just to use it as a mask itself, in other words. I know why they did it, cheap decals with obvious print dots, but still...

Hi

I've tried this a few times with varying success.

Making yellow letters for a P-40 was a challenge. My first attempt was to make a home made yellow decal but as the yellow printed decal is not a strong colour so the base colour showed through.

so I had the idea to print another decal and cut out the shape to use the paper as a stencil. A bit like the idea above. This wasn't great as the airbrush lifted the paper and yellow got underneath the mask giving a feathered edge.

By now the model was yellow so I applied the black decals over the yellow, repainted the base colour and when dry removed the decals to leave the required yellow letters.

The next plan was to use the carrier film from the above as a stencil but it wasnt necessary.

HTH Colin