Various Colours, Colourcoats

Shar2

Various Colours
Colourcoats, Sovereign Hobbies

paints.jpg

I’ve been a long time advocate for Colourcoats enamels and it was with shock and sadness that these paints were to be no more with the demise of White Ensign Models. Fortunately though, Sovereign Hobbies were able to buy the rights to the paints and, I believe with the help of John Snyder, have been able to re-release them, although with a slightly revised recipe. They still have to be some of the most accurate enamels, colour wise, around. The first thing you notice is the new style labels on the tins. These are not only of a cleaner, fresher design; they are also so much easier to read. This reviewers eyesight is not the best and the old style backgrounds made it very difficult to read what the colours were.

The paints themselves appear to be of a finer pigment than even the originals, but they mix very well and seem to be thicker, making brush painting a lot easier too. Having used these new colours on a number of projects they do need a fair bit of thinning to use in an airbrush, but the results have been generally very good, with good coverage using a 0.4 needle, although when using a 0.2 needle I found it difficult to get the right balance between paint and thinners, meaning that the airbrush sometimes spluttered the paint out and it drying on the airbrush tip, so still need to do some experimentation. That said I did get some great results on a large repainting job that I carried out for my Model Club. The paints received for this review cover air, land and maritime subjects and include the following:-

• ACGW02 – Khaki, (PC-10) (RFC/USAAC)

bin.jpg

• ACGW10 – Doped Linen

bin.jpg

• ARB02 – Deep Bronze Green

bin.jpg

• ARB06 – Modern British Army Green

bin.jpg

• US26 – US MTB Green

bin.jpg

• GW02 - #2 Grey WW1 RN Grey

bin.jpg

Conclusion
These are great paints, with spot on colour, fine pigments and can be used both in an airbrush and paint brush. It’s great to see these paints re-born, and that they are still sourced in the UK, thanks to Sovereign Hobbies. Very highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of:logo.gif

• Like 6

I stocked up on the Armee de l'Air and Regia Aeronautica colours at the Scottish Nationals last year, as well as the U.S. Navy and IJN colours this year and I have been very pleased with them - they really are excellent quality paints.

Cheers,

Stew

I tried the early Luftwaffe colours RLM02, 65,70 and 71 on a recent Bf109 build and was very pleased with the results even though I made a bit of a mess of the fading (which was entirely my fault).

Duncan B