Help with identifying this photo

Hi Guys

UNKNOWN_zpsrknv2vgy.jpg

I've recently come across this very nice photo in my father-in-law's house, and I'm hoping someone may be able to identify it for me.

I don't have any info at all on the ship or where the photo was taken.

I do know that he served on this ship at some time in his naval career, but sadly he is no longer with us to ask.

Hoping someone can help,

Thanks,

deecee

Hi Deecee,

Sorry, but I can add nothing more illuminating than, 'Floating target'.

However, I am doing something similar with as many ships as possible that my great-grandfather served on during his naval career. So if it is OK and I have not annoyed you too much with my typical all things floaty quip, I'll follow with interest.

Christian, exiled to a place similar to that in the foreground above

Hi deecee

I'm not certain; however, she does look like a sloop of the Bridgewater class, possibly HMS Bridgewater or HMS Sandwich. The photo looks to have been taken early in her career as the vessel has the old style gun on the foc'sle which was uprated just before WW2.

I have highlighted your image a little here. The view appears to show the ship on the Caribbean Station in the 1930's.

unknown1.jpg

Here is a view of HMS Bridgwater soon after completion in 1929 (photo: World Ship Society).

hms_bridgewater_1929_800.jpg

Here is your photo, cropped and resized to a similar size to the photo of HMS Bridgewater

unknown1_800.jpg

Photo's of ships, whether merchant or naval, should be very welcome here. If not, then I would be grateful to receive images via pm or email for my database. They also help me to answer other's queries on shipping matters.

HTH

Mike

• Like 7

On further investigation, a later class of similar design had five double doors; notably the Shoreham class and, of these, HMS Scarborough (L25) and HMS Dundee (L84) served on the West Indies Station in the 1930's. The others of the class appear to have served either on the Home Station, China Station, Gulf Station or Africa Station.

Ships of Shoreham class:

HMS Bideford L43 later U43

HMS Fowey L15 later U15

HMS Rochester L50 later U50 and F50

HMS Shoreham L32 later U32

HMS Dundee L34 later U34

HMS Falmouth 34 later U34 and F34

HMS Milford L51 later U51

HMS Weston L72 later U72

Mike

Thank you, guys, for your responses.

That's particularly neat of you, Mike, to match the two images and I have to say they are pretty close. I haven't searched yet for vessels in this class so I'll see what comes up.

I did guess initially at the Red Sea - because of the palm trees!! - but maybe the background is too mountainous for that. It does appear very similar to that shown behind your image of Bridgwater.

In fact, the skyline of the hills is almost identical, it must surely be Caribbean Station.

My mother-in-law is too ill now to try and remember, in fact they were not married at that time so she may not have known his naval history.

My brother-in-law may have some knowledge and if I find out more I will pass it on.

You are most welcome to copy and use the image.

Thanks again for your help,

deecee

Done a bit of ship spotting.

If you look in the picture blown up by Mike you can see an additional vent of some description.

Look at the Mainmast (aft mast) and come forward. There are 2 small lines then a rounded shape. Forward of this is another line.

This is not present on the picture of the Bridgewater that Mike supplied. I have gone through a series of photos of the class courtesy of google and have only found one so far with this 3rd vertical 'protuberance'. Oddly enough it is one of HMS Bridgewater.

It may be something that is worth looking into to date the Photograph. Perhaps something fitted or removed during the life of the ships? It may give you an approx time-frame.

Edit to add the photo I found is here and is dated May 1939. http://www.worldnavalships.com/ship_photo.php?ProdID=108369

I have not reproduced it as the picture is for sale and may be subject to copyright.

Grimsby Class Sloop HMS Swan? Those ports match the top photo.

Edited by bzn20

Done a bit of ship spotting.

If you look in the picture blown up by Mike you can see an additional vent of some description.

Look at the Mainmast (aft mast) and come forward. There are 2 small lines then a rounded shape. Forward of this is another line.

This is not present on the picture of the Bridgewater that Mike supplied. I have gone through a series of photos of the class courtesy of google and have only found one so far with this 3rd vertical 'protuberance'. Oddly enough it is one of HMS Bridgewater.

It may be something that is worth looking into to date the Photograph. Perhaps something fitted or removed during the life of the ships? It may give you an approx time-frame.

Edit to add the photo I found is here and is dated May 1939. http://www.worldnavalships.com/ship_photo.php?ProdID=108369

I have not reproduced it as the picture is for sale and may be subject to copyright.

post #5 has moved us on from the Bridgewater class to the Shoreham class. This looks to be much nearer the type of vessel and has five double doors, which match the photo, unlike the Bridgewater class that only has three sets of doors.

Grimsby Class Sloop HMS Swan? Those ports match the top photo.

The Grimsby class had a raised gun deck in front of the bridge and therefore had two gun positions. The break (drop) from the foc'sle deck down to the main deck was deeper and located ahead of the second mast, whereas the break in the photo in question is behind the mast.

• Like 2

Bootneck

I'll stick to VC10s I think....I saw those two ports,like black squares on the photo ! Thought that would do it! Cheers!