DC-3/C-47 Seating and Radar Nose

Wez

With the Airliner III GB starting later in the year I've decided to build a DC-3/C-47 from the Columbian airline SANTENA.

From my research I think they were configured with 24 seats.

As far as I know, none of the current 1/72nd scale kits have airliner type seats - unless you know different, so does anyone in the aftermarket make airliner type seats in 1/72nd scale? If I have to I'll scratch build some but for the sake of consistency I'd prefer not to.

Being a sucker for punishment, my subject has a radar nose, not the much longer nose but the slightly longer more pointed nose commonly seen. Does anyone know of/have plans for a radar nosed DC-3/C-47? I'm planning on scratch building the nose and would prefer something to work from but if I have to, I shall, in time honoured fashion, make it up as I go along!

Thanks in advance.

Wez

Edited by Wez

Ray,

Thanks for the tip on the ESCI DC-3 kit, I've got one their Dakota's in the stash but it's an age since I last looked at it, I don't recall any airliner type seats in it but I obviously need to take a look.

Wez

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

I thought that the ESCI kit also came with the slightly more pointed nose. However it does seem that there were a number of variations with this kit that I haven't kept track of.

Graham,

IIRC, they released a kit of the R4D-5 used in the Antarctic, I believe included ski's but not the radar nose (which the real aircraft had), although I'm quite willing to admit I could be well wrong on this. I'll check it out when I go stash rummaging.

I have it - I tried selling it last year but fortunately, for the purpose of this thread, failed. Looking at it inside its sealed pack, the nose is longer and slightly pointier than that of the Italeri Dak. This is reflected in the nose art, not to be trusted by itself. Yes it does include skis. But no airliner seats, sadly.

Edited by Graham Boak

Ray,

Thanks for the tip on the ESCI DC-3 kit, I've got one their Dakota's in the stash but it's an age since I last looked at it, I don't recall any airliner type seats in it but I obviously need to take a look.

Wez

Only the DC-3 kit came with seats, the other C-47/Dakota issues had the troop seats.

Only the DC-3 kit came with seats, the other C-47/Dakota issues had the troop seats.

Thanks for that saves a pointless foray into the stash