1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

thank you chaps, very kind :)

little more done - the cockpit needs bulkheads so I started with frame 10 which is one I had the lining etched as part of the set as it has a load of equally spaced holes.. I cut out some sides from litho and put a bit of plastic between them to space them.. This set the scene for a lot of repetative bending, folding, cutting and filing to make many of these kinds of structures..

..in this case I folded the sides of the etched part and then annealed it to try and shape it around an aerosol can as it is curved in cross section..

WIP126_zpsurhn51zu.jpg

..then went on to add other bulkhead parts and lateral stiffeners - the ones with small fasteners were little sods and I almost wished I didn't try and make them like that as they took ages to get the fasteners made and fixed..

WIP127_zps0fvudeef.jpg

WIP128_zps5fpc4lez.jpg

..same sort of activity to get the parts done on the top half, except here for a bit of variety I could at least start to make the box section where the canopy winding handle and chain guard will go...

WIP129_zpsxmmmxfoh.jpg

WIP130_zps50lvcakc.jpg

..the key here is get the groundwork done on which to build all the interesting details...

..lastly, I want to try and match the sidewall I am making to the bulkhead and then adapt the cockpit 'pod' I cut away from the fuselage to fit, To do this, I have made the jig to hold the sidewall match the shape of frame 11 - sort of like this...

WIP131_zpsuhtlsrrc.jpg

..the problem I haven't solved yet is matching the walls to the floor as the cockpit is quite open and all those half bulkheads on the sidewall need to somehow be continuous across the floor later..

one for a bit of headscratching...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 13

..the problem I haven't solved yet is ...

I don't know why ... but I think you'll manage to solve this issue !

Congrats again and again and again and .... for this unbelievable job !

• Like 1

Great work yet again Peter looks excellent !

No doubt you will get round the wall to floor problem.

Guy

• Like 1

evening folks :)

undercarriage control - or 'chassis control' according the the manual..

..in the cockpit it looks like this - quite a lot of complicated shapes actually - I thought initially it was just a cylindrical shape with a slit for the lever, but the mounting, chain guard (going forward) and a bunch of hoses connected (underneath) make it more complicated than it looks...

WIP134_zpsbazyrqex.jpg

..I started by making the hose connector from some plastic stock, drilling it to accept some pipe, also the front and rear disc are from the PE set as is the handle. The handle has some rough cut tube to give it bodey inside the structure when it is assembled later..

WIP133_zpsioljwgl9.jpg

..for the cylindrical body itself I cut some brass tube and ground a slot in it. To get a nice thin slot for the lever I cut it into a bit of litho with which to skin the brass tube..

..to round it, I rolled it into a foam sanding stick with a brass rod..

WIP135_zpsru9iqxx9.jpg

..made up the chain guard from sheet, and added fittings for the hoses...

WIP136_zpsngmrw6lw.jpg

..and in the end a collection of parts to assemble.. the black bit is the handle which I turned on the dremel from a bit of a sharpie lid as it was the same sort of black plastic..

WIP137_zpsuld0qafz.jpg

...the great thing about the Monforton book is I can work from scaled drawings for most of the parts - here it helps align the assemblies..

WIP138_zpsz4bw8b6q.jpg

..and the main parts assembled...

WIP141_zps3ba9bfvy.jpg

WIP140_zpsjbkbhmjw.jpg

WIP139_zpsnc2f1jmz.jpg

..a thousand more bits like that and it will be finished :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 19

Makes me feel a little bit sick, this does. I'm barely able to get a result by banging Lego pieces together, and here's this bloke planning on scale piston rings.

Anyone wanna buy a stash?

• Like 1

Anyone wanna buy a stash?

Don't sell it !

Just keep in mind that Peter is NOT human , his name is Airscale , and he has bionic eyes ( zoom x 20 , with IR , X rays .... ) bionic hands ( 12 of them at least ) !

We don't play in the same league , galaxy in fact !

• Like 3

..the problem I haven't solved yet is matching the walls to the floor as the cockpit is quite open and all those half bulkheads on the sidewall need to somehow be continuous across the floor later..

one for a bit of headscratching...

TTFN

Peter

i think this could be less of a problem as it might seem as despite the spit having an open "floor" i think the only bulkhead that can be somewhat clearly seen is the one for the instrument pannel, and it passes underneath the "floor beams/ rudder rods" so one could hide the seems under those components where, the rear ones can be joined under the center of the seat.

page 391 of the spitfire enineered book has a quite nice picture of the layout.

Edited by lunarhighway
  • Like 1

Flippin Eck !!!

I'm in awe ! :worthy:

Guy

• Like 1

evening ladies :)

i think this could be less of a problem as it might seem as despite the spit having an open "floor" i think the only bulkhead that can be somewhat clearly seen is the one for the instrument pannel, and it passes underneath the "floor beams/ rudder rods" so one could hide the seems under those components where, the rear ones can be joined under the center of the seat.

page 391 of the spitfire enineered book has a quite nice picture of the layout.

ah thank you - that is reassuring - thankfully that bulkhead is what I am working on now and is in one piece..

..I started the frame that the instrument panel bolts to - frame 8 - again it is a PE sandwich with some plastic stock as a spacer. I also had the ring of rivets made and a strip of paired rivets to go around the inside edge..

WIP142_zpshksbcavz.jpg

WIP143_zpsjhacmcnj.jpg

..I had a look at the panel itself - this is based on the 1/24 version I have coming out in a few weeks...

WIP144_zpsfjoyorvx.jpg

...I started to set out some of the detailing - two brass turned dimmer switches at the bottom, along with a pair of switches for the coil & starter. There are also a couple of raised bezels and a folded gauge for the increased fuel tanks in the FR version..

WIP146_zpsqizfdkmq.jpg

..also started making the oxygen control thing - I made a depression in some plasticine with an allen key and added some dips with a rounded cocktail stick to get a shape I could cast the tiny funny shaped wheel from in resin. There are a couple of glass tubes too so made these with clear stretched sprue.. There is alsoa tiny flap selector about 2mm square..

WIP145_zpsejwjvuo5.jpg

..lastly I tried getting my printer to run off the 1/24 decal master scaled up to 1/18 and printed on clear film - I painted the back an ivory colour and am experimenting with printing on the reverse so it 'glazes itself'.. I may also try doing the needles on a separate layer of film to give some depth..

WIP147_zpsmshongrf.jpg

..and this dry fit is where I am at..

WIP148_zpsi2nkhvpn.jpg

WIP149_zpsfyjbi9gu.jpg

TTFN

Peter

• Like 22

Hi Peter,

Those instruments are looking awesome, the whole panel is going to be awesome!!

Guy

• Like 1

Peter,

Question: What kind of printer are you using for the instrument dials? (Just curious)

Loving your work and your storytelling of the process. Most inspirational and educational...

Cheers!

PR

• Like 1