1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

Of course, you know you have no chance of winning at Telford Peter.  As a matter of fact, I believe you've already won.  The close-up photo was SO GOOD that it looked like the real thing to me!

Enjoy your time in Miami!

PR

• Like 1

Wow, that's just amazing. Looking forward to seeing this at Telford - I strongly suspect it will win first place in the large scale aircraft category which I think would be class 18 - Aircraft - 1/47 scale and larger ASD, ASC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

evening folks, I have missed you :)

so, back from Miami and while I won't bore you with a travelogue, I can say it was a sensational trip and again I am in love with the life there... just got to keep doing the Lottery :)

as for the Spit, I have only had an hour or two, but even in that short time learned a valuable lesson..

here is the filler cap for the fuel tank behind the seat - the best shot I have of it anyway...

WIP1237_zpsuo8tndoc.jpg

..I turned the parts from brass hexagonal stock and added rivets around the edge..

WIP1238_zpsheozited.jpg

..dry fitted together it looks like this - a circular cap with two lugs on it goes on the very top...

WIP1240_zpsydtq7y2r.jpg

..then came the lesson - I looked for a pic of TZ138 to see what colour it was and found a completely different fitting (and note the pop-on / pop-off cover surrounding it..)....

WIP1235_zpsvgn2yeyo.jpg

..lesson being; start looking at your subject first, then find references to compare, not find good references and assume thats what your subject is like :ninja:

..it also opened out another question - this is TZ138 at the time - look at the filler pipe - to me it looks like the same colour as the canopy frame and I thought maybe as it was sponsored by ESSO that maybe they painted the fuel pipe corporate colours? I suppose it's possible - it's that or the same green as the tank - one to seek opinion on so over to you?

WIP1234_zpsf41pxm0g.jpg

..I also noticed in this shot the lugs on the cap are different sizes and the cap is weathered brass..

WIP1236_zpsiiv2y2qn.jpg

..it didn't take long to make up a pipe like the one in the pic - and I tried to use an old bit of brass that had some age to it and preserve the finish while making the cap part..

WIP1239_zpscefa2v2t.jpg

..made up a dummy skin panel to start to get the feel for the fitting angle and position - this is just roughed out for now..

WIP1241_zpsuljvvmaw.jpg

WIP1242_zps5tfrtahf.jpg

glad to be back at it actually as I am starting to feel the pressure to get it done by November...

On 11/04/2017 at 0:38 PM, Nigel Heath said:

Wow, that's just amazing. Looking forward to seeing this at Telford - I strongly suspect it will win first place in the large scale aircraft category which I think would be class 18 - Aircraft - 1/47 scale and larger ASD, ASC.

Wow Nigel, thank you - I have never entered so I doubt that, but it is very helpful to know what class it would go into if it is finished in time :)

it is a pretty daunting thought actually given it is quite a stressful weekend anyway running my stand etc - oh well lets see how it goes...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 12

I am deeply conflicted. On the one hand, I never want this build to end given the continual flow of marvels appearing from your work bench, but on the other hand I desperately need to see what it's going to look like when it's finished.

On the gripping hand, we've all had an extremely wonderful treat to be able to watch this masterpiece take shape, and we can take comfort knowing that the Tigercat still isn't done yet. Nudge, nudge.

• Like 2

Glad you had a great time in Miami! Even though you made one small mistake with the filler pipe/cap, at least you didn't turn a blind eye to other references and corrected it. I'd imagine the pipe would have been corporate colours but the verdict is still out on that one. Good job and keep up the great work!

Jake

• Like 1

At this stage I am struggling to work out what is a reference picture and what is a work in progress shot. 

I think one of the break throughs I made in modelling, only quite recently, was that I started to view each sub assembly as a model in it's own right, this allows the building up of detail until the whole looks the part.  This build takes it to the level where each sub assembly could be exhibited in a glass cabinet on it's own.

This is a serious contender for best model ever built.  My vocabulary does not contain sufficient superlatives for what I imagine the finished Spitfire will look like.

• Like 5

evening ladies :)

thank you very much for your kind words - much appreciated as always

this evenings update is another little milestone in the Spitfire journey as now the cockpit pod is all buttoned up and fitted permanently..

..first the pod itself was fitted which took an hour or two of jiggling to get the rollover bulkhead central and where the skin runs up to the rollover structure (when that comes) nice and level with the rear fuselage...

..also the front part with the instrument panel needed to be the right position and again central..

WIP1243_zpsn07kfvcf.jpg

..the section removed from the fuselage was thinned to within an inch of it's life, so much so I kept breaking bits off as I handled it - I also cut out where the door and the fuel filler pipe are...

..I did think about just bulking out to the fuselage with filler as thissection got weaker, but decided this would be too messy and actually as the part kept it's form pretty well this would be better to get the underlying contours right to skin over...

WIP1244_zpsqdvddqk0.jpg

..then it was CA'd into place slowly and carefully - the whole structure is pretty solid now and actually I was surprised and pleased at how close the pod matched the shape of the removed skin section..

WIP1245_zps9khkuhfi.jpg

..you can see here how the forward cowl matches up well with the fuselage and then runs back to the opening for the windscreen & IP - I have cut the skin away in places so it it as thin as possible at visible edges..

WIP1246_zps37asydah.jpg

..an overall view - the area will need some work to smooth & contour it and I will have to be careful about dust and damage but I could see no other way of doing it...

WIP1247_zpszggsh3sy.jpg

..the other side - here you can see the canopy rail slot and how close the cockpit pod comes to the skin...

WIP1248_zpsum30v6u6.jpg

..happy that now I can sort the bodywork out and get the skinning underway..

WIP1249_zpskalmlxi1.jpg

so, after just over a year I have an airframe and sort of feel it's home stretch time (even though I still wonder if I can actually finish it by November :))

On 23/04/2017 at 2:22 PM, At Sea said:

I think one of the break throughs I made in modelling, only quite recently, was that I started to view each sub assembly as a model in it's own right, this allows the building up of detail until the whole looks the part.  This build takes it to the level where each sub assembly could be exhibited in a glass cabinet on it's own.

Exactly! that is my mantra - every single part needs to be the absolute best I can possibly do, otherwise I just do it again - hopefully that means when it is finished, I know I couldn't have done it any better.... anywhere throughout the model...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 16

I hope you can finish it by November, it would be great to see it finished in the flesh.

i have to say when you put reference shots up I get confused as to weather it's your work or not... says something about your work really...

Rob

• Like 1

Welcome Home, Peter!

I totally get how you want each piece to be a complete kit.  I've found myself feeling the same thing -- so much so that I had more fun building the bits and pieces and didn't have much regard for building the overall kit.  Each piece of the Spit is a marvel to behold and a feast for the eyes.  You should be proud of what you've accomplished as I know it is built on lots of experience and this project is a total of the rest. 

Just keep on keepin' on, and before you know it you will be done!

Cheers!!

• Like 1

A major milestone reached - great stuff Peter. :)

Like others I hope it's ready for Telford (no pressure!) as it has to be one of the highlights of the show...

• Like 1

This build also illustrates something that all aircraft have, by necessity; the absolute engineering brilliance in each component part.

If you look at single structural components from any aircraft, even the ones that were poor performers as a whole, the components that make them are very clever, usually strong in multiple planes, light, cleverly engineered and usually do more than one job.

The closest cars come to this era of aircraft are the 1960's Lotus GP cars. 

You are capturing this functional beauty brilliantly. 

• Like 2

Trust you had a good break Peter. Nice progress getting the cockpit installed. Love the engineering of the filler cap!

Question for you. Is that masking tape that you've used to protect the wings? If so be careful it doesn't "dry out" and do any damage when you remove it. In the past I've had the stuff weld itself to metal when left too long.

Dave

• Like 2

evening folks :)

thanks for stopping by

5 hours ago, dave665 said:

Question for you. Is that masking tape that you've used to protect the wings? If so be careful it doesn't "dry out" and do any damage when you remove it. In the past I've had the stuff weld itself to metal when left too long.

Dave

thanks Dave - it is only cheap masking tape and seems to be fine - the solvent thinner I have for the cement seems to just wipe away any residue so should be ok...

bit more done, which while it doesn't look much edges me closer to the finish line...

the fuselage was treated to a bit of filler - I tried to go easy and did a few thin layers to minimise the dust created. The whole area needed it so it wasn't as if I could really mask the opening much either...

WIP1250_zpswte6mxez.jpg

WIP1251_zpsjtjvjqgx.jpg

..I masked the existing metalwork and used a small sanding block in one hand and my airbrush in the other while I held the model between my knees to keep a constant airflow to blow the dust away and soon had a good enough finish to skin over...

WIP1252_zps3am7zx1s.jpg

WIP1253_zpsd0ahrtzz.jpg

..then started to mark out reference lines for where panels, rivets or sections meet or overlap..

WIP1254_zpslbga4tsk.jpg

WIP1255_zpseukjvhay.jpg

WIP1256_zps88gowzfx.jpg

WIP1257_zpsquvkf8jn.jpg

WIP1258_zpsk3fydkld.jpg

..next I need to sort where the camera window is on each side behind the cockpit as I need to recess a section of litho to simulate the glass (it has a Canadian roundel on it) so I can skin over that without creating an uneven surface...

until next time..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 11

Wow,...just wow,......again it looks to me as if you are building a real aeroplane! The cockpit could easily pass as a real aircraft and your metalwork skinning is simply brilliant,.....I love watching your builds take shape,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Great stuff as usual Peter - lovely smooth finish on that filler.

Can you get yourself a little vacuum for the dust? It'll save you, er, how can I put this, all the blowing in your lap (fnaar!)

• Like 1

He shoots!  He scores!!

A sanding block in one hand, airbrush in the other and the model (delicate as it is at one year on) pinched between your legs?!!  Holy banana peels Batman!!!  Tell me what Gremlin would dare show up at your door?  Clearly, you know how to walk the razor's edge between genius and madness.

Keep this up and you'll be done in time for Telford and have the Firecat there next year for back-to-back 1st Place finishes!!!  (You have my vote!)

• Like 1

The stunning craftsmanship continues. The end of this project is going to be a bitter sweet finale. On one hand, I'll be sad to see your work in progress come to an end, but on the other, I can't wait to see the finished Spitfire in all it's stunning glory.

It's a pleasure to watch each section of this masterclass as it unfolds and I can't help thinking that although I know that I'll never achieve anything near, or even close to your exacting standards, it still makes me want to try and I thank you for that Peter.

This article could warrant being published as a book on the true art of modelling for all to enjoy.

Edited by cngaero
  • Like 1

evening folks :)

thanks for dropping by and leaving me words of encouragement :)

..it's a long weekend so I got a chance to get to the bench between what seemed a very long list of chores...

..I was going to add some litho to represent the camera lens window in the hatch behind the cockpit, but the more I compared pics, the more I thought a more simple approach was needed. First take a look at the hatch / window area:

..I scaled a pic of TZ138 and overlaid it with scaled monforton drawings of the XVI - you can see the hatch is in a different position in the top pic - it also usefully gave the diameter of the roundel which sits on the window lens..

..beneath that are a pic of the Thai XVI where an optically flat window can be seen - TZ138 does not seem to have that (which was handy as its more work)as can be seen in the next two pics - the window looks the same profile as the fuselage...

WIP1259_zpsli1f1cr0.jpg

..started by marking out on tape the panel area from the model itself and the window centre...

WIP1260_zpsyfgrlour.jpg

..used a burr in the dremel to radius the corners and mark out rivet lines etc..

WIP1261_zps09l6rh3s.jpg

..riveted and started to cut the slot for the canopy slide rail and a butt-stop fitting at the end..

WIP1262_zpsxqsjr7mb.jpg

..and the finished panel...

WIP1263_zpssa6htc1h.jpg

..once the panel was laid down I used tape to get the exact profile of the hatch..

WIP1264_zpsnozfzwbv.jpg

..used that to start laying out the detail and the aperture for the window, including scoring the middle so I could cleanly break it out in sections....

WIP1266_zpsv1rnh2eg.jpg

..then the hatch was finished too..

WIP1265_zpskpi4y6ns.jpg

..and the panel & hatch fitted in place, with the hinge added from folded scored litho - the roundel will just be a rub down decal I expect & I will scale it to fit..

WIP1268_zpsnonbeysn.jpg

WIP1267_zpsy9uaj4tx.jpg

..job done, now to move onto the other side - that doesn't have a hatch so will be easier :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 11

Hi Peter,

Question:  Are you going to lay a clear plastic piece for the window then burnish the decal in? 

I was thinking that would give it a smooth (flat) surface to lay the decal upon and a different underlayment (than litho) thus giving the decal a slightly different look.  Kinda like the difference between paint on fabric v paint on metal.

Just a thought...

Thank you for sharing your excellence!

• Like 1