1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

thanks folks & good evening :)

moving along a bit - I got some nice pics from the Mk14 manual from Bob so could clear up some of the fit questions I had - I needed to remake the rudder trim housing as it is the longer 'L' shape and a cover panel to the rear of that - also a big control unit that has switches for fuel and electrical stuff as seen here..

WIP1111_zpsi3hias5d.jpg

..started by making a template in paper of how I would cut and fold the litho to make the main control box..

WIP1112_zpshh7r6pd1.jpg

..needed to make a tool for my folding thing, and it took two goes to get the folds in the right order...

WIP1113_zpsorsizlro.jpg

..ended up with the box structure - it has a dink in it where a fold got pinched, but I wasn't about to do it for the third time..

WIP1114_zpsiflphhlh.jpg

..used some dymo tape to line up some airscale bezels as switch housings..

WIP1115_zpstlsohzav.jpg

..soon had the top pretty much done - the switch bodies were turned from wire on my dremel...

WIP1116_zpspsbxi7xe.jpg

..and added everything else I could see in the picture..

WIP1117_zpsl0paxsnx.jpg

WIP1118_zpsuuz3ixrd.jpg

..and this is where it sits on the sidewall - also the new rudder trim panel is in place - the panel behind that was made from a MkXIX reference but is pretty much common with this one I guess..

WIP1119_zpscwqhsv2o.jpg

WIP1120_zpsaiaz2yf2.jpg

..thats it for now - more gubbins next time :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 13

haha - you guys crack me up :) - I am reputable, reputable at what I am not saying...

todays component was the Voltage Regulator - as seen bottom left here...

WIP1121_zps3cqpielt.jpg

..I found a better picture online as it was mounted here on high backs...

WIP1122_zpsnenzmvlp.jpg

..started by making the base from card, brass and bolts..

WIP1123_zpskx3mku71.jpg

..then the second layer and box shapes...

WIP1124_zps0e7w2hth.jpg

..the tubular parts were made from brass tube (had a bad day trying it on the lathe..) and pressed endcaps made..

WIP1125_zpsjygipuak.jpg

...and all assembled..

WIP1126_zpsk851srws.jpg

WIP1127_zpscjq1wpsr.jpg

..and dry fitted in place..

WIP1129_zpsgzlm5xd8.jpg

WIP1128_zpscar0r0ya.jpg

..another bit tomorrow I expect :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 11

As I've said before, it amazes me that you (seemingly) knock up a complex assembly of minute parts in no time at all, and make it look like the simplest thing in the world.  OK, I remember it is 1/18 scale, but still, those individual metal-shavings can't be very large.  I'd spend a whole day figuring out how to consider perhaps approaching how to maybe cut out that first part...

By the way, Peter, I'll give you a hundred bucks for it when it's done! ;)

bob

• Like 1

evening folks and thank you :)

hmm $101 bid eh -  I think I have more than that in just tiny nuts, bolts & rivets so I will have to wait for a better offer I am afraid :)

as for progress, only a little to report - the priority was to get the basic sidewall structure complete and the main components finished so I could prime them..

the sidewall has a few more structures and mounts for the trim wheel and throttle quadrant..

WIP1132_zpslwquwwoz.jpg

..this was painted with etch primer diluted with Mr levelling thinners...

WIP1134_zpsgrhvimi7.jpg

WIP1135_zpseahfd0sq.jpg

..also prepared the bits and bobs - I have masked the wiring with a bit of tube as I quite like the colours they are already, additionally this group also includes the throttle which needed a sort of guard rail added to the top..

WIP1130_zpsaw1tzzfl.jpg

WIP1131_zpsht3myeeo.jpg

..and again primed..

WIP1133_zpspit2ucrd.jpg

..now it is set for a coat of green and the detail painting to be done - after that some assembly and plumbing :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 11

Priceless!  Simply priceless!

This level of work is where it boggles my mind.  I have always been one to do the detail painting first and then assembly.  Along the way, it seems that everyone does it the other way around, assembly and then painting. 

Looking forward to how you render the pit in colour.  That portion is an artistry of its own!

Cheers!

• Like 1

good day ladies - and thank you :)

..not much to show apart from painting - I have done most of the bits I have made..

WIP1137_zpsvxjm2bwd.jpg

WIP1136_zpscy2qbz4w.jpg

WIP1138_zpsbgtrgmrd.jpg

WIP1139_zps0konrdyw.jpg

WIP1140_zpswgow6atb.jpg

WIP1141_zpsgfalzsmv.jpg

WIP1142_zpspb1juejq.jpg

it all looks a bit sterile at the moment as I am trying to work out how best to approach moving forward - I could install, and weather what I have and then start trying to plumb in all the wiring (and there is a lot of it) but risk glue marks etc, or just finish assembly with all the plumbing and weather it as one....

I also need to decide which side to install the panel and seat bulkheads into as plumbing that side will be easier as I have access, once both sides are added so it becomes a pod like this

WIP1143_zpsaojs8ys1.jpg

things will become very tricky...

the plan is once at this stage I can add one further 'wall' which will be the bottom surface and that will carry the rudder pedals and control column ..

need to stop procrastinating and just get building...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 11

Is it me or is the goal coming within sight? 

It may be me, but I dare say that the pit is where you thrive Peter and perhaps your favourite part?  It's a treat to see the parts where this all started, be fit between walls. 

Cheers!

Edited by Pastor Rich
To er is human. Proof readers untie!
  • Like 2

evening ladies :)

I got a bit of good advice about building up the starboard sidewall forst as that the one that is looked at the most as you peer in through the open cockpit door, so that is where I will start..

..in working up the sidewall it is necessary to unpick all the wiring and pipework in order to lay them down in order so they sit above each other or whatever. It is also required to actually make the parts, pipes, unions etc and then add them without breaking anything or marking the paintwork...

..I would say it would have been easier to sort out world peace, or discover a new energy source...

..Istarted by making some unions that connect the de-icer tank to the control and to make the oxygen on/off control.. I used tube, brass and a tiny cog from a box of watch parts I got on ebay (very useful for £8...)

WIP1144_zpspwqimflc.jpg

..also connected the emergency U/C blow down air bottle and de-icer pump...

WIP1147_zpsfxoq6ehf.jpg

WIP1146_zps7nmn7rrj.jpg

..I think the copper wire will discolour with age and go matt, but some of the more bendy stuff needs to be done in lead wire which is a bit fragile so is tricky to add..

...next there was a lower box section to add to the U?C control so I made this and again used watch parts for the tiny pulley wheels..

..this also has a bunch of copper coloured pipework to shape and add..

WIP1145_zpsdnd8ezuv.jpg

..and it starts to look busier - there are many more switches, wires and stuff to add - it's a wonder it wasn't all routed properly but seems to be a spaghetti splatter of random threads all throughout the cockpit...

WIP1148_zpsfjhoupec.jpg

WIP1149_zpsprrrzk53.jpg

..thats it for now :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 13