1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

Looked high and low for it yesterday  at Telford I just had to see it in the flesh as it were, but I could not find it anywhere, then someone told me it had won the competition, I was made up it is such a worthy winner, well done

Cheers

Dennis

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Well deserved Peter - she's a beauty.

For those who didn't get to Telford I hope you won't mind me posting some rubbish shots I grabbed with my 'phone through the admiring crowd:

38307803596_25f104ff18_c.jpg

24491662748_0f362f777e_c.jpg

Pride of place, just where she (and your skills) belong :)

I've just noticed the "IPMS Czech Republic, Allied Aircraft - Second Place" placard.  Blimey; the winner must have been quite some model…

A couple more "rubbish shots grabbed with an iPhone" (or gratuitous photos of someone else's model just to wallow in its exquisiosity, as I prefer to put it):

37671725264_911420545f_b.jpg

37671727444_aaf079be78_b.jpg

[Note to readers for whom English is not their first language: "exquisiosity" is not a real word.]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

thank you all again, I know I keep saying this but I still can't believe it

I got back home safely this afternoon, after a nervous trip back - not for the squeamish, but this is how i got the Spitfire there & back..

Clipboard02_zps9s8g51gg.jpg

on the back seat of my car, and in fact it spent Sunday night there in the cold - I felt a bit bad :)

I met so many wonderful people and have been talking models for 48hrs - there really isn't a better way to interact with the hobby - and thanks again to everyone who stopped by to congratulate me, it was a pleasure meeting you and I have some lifetime memories of these few days

I was quite overwhelmed by the whole experience, and now I am home I sit and look at the awards in awe - it won:

Best in Show, Senior National Champion, The IPMS Canada Trophy, The Aviation Hobby Shop Trophy, The Airbrush Heaven Trophy (with a lovely spray booth :), The Edgar Brooks Spitfire Trophy and despite what the label says the Czech IPMS Best Allied Aircraft - at least I think it did because the trophy was by the model when I took it all away - it's the glass one seen in some of the pics

..even writing that all down has me shaking my head..

dumbstruck..

I want to thank everyone who congratulated me and shared the 18 month journey to what will be the pinnacle of my modelling life, and in particular those who came with advice, clarified or provided references and helped me - I see this as a team win, not my win

thank you to you all

Peter

Edited by airscale
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, airscale said:

I see this as a team win, not my win

Hmm. My normal expectation of contribution to a team is more than sitting around open-mouthed staring at my screen.

I really do think you're going to have to take at least 99.9999999% of the credit! (the remainder being for the assumed positive effect of us mortals contributing humour, wonder and a dash of envy).

Kirk

PS/ You missed a bit of paint on the tyre contact patches.

Edited by Kirk
Smart-ar** postscript.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I went all the way to Telford walked around what I thought was everything to see and STILL managed to miss this. <insert choice rude word here>

Those awards are all well deserved

Not only did we not get to see the Spitfire but we nipped over to Ironbridge as I has ever been there and the bridge is covered in scaffolding!

I didn't even buy anything at the show!

I feel extremely privalidged to have watched this build bit by bit. To think it is awarded the best model in the world (for that is what it is,  really)  should have been no surprise, but, it is truly wonderful to see a britmodeller wip receive the ultimate accolade.  

Edited by andy wood
Bad spelling or stupid predictive text. Take your pick!
  • Like 3

You deserve all the awards and plaudits bestowed on you and your beautiful Spitfire.

Thank you once again for the memorable journey that was your WIP, it's become a gospel in my bookmarked references.

Good luck with your Firefly and even if it's only half as good as the Spitfire, it'll still be brilliant.

Peter,

I had NO DOUBT IN MY MIND as to the outcome of this contest.  It was just a feeling and not knocking the talents of so many other dedicated hobbyists.   Being at such an event is a win.  Taking home trophies is a bonus for which in your case, is very well deserved!

Well done and congratulations!

PS>  The Czech award is no surprise either as she was based on an HpH core is she not?  A nod perhaps to that which lies beneath the skin?!

PR

• Like 1

As the others have said Peter, well deserved for what I can only describe as a sublime piece of work. Literally off the scale (pun intended). A real joy to see first hand. PS love the little oil tray beneath the model, lovely touch. Myself and a guy taking a photograph of the build noticed it at the same time and laughed aloud in awe. Don't mind if I nick plagiarise copy erm seek inspiration to replicate sometime (the oil tray of course, not the model, which for me would be like trying to build a 1:1 scale DNA double helix from matchsticks, impossible!). The source for my inspiration will be duly credited. 

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

Once again let me say what a pleasure it was to meet you and your family at the Airscale booth, to talk to you about the model, and for the chance to see this great work of the modeller's art in person. As I thought I would, seeing the Spitfire with my own eyes was an even more impressive experience than seeing it in close-up via the build photos here. Don't get me wrong folks; the online images are a real blessing, no question, but being able to take it in as a complete work, with several follow-up visits, allowed those of us lucky enough to get to Telford and see it as it was meant to be seen. Thanks again for sharing the journey with us.

• Like 2

Congratulations Peter, very well done on your win. Nice to see my prediction made in post 1243 come true. It was lovely to see your model in person.

Here are my pictures taken before the judging (I took more pictures of your model than I did in the rest of the show combined):

P1150469_zps5nccwfkb.jpg

P1150470_zpsi09fhhsu.jpg

P1150471_zpsjy4ddtd3.jpg

P1150472_zpsj54finag.jpg

P1150473_zpsok1wmlv5.jpg

P1150474_zpsc4bgjg9y.jpg

P1150476_zpspljosbsq.jpg

P1150477_zpshyprhvc0.jpg

P1150478_zpscfufjwyd.jpg

P1150479_zps0fypltci.jpg

Absolutely incredible looking work.

Here is the photo I took after the judging and your win:

P1150480_zpsvbrhotxg.jpg

I did try to confer my congratulations in person but you weren't on your stand on those occasions. Maybe I can do it in person next year.

Very best regards,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath
photo links updated
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2