1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

I'm simply gobsmacked by this thread. I really can't say anything which matches my awe and admiration for this build apart from saying this doesn't look 1/18 scale, it's so damn good it looks 1/1. My hats well and truly off to you.

Hi all,

So after 18 months she is finished...

Spitfire MkXIV Race #80 Tinnerman Air Race 1949 flown to third position by Flt Lt James McArthur RCAF..

WIP1609_zpsebe2mex2.jpg

WIP1619_zpswgza2nkq.jpg

WIP1606_zps3pr5eh9p.jpg

WIP1620_zpsppblosjz.jpg

WIP1601_zpsi1phr75d.jpg

WIP1607_zps7cekjvdj.jpg

WIP1623_zpspyhqumwg.jpg

WIP1617_zpskhwdtwkg.jpg

WIP1608_zpsiq2cgdzy.jpg

WIP1603_zpshuhp3pfx.jpg#

WIP1612_zpsae5hsqha.jpg

WIP1618_zpsixc41nfa.jpg

WIP1622_zpsk32gzk8u.jpg

WIP1605_zpsafvjej6o.jpg

WIP1610_zpsauhci6mu.jpg

Thanks for all the support and contributions to my thread on the build - I started it in tribute to Edgar Brooks - Mr Spitfire, and a small part of me like to think he would like what he sees. I must say it has been a really enjoyable build, a few dodgy moments, but with the help of the Monforton book it is like building from a kit, you just have drawings not parts

Not sure what comes next, but if you want to see this one then it will be on the competition table at Telford this year :)

tahnks again all & back soon

Peter

• Like 45
  • Thanks 8

Congratulations Peter!

It has indeed been a privilege watching this adventure unfold.  You've scored a PERFECT TEN in my book!  Grand Master Champion!  Thank you so very much for sharing your vision and talent with us.  You have transformed the way I see model building into a whole new expression of creative fine-scale aviation art.

All the best at Telford!  I wish I could be there.

Thank you and God Bless!

Pastor Rich Faulkner

Christ Cornerstone Church

Ok Peter, the game's up. Those pictures were taken at Duxford weren't they? I've just seen the reflection of John Romain in the fuselage panels waiting to take it up for a test flight.

Seriously though, your beautiful Spitfire is a true masterpiece of the model makers art.

It's been a real pleasure and a privilege to follow you on your journey and I would like to thank you not only for the technical skills that you've so generously shared along the way, but also for the inspiration to try things that are out of my comfort zone.

Good luck if you're going to enter it at the Nationals, there couldn't be a more deserving winner.

Stunning Peter, nothing short of wonderful. I was late to this build, thinking the big scale wouldn't be me, how silly was I. It has been a visual feast as well as a remarkable education of things Spitfire. I'm sure too the Edgar would have been chuffed to bits & as impressed as the rest of us. Thanks for sharing the journey.

Steve.