1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

On 8/13/2017 at 1:38 PM, Kirk said:

Had me convinced for ages. Just a bit of upmarket Photo-shoppery really.

And I thought I was bidding on a real model. Pfff!

Excellent, that's one competitor out of the bidding war, then! ;)

• Like 1

evening folks :)

things have slowed down a bit as we get into the final furlong - I keep telling myself to not rush and take as much care with the remaining assembly as I have up to now. It's easy to fall into the trap of bolting all the final bits on and calling it done...

actually it is getting quite hard to handle, it's quite big and without all the protective stuff on it I need to be very careful not to ding it on things as a dent in the metal means a new panel.. it also means a lot of planning so I can minimise handling, so for example I want all the underside done so I can add the canopy & windshield last and most likely the rudder and elevators at the very end as I still need to build these..

there is also not much to show in terms of building, for example the radiators were added - it took me two goes until I was happy with how they faired into the wing and the big curved mounting bracket each side of them..

WIP1537_zpsblhactud.jpg

WIP1538_zpsdqrmyrer.jpg

..all the gubbins can clearly be seen inside them and is a little detail I like :)

WIP1539_zps0tqibam9.jpg

..and from the front - the panel right in front of the rad is just dry fitted for the photo, all the panels here need to go on after the gear is added..

WIP1540_zpswhpkdhul.jpg

the chin intake was also added - I was reassured by reference pics that this is quite a rough structure in a lot of cases, with big gaps and dents so I built it just like that :coolio:

WIP1542_zpsuuterzlh.jpg

..and the underside is coming together..

WIP1541_zpsxab4wakd.jpg

WIP1543_zpsf3ypw5ru.jpg

have been working on adding the ailerons and here it is sat on the tinted mirror base I thought might suit it better...

WIP1544_zpsqcwkajrz.jpg

lots of bits to go, but it really is getting near the end now :)

On 18/08/2017 at 6:29 PM, Nigel Heath said:

Absolutely stunning. Very much looking forward to seeing this at Telford, will it be going in the competition?

Hi Nigel - it sure is - my first ever - Class 18 I think, looking forward to it so I hope peeps drop by my stand to say hello & wish me luck :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 22

2 hours ago, airscale said:

things have slowed down a bit as we get into the final furlong - I keep telling myself to not rush and take as much care with the remaining assembly as I have up to now. It's easy to fall into the trap of bolting all the final bits on and calling it done...

Don't go rushing on our account- we are enjoying each considered & precise step forward.  Steady as she goes.  Beautiful & inspiring workmanship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, airscale said:
On 18/08/2017 at 6:29 PM, Nigel Heath said:

Absolutely stunning. Very much looking forward to seeing this at Telford, will it be going in the competition?

Hi Nigel - it sure is - my first ever - Class 18 I think, looking forward to it so I hope peeps drop by my stand to say hello & wish me luck :)

I honestly think that it's a waste of time for anyone else to enter. This one's a winner all the way.

Beautiful, beautiful modelling Peter. I can't wait for the final reveal.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, airscale said:

...and is a little detail I like

Me too. Along with all the other 'little details'. 

She really is looking stunning Peter, simply stunning.

• Like 1

Okay, this may be a dumb question, but do you plan on weathering the model when you're done? I'm wondering if you feel there is any need for adding a wash to the panel lines and rivets, or does it meet your satisfaction just as it is?

I'm very keen to see this model in Telford. I hope you won't mind if I do a 'selfie' photo with it... :smile:

• Like 2

The underside just gets better and better. Finding it hard to tell from the real thing now! It's only the missing details like the slipper tank fittings that give the game away.

Once you've added all the final detailing it is going to look stunning on the mirrored base.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2017 at 3:33 PM, Steve in Ottawa said:

Okay, this may be a dumb question, but do you plan on weathering the model when you're done? I'm wondering if you feel there is any need for adding a wash to the panel lines and rivets, or does it meet your satisfaction just as it is?

I'm very keen to see this model in Telford. I hope you won't mind if I do a 'selfie' photo with it... :smile:

Hi Steve - it would be my pleasure to meet up with you at Telford - a Canadian Spitfire fan with a Canadian Spit just has to happen :)

In terms of weathering, I have been playing around and it is proving quite tricky to get it right - I like the depth it gives, but it makes the metalwork pretty blotchy... will keep at it..

On 27/08/2017 at 8:15 PM, dave665 said:

The underside just gets better and better. Finding it hard to tell from the real thing now! It's only the missing details like the slipper tank fittings that give the game away.

Once you've added all the final detailing it is going to look stunning on the mirrored base.

Funny you should say that Dave, those are just about to be added :)

... it's all about the little bits at the moment...

I added the castellated nuts (with split pins :)), and the valves with yellow tips to finish off the wheels...

WIP1554_zpsix90zvxj.jpg

sprayed the very bottom brass part of the pitot with alclad, I left the nose brass, not sure if thats right, I will have to check..

WIP1552_zpsfbpeg2ix.jpg

..painted the tailwheel strut, and made the Slipper tank hooks that go under the mid-section..

WIP1546_zpsjcgwiixp.jpg

WIP1547_zpsv7vrrnpd.jpg

..and fitted the hooks..

WIP1553_zpsyo7s4foh.jpg

..also made the tailwheel doors, and though not pictured, the actuating strut assembly..

WIP1549_zpsgaqwehpr.jpg

WIP1548_zpstwouar33.jpg

..dry fitted into place..

WIP1550_zpstq9eed6w.jpg

WIP1551_zpsub3rwq5n.jpg

..next up will be brake lines to finish the gear, then flip it over for the fuel pipe by the seat and the rollover strut...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 18

3 hours ago, airscale said:

Hi Steve - it would be my pleasure to meet up with you at Telford - a Canadian Spitfire fan with a Canadian Spit just has to happen :)

In terms of weathering, I have been playing around and it is proving quite tricky to get it right - I like the depth it gives, but it makes the metalwork pretty blotchy... will keep at it..

TTFN

Peter

I'm not sure if we in the Colonies fully understand the custom as is still stands in the UK, but I believe that an offer of something that resembles this beverage is appropriate in these situations:

the_british_beer_and_pub_association_is_

I'd be pleased as punch if you have time for a pint during Telford. First round is on me!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 29/08/2017 at 4:15 AM, Steve in Ottawa said:

the_british_beer_and_pub_association_is_

I'd be pleased as punch if you have time for a pint during Telford. First round is on me!

I'd send that pint back as it's a bit light - less froth, more beer :drink:

I agree that when finished this miniature, (it's so much more than a model) will sweep away all before it.

I'm guessing it tips the scales somewhat too!

Trevor

• Like 1