1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

I just don't know what to say anymore. Your work is absolutely stunning, and I really admire your tenacity in tackling a job multiple times until it meets the incredibly high standards you have set for this project. You are a living example of "Good Enough -- Isn't!" 

When the Spit is finished, will you take a breather, or jump right back to the Tigercat?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

When the Spit is finished, will you take a breather, or jump right back to the Tigercat?

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill - interesting question :)

I feel the pressure to go back to the 'Cat as I have a lot invested in it, but not sure if I will straight away - afterall I should build what I want right?

I won't have a breather, I will just move onto a new project but I don't know what yet - I do have some criteria though

• 1/18 scale
  • Prop 1930 - 1960
  • Natural Metal finish
  • Single engine
  • Well documented / plans etc

I have been spoilt with the Monforton book on the Spit as every component is drawn in glorious detail, if I can find anything similar it will really help, though not sure I want something as common as a P51 for example

happy to take suggestions :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 4

Your Spitfire continues to delight and amaze and I'll be sad when the journey ends.

What about the future? Working within your selection criteria, how about one of these:

Hawker Hart,

Hawkers Fury,

Percival Prentice,

Hughes H1,

Gloster Gauntlet,

Supermarine Spiteful / Seafang

All would look stunning given the Airscale treatment.

• Like 2

Nimrod (that's the Hawker inter-war fighter, not the maritime Comet).  There's even a real one around for you to photograph to your heart's content.

• Like 3

Hi Peter,

I get what you're saying on the Cat and agree with you.  We perform best when our heart is on fire for a topic and our creative juices are at their peak.  I look forward to the day that you return to working on the Firecat but know that it will be worth the wait!

I would be looking for a new challenge.  You've NAILED the metal work and touched on a new medium that (I think) begs to be explored.  Fabric.  Given that, I would suggest the prototype HAWKER HURRICANE.  The other challenge I would offer for you would be another iconic aircraft.  TIGER MOTH.  That would give a real challenge of metal and fabric finishes.  Care for a touch of American?  How about a STEARMAN or something from the other end of the scale from Vietnam Era like the O-1 BIRDDOG?  (I believe the Canadian Army operated them in an overall NMF)

Them's my two cents!

PR

Edited by Pastor Rich
To err is human. Proof readers untie!
  • Like 1

evening chaps and thank you :)

interesting suggestions, thank you - I have a bit of time to decide so will give it some thought

a slight change of pace now, I have finished the canopy though not futured it yet so it is safely put away - it was time to turn over and start finishing up the U/C..

first up is this wierdly shaped bellcrank and the arm it attaches to at the top of the leg (thanks for the pic Tony :))

WIP1440_zpsd8db2rjb.jpg

I started out by making the central spigot from tube as the basis, with a few watch cogs for the gears - the shapes themselves were taken from plans and cut from sheet brass (this turned out a bit of a mistake as will be seen in a minute..)..

WIP1441_zpsjjueklj1.jpg

..the sheet parts were sheathed in thick card so I could shape the 'I' section profile..

WIP1442_zpsp4bo7mix.jpg

..and some time later they were pretty much complete...

WIP1443_zps66akogtq.jpg

..the same was done for the arms at the tops of the legs - plus on these, the bearing where the contraptions meet each other was made from thick brass plate..

WIP1444_zpsr4yb7osy.jpg

..the mistake was forgetting the top wing skin on the model is not scale as it has big brass strengthening plates in it so those complicated bearings needed the bottom arms removing to fit in the wheel well..

I added other details like the uplocks and bits & bobs and these are pretty much ready for paint before I add the doors..

WIP1445_zps9kvgywzq.jpg

WIP1446_zpsrhsvxifc.jpg

WIP1447_zpsji3a3prl.jpg

..when they are in place and the skin is added in this area, the loss of the upper arms shouldn't really be seen so not noticable (apart from me telling you :))

paint next & back soon..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 18

Here's a stray thought for you...

The next one. On trestles, on the production line.

That way your options are (almost) wider for choice.

(Although some a/c were painted in sections before assembly).

You could also then leave panels off to show interior details.

• Like 3

Hi folks :)

little more progress to report, but some quite satisfying work..

I added steel wire to the U/C doors to mount them to the legs via a small bracket..

WIP1449_zpszcuwlmki.jpg

..I then added some tiny tube brackets and carefully stuck these on as it was all dry fitted together to ensure alignment..

WIP1450_zpsdbaxv26s.jpg

the wires were then cut down to size and the doors are a slide fit into the brackets so they can be tweaked at final assembly..

WIP1451_zps71w69rf4.jpg

..then both legs were primed and painted in alclad..

WIP1452_zpsjwkdvn4p.jpg

WIP1453_zpsg0sxgl7h.jpg

..and this is sort of what they look like on the airframe..

WIP1454_zpsrpuouyin.jpg

..and in the wheel well - these need more detail, but i don't think it's too noticeable that those upper arms are only half arms..

WIP1455_zpsg4eptxev.jpg

see you soon

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale
  • Like 16

Peter, you wouldn't know about the undercarriage arms being short, your amazing work all around them will astound anyone lucky enough to view it.

Shamr you had to paint the undercarriage, as they looked stunning in natural brass. I'm no spitfire expert, but it looks just like the real thing to me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cngaero said:

Peter, if this thing doesn't start up when it's finished, I'll be amazed.

Yes, we need a 1/18th trolley Acc!

The legs look great.

• Like 2

So realistic, I almost want to ask to what pressure did you fill the tyres?

As for the half upper arms?  Not noticeable to all but a few boffins who will be too busy counting your rivets anyway!  : )

A masterpiece and work of modern art!!

PR

• Like 2

I never quite know whether to gasp or weep when I view the latest updates.

The only analogy that I can come up with is it is like a high jumper watching someone leap over the pole vault bar without using a pole.

Burn the witch I say... :) (then send me all his models).

Kirk

• Like 2

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

Hello Peter...

Just caught up from your canopy thingy... But now reading it and seeing how you surgically recovered I was not in the least worried .. I knew you'd make it perfect....GEEZ! IT'S AMAZING work indeed.

Peter I really admire your work and it is INSPIRING. lifts ones heart to see such high standards and beautiful build.

:wow:

:mike:

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

Edit: copied from the other huge forum  as it's true for here too. Just caught up Peter.

HOUSTON:clap:

• Like 1

evening folks :)

bit of a Spitfire hiatus for a few weeks as I have been busying myself building a new man-cave..

I figured before I start painting the Spit I need more room, so this is it so far...

WIP1456_zpsaemaw9oh.jpg

back soon hopefully :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 9