1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

Peter...

OUTSTANDING  work as always and done with precision and a lot of hard work.

you never fail to AMAZE ME with solutions and SUPERB workmanship. 

:yikes::clap:

Edited by HOUSTON
  • Like 1

Nice result on the canopy Peter.   Well done!

Out of interest did you try pulling a canopy with the protective film still on one side of the PETG sheet? Seems you can do this, pulling the sheet so the film is sandwiched against the mould. Apparently the film peels off once cool and can help with the finish of the canopy. I'm guessing you heat the sheet on the opposite side to the film as this would be the logical way to do it on your vacform machine. Heating the film side sounds like a really bad idea to me! Also don't ask me which protective film you remove if there is a difference between them.

Dave

• Like 1

ummm - I just screwed up again...

was trying to just change the shape slightly to pinch in the back end of the canopy by using hot water..

guess what clumsy oaf managed to do this..

WIP1421_zpsaya6wpqp.jpg

..I am quite philosophical about this as opposed to being suicidal... I want to tweak the mould to make the shape better and start again..

Canopies are definately my nemesis...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 5

..I reworked the mould to tighten the rear a bit, and the bulge at the back where the canopy has a dip to go under the rear fairing..

WIP1422_zpszmf5ryog.jpg

about 12 pulls and much swearing later I have a good copy - it will be better overall - better shape, it fits better and generally I find when I screw something up it turns out better when I remake it :)

WIP1423_zpswffcmfik.jpg

TTFN
Peter

• Like 16

Advantage Peter!  Congrats on the save!!

Question:  What temperature are you finding success at?  I've got a canopy to look forward to as well...

Brilliant canopy, simply brilliant!

• Like 1

Sometimes fixing "errors" can lead to a better result in the end, however much it p*sses you off at the time.

Now put it somewhere safe, protected, wrapped in gossamer, with armed guards...

• Like 4

Peter did you drop the canopy in your cup of tea?

Have to say that replacement looks even better. Nice save! Looks like you're getting the hang of vacforming.

@Pastor Rich as Peter has demonstrated PETG softens at 90°C (194°F). So for vacforming you just need the sheet to be a bit warmer (up to 260°F). But that is not easy to judge when your heating element can be 600°F or above.

Dave

Edited by dave665
  • Like 1

thanks chaps :)

last post for today..

I am soooo happy with the new canopy :) it is much better than the first, so it is fate I forked it up..

a minor detail is that the front frame where it meets the windshield is actually really thin and it is the perspex fastened to a frame on the inside that can be seen with the fasteners going through the clear hood - you can see it here on TZ138 as she is now - note the thin front edge and the black backed inner frame..

WIP1425_zpssktsgsxr.jpg

..I tried and over did this feature on the first canopy - over scale & too wide & I wasn't really happy but I was too fatigued with bloody canopies to put up a fight...

WIP1424_zps7buulvsn.jpg

..so in re-doing it I learned some new tricks and too make it thinner, including drilling the holes in the metal part first, and using these to set out where the holes in the canopy..

WIP1426_zpsnrpqz3mb.jpg

..a nervous time drilling the holes... and they can't just be sanded flush so some careful clean up too..

WIP1427_zpsufhpp1b9.jpg

..I also used smaller rivets - each having to be made to fit, cut to length and have the domed tops flattened - quite a boring & finicky task - but I think worth it..

WIP1429_zpsbjh8aepn.jpg

WIP1428_zpssmychbzx.jpg

WIP1430_zpsfnnc4jm0.jpg

..the rear fairing is ready for detailing, but that is tomorrows job :)

TTFN & thanks for sticking through it :)

Peter

• Like 11

evening ladies :)

canopy is pretty much built thank goodness.. had a horrible moment today when I got something nasty that dissolved a nice fingerprint into it (debonder or contact glue thinners I think) but managed to pretty much sand and polish it out..

started with the framing, but didn't take many WIP pics such was the concentration in not messing it up..

pretty much all the assembly is done, just needs painting..

WIP1431_zps6m0xftxb.jpg

WIP1432_zpsrwphqmu4.jpg

WIP1433_zpsbupggsce.jpg

WIP1434_zps7imwqmti.jpg

added some internal details too..

WIP1435_zpsegpgi2q4.jpg

..and finally I am nearly there :)

WIP1437_zpseidqosad.jpg

WIP1438_zpsev6t27hs.jpg

WIP1436_zpsirmmkyup.jpg

I am pretty relieved I have to say..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 19

Peter, your work with the windscreen and the canopy is exemplary. With all of the low back marks of Spitfire such as the XIV, XVI and XVIII, the main distinguishing feature is the bubble canopy and you've nailed it with this one.

Seeing the windscreen and canopy on your model has just brought it to life.

This is by far the best WIP I've had the privilege to follow.

• Like 2

Hmmm, let's see now...

Canopy framed and ready to detail for mounting to the fuselage.  Entry door complete.  Undercarriage complete.  Control surfaces completed.  Rotol props complete.  Radiators complete.  Pitot tube and small bits ready to assemble.  (Did you install an IFF lamp in the ventral fuselage?)  I think there is one there and I don't remember seeing it in the build.  I may go hunting!  : )

I dare say that you're REALLY CLOSE to being done with the Spit!  Some detailing here and there and then that's about it, isn't it?  Still planning on using the special decals you got in the beginning or going to paint them on?

Fitting all of this is coming together on the eve of Canada 150!

Take-off! 

Your comments about the fingerprint on the canopy made me laugh. When I was restoring the Rearwin Cloudster I used to joke that it was going to have a big gluey fingerprint on the canopy like to many Airfix models I had made!

Peter,

I went hunting and I found an earlier post I had made when you were working on the IFF lights in the wing tips.  Page 28 has a photo that I posted pointing out a lens assembly which is visible behind the line of the trailing edge of the wing root fairing on the ventral fuselage which looks like an IFF lamp to me.  (It is circled in RED).  It may be a vertical camera port but I tend to doubt it.  I think the same photo may suggest a faired over vertical camera port underneath the oblique camera windows.  (Again, on the belly just before the port circled in red).  This looked like a larger circular panel but it is very faint in the photo and I may be seeing things.  It is below and slightly forward of the line of the oblique camera windows so in about the right spot (maybe?)  Please correct me if I'm wrong guys as I don't know if the FR. XIXe was used for vertical photography.  (F-4 and F-5 Lightning are my specialties not Spits)

Happy Canada 150 Day to all and congratulations to the Lions on their second test win over the All Blacks.  Not an easy feat!

PR

Edited by Pastor Rich