1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

She'll be standing tall in no time Peter! Of course having the mains done mean you'll want to get the tail wheel next, right? (Just guessing on what is to come!) Sorry, I can't help it.

And, Yes! This is by far better than Netflix! (Although my middle son and I have schemed to watch the old VHS version of "Spaced Invaders"). They mangled the movie in the DVD version, thus the original VHS is hilarious!

"Let's flame these bozos, they're too stupid to live!"

Corporal Pez - "Spaced Invaders" 1990

• Like 1

evening folks - many thanks for your kind words :)

so, some Spitfire action...

yes, there has been some - lots of fiddly work and some frustrating moments...

..the target for tonight are torque links - two of them, they are the scissor link on the U/C leg that helps absorb landing shocks..

..I started by discarding the PE bits I had made as they were grossly overscale- with a printout of the part I re-made them from sheet brass and pucnhed out the holes...

WIP589_zpszh79kkjy.jpg

..once made, I needed to make the arms that encase the triangular parts - the real thing looks like a casting, but this would be a way to fake it..

I marked out the 8 sides I would need and drilled the holes for the hinge points at each end...

WIP590_zpsg5xux0gt.jpg

..and here is a sequence of shots showing how Imade 8 identical parts by making them together - first by pinning them through the holes, then by shaping them clamped in a vice...

..end result is 8 uniform parts..

WIP591_zps0wtx8fsv.jpg

..then started to assemble them using pins as helping hands and also geometric guidance.. the lower one needs to fit into the upper one at the hinge point - that was tricky to do..

WIP592_zps9mgyceyf.jpg

..and some similar fettling to get them square and even on the mounting lugs...

WIP593_zpsm2jq0npv.jpg

..you can't see it here, but I added thick CA to round the inside edges and make it more like a casting would be, and now one leg is done with the other on the way..

WIP594_zpsi80mls8c.jpg

WIP595_zpszlpvgt8u.jpg

..I also added the distinctive spindle part at the top of the leg - only one side of it or I won't be able to slide it onto the mount in the wing due to the forward rake of the leg - I can add the other half when it is fitted..

WIP596_zpspn5uisic.jpg

..and here it is push fit onto the mounting in the wing - you can see how angled it is...

WIP597_zpsvhidld4v.jpg

WIP598_zpslgairmvj.jpg

more soon :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 15

This isn't modelling anymore Peter. It's micro-engineering. I am in love with that stut. You make it seem so easy..... But it isn't. I can't even shape a bit of plastic right :P

• Like 2

evening folks :)

..have had a bit of a busy weekend so only a few little bits done..

..first the uplock fittings that go on the U/C legs - these are tiny and a very distinctive shape..

WIP599_zpsrxwhua4b.jpg

WIP600_zpsniikejjs.jpg

WIP601_zps2x56vzjg.jpg

..I also made some discs for the wheel hub where the brakes are and added some brass tube to them for a nice clean fit to the axles..

WIP602_zpskzxslq6o.jpg

..I shot some enamel black over all the parts..

WIP603_zpsi7tgotxf.jpg

..and then alclad - I hope enamel & alclad can co-exist together, one on top of the other?

WIP604_zpsfnrwa2zy.jpg

WIP605_zpsdrxurzlv.jpg

until next time..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 10

I hope enamel & alclad can co-exist together, one on top of the other?

They can, I have used Humbrol gloss black enamel as a base for Alclad "Chrome" without any problems. I think its best to lightly mist on the Alclad, flooding the enamel with Alclad is likely to invite disaster.

• Like 3

I'm really enjoying this adventure.

This is miniature engineering at its best.

Have you managed to source any miniature spark plugs and piston rings yet?????

Seriously though, this is stunning work and a real education.

• Like 1

Remarkable work. As per Nigel's comment about enamel and Alclad. Allow the enamel to cure, then lightly mist the Alclad. I also find the old recipe Humbrol enamels les likely to cause the Alclad to react.

• Like 1

thank you chaps and good evening :)

managed to spend the Bank Holiday at the bench, so a little more done... I noticed from the pics that the 3D print layers can be seen on some of the recesses of the wheel hub so these were dressed with thick mr surfacer... while they dried I made a start on the gear doors...

again the fabulous monforton plan helps me cheat really easily by scaling and copying...here the door gets transferred from printout to metal..

WIP606_zpsknysnmit.jpg

..soon had both outer skins done...

WIP608_zpsxuszsmoj.jpg

..the bottom of the doors are actually curved so after lining the lower inner areas with another part with raised rivets I made a curved former for each side from thick card..

WIP609_zpsyt6oy9fi.jpg

..the gear leg sits in a curved recess so I pondered and practiced how to make it - the top pic shows a test where the litho is bent in a folding tool to give neat edges to the curve and then it is impressed with a rod onto a foam pad..

..the lower pic is the real part having been pre-detailed with raised and recessed rivets ready to have the curved recess formed...

WIP610_zps7vusg7xb.jpg

..the part was then backed with plastic and the depth skinned with litho...

WIP611_zpse74bcbjf.jpg

..the bottom edge needs finishing, but you get the idea...

WIP612_zpsh20w1eym.jpg

..the leg sits in channels on the upper half so that is a job for tomorrow...

WIP613_zpsjubyej8t.jpg

..the curve of the door may be seen here along with the door relative to the leg & wheel...

WIP614_zpsxfkynk6y.jpg

..and a dry fit to give me some encouragement it all fits...

WIP615_zpsuyemvfmq.jpg

WIP616_zpsvuwaxnjt.jpg

..hopefully soon I will get the airframe sat on it's wheels :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 16

Peter,

Do you have any idea how much the final cost of a build such as this is in the end? Thinking materials costs. Any ballpark figure?

High fives from me on an excellent realisation of the u/c doors!

PR

• Like 1

Really great work once again Peter. I love how you make every tiny part a masterpiece. Thanks for the wonderful instructions on the U/C doors. Tutorials like those really help me on my build :)

• Like 1

evening folks :)

Peter,

Do you have any idea how much the final cost of a build such as this is in the end? Thinking materials costs. Any ballpark figure?

High fives from me on an excellent realisation of the u/c doors!

PR

thanks PR - it's hard to say, but the kit itself would have been 450 euros and then adding in reference, parts, tools, adhesives, metal sheet & stock, resins, rubbers, 3D software, printing. etching etc I would say another £400 to £500...

..it keeps me out if trouble so to me it's money well spent :)

Really great work once again Peter. I love how you make every tiny part a masterpiece. Thanks for the wonderful instructions on the U/C doors. Tutorials like those really help me on my build :)

Thanks TGA - you have taken a big, brave step with your Victor and I have been following closely - another convert to the dark side is always welcome in my book :) you will enjoy yourself and I can tell you with 100% confidence that no matter how hard it is, or how far you get, you will never feel more pride in your work than making something from nothing, and will never regret a minute of it..

..today I only have a little done and I didn't take any pictures on the way, but I did finish one of the U/C doors by adding the channel sections to the top half and the mounting points where they attatch to the leg...

WIP618_zpssy1d1sx4.jpg

WIP619_zpsl7oox0om.jpg

WIP620_zpsqfm5z21o.jpg

..on the outside skin I used some tiny 1mm screws Uilleann sent me to get the fixings right - four can be seen here...

WIP624_zpsrvxrbz7z.jpg

..and here are mine..

WIP623_zpstgmsftn0.jpg

..and this is how the leg sits in the channel and where the mounting points will connect to the straps that hold them..

WIP621_zpsi3aa7xjb.jpg

WIP622_zpss1dxsfae.jpg

..the other door is not far behind, then I will finish the wheels and get the whole thing stood up on it's gear..

thats it for now

TTFN
Peter

• Like 14

When you intersperse photos of actual aeroplanes with ones of your model would you mind labelling them more clearly to avoid confusion ! Your work is inspirational and it's a joy to watch your step by step progress. Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 3

Victor?! A Victor is in the making too?!!

Thanks for the head's up on TGA's project as I dug on this a little and found the forum pages! That's four builds that I'm following now: 1:18 Firecat, 1:18 Spit, 1:32 Shack and now a big Victor!

HUZZAH!!!

Thanks, Peter for the view on materials costs. I've found that I'm wanting for a vac-u-form machine (for which I have your plans), learning CAD and a 3D printer (perhaps even scanner). Most importantly I need the time, something I just have none of lately.

Back to work for me...

Cheers!

PR

• Like 1