F-35 Discussion Thread. Please curb your political enthusiasm and play nicely.

Alan P

Thanks, I can see it on the night shot now. Didn't know where to look for it.

yeah I know, it's more of a scenery shot than a detail one. :)

That's moisture Alan, not a Halo! :winkgrin:

Interesting that it gives a clue to the aerodynamics around the diverterless inlets. The separate halo shows where the boundary layer airflow has been shed by the inlet design.

I'm probably in the minority but I like the look of th F-35, I certainly think it's better looking than the Eurofighter Typhoon!

Both would be vastly improved by repainting in Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey........

Trevor

• Like 6

I'm probably in the minority but I like the look of th F-35, I certainly think it's better looking than the Eurofighter Typhoon!

Minority or not, you are entirely correct in my opinion!
  • Like 1

ClKlrT8WQAAR1cP.jpg

UK F-35 test pilot has been granted Public Display Authority for the role demo. Bring on the air shows!

I think this is his car....

ClKlyr2WgAQAigM.jpg

Spotted at MCAS Beaufort, though many 617 personnel are there getting ready to stand up at Marham in 2018.

• Like 3

Have been told that the Voyagers have not yet been certified for AAR, so USAF tankers will be shepherding our F-35s over from Beaufort.

Have been told that the Voyagers have not yet been certified for AAR, so USAF tankers will be shepherding our F-35s over from Beaufort.

The Voyagers are now certified. The testing was AFAIK done around a week ago. The trials were completed a week early. https://theaviationist.com/2016/06/07/the-royal-air-force-completes-f-35b-tanker-trials-a-week-early/

Rob

We're still in the testing phase, an issue was found with the software and the issue was fixed. Hmmm...sounds like things are working the way they're supposed to in a large, complex system procurement. :)

• Like 1

First Israeli F-35I (F-35A) rolled out:

ClnxznvWIAAH9I6.jpg

Orders approved by US Administration for up to 75 F-35s. Currently 50 F-35As, of which 33 are firm orders. Israel says if it orders more than 50, the balance will be the UK/USMC STOVL F-35B.

• Like 1

I was hoping the Israelis would at least camouflage the top. I understand it the 'stealthiness of the finish isn't dependent of the colour (or is that wrong?)

Trevor