F-35 Discussion Thread. Please curb your political enthusiasm and play nicely.

Alan P

I was hoping the Israelis would at least camouflage the top. I understand it the 'stealthiness of the finish isn't dependent of the colour (or is that wrong?)

Trevor

I believe the paint has radar absorbent properties itself, so they'd have to develop the colours to work - different pigments will have different properties.

• Like 1

I believe Israel is planning on using some of their home-grown electronics in their aircraft.

True, hence the 'I' designation rather than 'A'. Don't know what they'll designate their STOVL models if they go for them! What's the Hebrew for "Harrier"?

Ok, silly question, why are the 'wavy lines' (obviously a technical term), a lighter grey than the rest of the airframe?

though the whole surface skin is made of radar absorbent material, the lighter areas are an additional special coating to hide the panel joins

• Like 1

though the whole surface skin is made of radar absorbent material, the lighter areas are an additional special coating to hide the panel joins

Thanks for the information, which leads to a further thought, would this then mean that these areas are inspection panels, needing to be recoated when opened?

Thanks for the information, which leads to a further thought, would this then mean that these areas are inspection panels, needing to be recoated when opened?

Some dude with a few tubes of Humbrol filler waiting after each flight maybe?

For absorbent materials they could use panels made out of my cave's carpet tiles: everything I drop on them seems to vanish

• Like 1

It's not a "coating" as such, it's a polymer resin which is part of the structure. It doesn't need to be constantly replaced, contrary to popular reports (the "mechanics have to cut through tape every time they want to access aircraft systems" one springs to mind).

• Like 1

She's on her way....

f35b_uk2.jpg

Edit: I may have spoken to soon... They didn't get away this evening. Hopefully tomorrow!

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 4

Ok, so another question (honestly, I'm not a 6 year old...but why, but why), is there a reason that the fin flash and roundels are monotone as opposed to the usual red/blue combination?

• Like 1

Ok, so another question (honestly, I'm not a 6 year old...but why, but why), is there a reason that the fin flash and roundels are monotone as opposed to the usual red/blue combination?

I believe it's because at present, only certain colours of paint are properly formulated so as to preserve the aircraft's stealth capabilities.

Believe it or not it was a Parliamentary decision to retain lo-vis markings. The same decision also said we would not have individual squadron markings either, so technically both RAF and RN aircraft will have identical markings. Sad but true.

It's not mission-critical to have low-visibility markings, but it is a policy decision. There are other F-35s that have had hi-vis applied (eg the first F-35C) but since part of the purpose of having F-35s is low observability, you get low-visibility markings.

Edited by Alan P

VMA-211 becomes the first USMC Harrier squadron to transition to the F-35B. It will be redesignated VMFA-211 as an F-35 unit from Friday 1 July.

Cm_EAQ2s_XIAI_Hb0.jpg

They also spelled "Lightning" wrong. Semper Fi!

Don't know if this has been shared before - it shows the DAS view from the cockpit. Complete 360deg visibility and imagery projected directly to the pilot's helmet

Combination of real and simulator footage.

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

They're here :)

typhoon%20lightning3%20aeroresource.jpg

via @Aeroresource ©twitter.com

Typhoon, meet Lightning

typhoon%20lightning2.jpg

© MOD via British Defence News

typhoon%20lightning.jpg

© MOD via British Defence News

Roll on RIAT and FIA 2016!

Al

• Like 7

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3666644/Lightning-flies-rainbow-UK-s-100m-stealth-F-35B-jets-roars-Britain-touching-RAF-base-ready-flown-new-617-Dambusters-Squadron.html#ixzz4D1K1yeXm

I would say we could make a drinking game out of the factual errors in the report, but it would be a very quick way to get drunk.

Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3666644/Lightning-flies-rainbow-UK-s-100m-stealth-F-35B-jets-roars-Britain-touching-RAF-base-ready-flown-new-617-Dambusters-Squadron.html#ixzz4D1K1yeXm

I would say we could make a drinking game out of the factual errors in the report, but it would be a very quick way to get drunk.

You're being rather charitable :)

• Like 1

Interesting that the Bubble Al Round Vis type Canopy is no longer in favour, Hark bark the the old days eh?

It's not an air superiority fighter, but even so if you look at the helmet imagery in the video above, you'll see why a bubble canopy is irrelevant.