1/144 - Armstrong Whitworth AW.660 Argosy by MikroMir - Srs 100/200 & RAF C.1/T.2 released

Homebee

The box art

- ref. 144-013 - Armstrong-Whitworth Argosy (srs 100)

Source: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1015687-mikromir-144-013-armstrong-whitworth-argosy

Arg11.jpg

- ref. 144-014 - Armstrong-Whitworth Argosy (srs 200)

Source: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1015689-mikromir-144-014-armstrong-whitworth-argosy

Arg1.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

I agree that these are a lot of parts for a 1/144 scale kit.  I'm sure that there are modellers on this board and elsewhere who will do an excellent job with them.  However, I'd like to raise the question as to whether any advantage would be gained by producing a simpler model, akin to the Minicraft series of airliners.  In particular

It would take some less time (and money) to create such a mould, but would this result in a significantly cheaper product bearing in mind all the other costs?  

And is the general opinion that sales would suffer significantly?  

I suspect the answer to the first question is that price would not come down all that much, but would appreciate a better-informed answer.  I also suspect that just as many Argosies would be sold.

Use what you want to build your model. I can't imagine the price would be that much less if the model only came with the absolute basics and no interior detail - and then others would complain that it's such a basic model why couldn't they have include this that or the other. 

If you really want a basic model buy the Welsh Models vac-form that's been around for 20 odd years but will still cost you £20.

There really is no pleasing some people.

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
Fed up with complaining people
  • Like 1

Excuse me for breathing.  It is certainly true that you can't please every modeller with any single subject at any single level of detail, but that gives each producer a chance to aim his product at different sub-markets.  I'd quite like to buy an  Argosy in 1/144; it doesn't fit into my modelling themes but my wife rather likes the subject.  However, I am less likely to buy it when it offers a significant number of downright fiddly bits, whereas I would be more likely to buy a simpler one.

I'm somewhat bemused by the idea that a 20-year old Welsh Model kit could be considered as simpler.  Yes, I do make vacforms, yes I do make 1/144 subjects (and even smaller), yes I did buy MikroMir's Beverley.   Yes I do feel that querying the possibilities of an alternative approach isn't "complaining".  There are more acceptable approaches to modelling than just yours, Mr pinky coffeeboat.

15 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I agree that these are a lot of parts for a 1/144 scale kit.  I'm sure that there are modellers on this board and elsewhere who will do an excellent job with them.  However, I'd like to raise the question as to whether any advantage would be gained by producing a simpler model, akin to the Minicraft series of airliners.  In particular

It would take some less time (and money) to create such a mould, but would this result in a significantly cheaper product bearing in mind all the other costs?  

And is the general opinion that sales would suffer significantly?  

I suspect the answer to the first question is that price would not come down all that much, but would appreciate a better-informed answer.  I also suspect that just as many Argosies would be sold.

Simpler in what way? Just miss out the parts you don't want to add. It would then be quite simple, surely?

In some ways yes, but it rather depends upon the complexity of the sub-assemblies, particularly the undercarriage.  There's still the potential matter of paying extra for complexity.  It used to be said that each part on a more-traditional tooling cost £1000.  Clearly it isn't that high for current limited-run tooling, but it still must take time and money.  One of the more enjoyable kits I've made recently was the Minicraft C-54, which has far fewer parts than this Argosy.    To tell the full story, I converted it into a Carvair using the Fresin parts, and they weren't enjoyable, but I did buy another C-54.which is currently progressing.  

I assume there's going to be an RAF version too?  I only ask because unless my eyes deceive me I can't see the nose thimble on the sprues? Mind you, providing there are no major differences it'll be no problem to make one..

Ah, yes, quite obvious when you look.... There are CAD drawings on another thread somewhere too. Never mind, I'm quite partial to the one in Elan markings....The one at Coventry Air museum I assume?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keithjs said:

Ah, yes, quite obvious when you look.... There are CAD drawings on another thread somewhere too. Never mind, I'm quite partial to the one in Elan markings....The one at Coventry Air museum I assume?

Take your pick, one at East Midlands Aero Park & Midlands Air Museum at Coventry both ex-ELAN.

26 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The reg shown on the box art is G-BEOZ which is the one at East Midlands.

I would think this kit will be well served by decal manufacturers.

I hope so, lots of choices out there! Was hoping we'd get some for the Mach2 kit, but I've not seen or heard of any yet still... So I will go down the 1/144th route.

• Like 1

Source: http://sandmmodels.co.uk/news/

Coming Soon Armstrong-Whitworth Argosy BEA & ELAN/DHL

25th October 2016

Used widely by many cargo carriers worldwide as well as serving extensively with the British Military the Armstrong-Whitworth Argosy BEA and Armstrong- Whitworth Argosy ELAN/DHL kits will be coming soon.  Kits will be available to order shortly so please continue to check the S&M Models web site - http://sandmmodels.co.uk/

Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234994391-1144-scale-aw-argosy/&do=findComment&comment=2528373

DSC08562_500.jpgi.gif

DSC08563_500.jpgi.gif

DSC08559_500.jpgi.gif

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Any plans to release the RAF version? (Or can it be built from the S200 kit?)

They have no front door on the RAF versions so that needs filling and the rear end if different as they have a clam door, not a round one piece one.

27334179540_4f17bc5faf_b.jpgArgosy Walkaround by Radleigh Bushell, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just noticed this! 

I fondly remember the IPEC Argosys flying out of Essendon Airport when I was a young tacka. I might just have to get one of these just to make mock RR Dart noises as I build it and it starts to take shape! An extra set of decals would also come in handy for a DC-9 Freighter to park alongside it. 

Looks pretty cool I think... Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...