This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hey Guys,

I have been working on the hood locks the last few days.  I just thought I would show a failed attempt.

I have twelve hood locks to build.  Because I built the hoods to be opened and closed, I needed working hood locks.  I'm not so sure about the first attempt.

I first built an original and then cast the twelve sets of parts.  An unfortunate arrangement of parts in the mold...

pnRkqBhvj

Then it took forever to get everything separated and cleaned.

pnwcVLDtj

Once I got all that taken care of, it was time to put the parts together...

pnVIUgEWj

I drilled out the centers of the lock flanges to accept the wire for the lock.

pomHYLRzj

I think this is a fail because this is about as small as I can build with the styrene, but still looks way to big for the parts...

pnhUPBg4j

I really like the shape and how this turned out.  Just a bit to big for me tho.

pm3ZxdVUj

Plan-B will be an attempt to make the locks out of card.  I can cut very much smaller with less weight to the stock.  Also I can superglue the paper which turns the paper very stiff and rigid.

More attempts to come,  Later.............

I had to snigger at the unfortunate arrangements in the first photo, and I haven't a clue what a 'hood' is; don't you mean bonnet?

But seriously, the card could well give you the scale you want. Would styrene sheet and rod do something similar?

Nice job on the casting there rich, its coming along an absolute treat

Glynn 

Hey Timmas,

What the heck is a bonnet?  I know, the same as a hood.

I did use sheet and rod when I rendered the original to cast from.

podVXJe0j

The sheet is 0.4mm thick and the two sizes of rod are 1mm, and 0.8mm.  A matter of logistics, these are to the point where I can't hold them to finish, or get them any smaller with styrene.

Thanks Glynn,

The casting of these small parts went well.  Perhaps I can try to sand these down a bit to get to a better size.  I'm working on the scale problem, but also moving on to other things.

17 hours ago, RichO said:

I did use sheet and rod when I rendered the original to cast from.

The sheet is 0.4mm thick and the two sizes of rod are 1mm, and 0.8mm.  A matter of logistics, these are to the point where I can't hold them to finish, or get them any smaller with styrene.

Ah, I didn't realise/notice that (my brain isn't as young as it once was). Whatever solution you arrive at Rich, the result will no doubt be spot-on.