Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

Thanks Guys,

Now I have to make a decision about what I want the outside suspension parts to look like. I have found several different references and all have different looking parts.

The support collar and wishbone on the set up below, both have a very rounded over look to the casting.

w02002_2626446.jpg

The support collar and wishbone in this set up is nicely detailed. I'm guessing, a newer casting.

IMG_5625.JPG

A wire frame computer rendering shows a different look.

062.jpg

And even the official Russian MAZ 537g restoration manual shows two different types. I sorta like the one in the middle. It seems, not so crude a casting as the first photo and more detailed than the computer rendering.

This all the farther I got before needed to decide.

IMG_1562_zpsbsedegcp.jpg

I'll now try to build one of these designs and consider if I should cast the rest of them or build them all.

Be back later. Thanks

• Like 3

The MAZ project is going slow. I knew that it would tho. I have managed to work on the exterior suspension.

These parts are mounted directly to the frame around the axle pass through collars. All of this is part of the torsion system.

Once I got the shape figured out, a test placement, and cutting order, the rest is now a production line to build the remaining units.

Some of the parts...

IMG_1566_zpsdkiapp0e.jpg

IMG_1563_zps5ve2pxop.jpg

The placement...

IMG_1562_zpsbsedegcp.jpg

The shape is somewhat modified for the final install...IMG_1567_zpssrckyttx.jpg

and the rest of the details...

IMG_1569_zpsurrlpoyn.jpg

As a scratcher, I tend to find material wherever I can. I did not have any rod at just the correct DIA. so I used small pieces of coated electric wire to build the anchor bolts around the pass through collar. I then capped these with Meng plastic bolts at 1.0mm. All will be primered when the frame is built and one color.

This is where the build is at the moment. I'll be back when I get the other seven torsion units mounted.

Thanks All for looking.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

Of course as soon as I posted the last photos, I found my metal rods for the anchor bolts. I removed the red plastic coated wire and used the rod for all the anchor bots.

The Frame...

IMG_1594_zpsmsjzvl1h.jpg

The new anchor bolts...

IMG_1592_zps7bcnuhnw.jpg

IMG_1591_zps7xg2zigq.jpg

The front bumper...

IMG_1593_zps9rmzyexk.jpg

The Crawler build still dominates my work bench...for a while longer still. To get some relief from the crawler build I do work on the MAZ from time to time. It's still my secondary build at this time so thing are progressing slowly. I knew that it would be a slow build at first tho.

I'm getting ready to build and install the "H" arms for the suspension system. Until next time. Thanks All

• Like 3

Part of the problem Sarge is I can't see anything much smaller than this...even with the magnifier head set. It's hell getting old.

Steve, Thanks for the kind words. I continue to find better references, so I might make a change or two. At the moment I am getting ready to cast the "A" or "H" arms for the suspension. I'll have photos for you.

Hey All,

So I thought I would use the "A" arms that are in the photo below...

w02002_8628241.jpg

The heavy duty cast iron look of the forged "A" arms above, would be easier to try to reproduce than one of the more complex arrangement of parts that other rear suspension setups were using.

I cut out the parts and built the lower "A" arm...

IMG_1594_zpsh3h45tia.jpg

IMG_1595_zpsedeirlse.jpg

I next had to shape the styrene into what looked like the lower arms in the photos I had...

IMG_1603_zpsx2zxayv8.jpg

Once I got the shape I was after, I built half of the mold to make four of these...

IMG_1604_zps1o7rojbh.jpg

IMG_1609_zpsfph8ijp7.jpg

The four copies...

IMG_1610_zpsapmjyppx.jpg

The goal here was to make a one piece cast part that looked like the forged original...seam lines and all...

IMG_1615_zps0yreudxu.jpg

I now need to clean up the rest of the copies and get ready to install. I still have the star caps at the ends of the arms that need casting, about 36 of those altogether.

I'll be back in a while with the casting of the upper a-arms...later all.

P.S , I thought I would show some of the detail that is getting closer to being finished...

IMG_1606_zps3bvsfeuz.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Okay so now I'll have to get used to popcorn and vodka!

Very nice work on this one, Rich.

I too have used those pins as rivets in the past.

I'll have to try to remember to keep popping over to this

part of Britmodeller.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, It's been a while since I've worked on this. I'll resurrect this thread soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Big bottom MAZ 2

Hey All,

It has taken me some time to get back to this build. I have had my head up my Crawler for so long that I'm just recently waking up enough to get back to other things.

It's been quite a while since I've looked at this build. I did not like what I saw after not seeing this for so long. I wasn't able to give this build 100% attention at the time, and I could tell after checking it out.

I have also talked to a few of you PM style, and got leads on better materials. I looked at the products from "Scale Hardware", beautiful stuff, but very expensive, would work well where things are highly visible. I settled on the resin products from Russia, "Master Club". Nice consistent product, and Yari was easy to work with (after a little prodding). I got my order after just a few weeks.

After looking at the frame that I started months ago. I decided to start this build over. I was not very far along in the build, and I knew I could do a better job of it. I looked at the frame and after this amount of time I could notice things were not right.

In this photo you can see (I hope) that the frame has settled out of square and I feel that I did not use thick enough styrene on some parts.

IMG_1735_zps0dpjlouf.jpg

I also notice that the frame has bowed a bit...

IMG_1734_zps9vqh8ajt.jpg

Old frame on the right...new on the left

I have also replaced the pins with the resin rivets from Master Club. The pins were nice but hard to get ones with domed heads and not all are round.

IMG_1739_zpsttbfocra.jpg

IMG_1740_zpsx047drdy.jpg

IMG_1738_zpsuv62mom6.jpg

IMG_1737_zpsacmcdtym.jpg

Now that I can actually spend some time on this build, things will progress much faster and steadier. I will post again shortly with a recent update and get this thing back on the road as it were.

Be back in a bit, Thanks, Rich

• Like 7

Hey Guys,

I wasn't so far along that I couldn't start again. I was thinking that if the foundation is not square and true, that the entire build would be crooked. The old frame just was not working for

me. Perhaps if I had continued the build all would fall into place. However I spent about $150. with Yari and received a truck load of resin bolts, screws and rivets. I feel that the new build is much cleaner and straighter. I know it will pay off in the end.

Be back shortly, Thanks, Rich

• Like 3

Thanks Richard and Pete

And I really don't mind if I'm scratching also. Trial and error

The crawler build was always on my mind, so I just did not pay attention. Since then I have finished the crawler and this is now the main build. I'm also taking a much more relaxed approach to this and the Dio build.

I also plan to do some more varied casting on this build, try to stretch my resin skills a bit more. AND, I'm really not sure on how to approach the tires. All fun stuff for later on.

I have my fist complex casting coming right up with the redo of the suspension system....that just reminds me...has anyone notice the the Russians have locked up their websites for model references? I have more than a few Russian sites bookmarked for this build and as of last week I am locked out of them all, and I think they are asking me to register on their site. So now I have lost half my references. I'm sure the rumors are true, I can't access the Russian sites until I vote for the Donald (somebody please shoot me).

I've rambled on enough for now, back to work, Rich

• Like 2

Hey All,

Thanks for looking at this. I am now to the point where I was before I started over. Not to bad of a delay considering how much better this version looks.

I have built the cross frame braces that go over the axles.  The parts...18 parts per side brace...

IMG_1746_zps8sv5jyj5.jpg

I will mount these in their location, however I will not put the cross brace in just yet. I will have a ton of stuff to place under the braces when I install the drive line.

IMG_1750_zpst4rfgu5h.jpg

IMG_1748_zpsp1kghyvs.jpg

At the moment it seems like the build is crawling along, but I know that's because I have done all this before.  But, I'm now at the suspension section and things get new again.  

IMG_1749_zpslpqdpypt.jpg

I'll be back with my ideas on the new suspension shortly.

Thanks All, Rich

• Like 7

I have the new components for the rear suspension worked out. This arrangement is much tighter and more to the photos above in earlier posts.  I did use the two "A" arms from the last model, but I modified them to fit better with the new build.

I rebuilt the axle pass through collar. This is much closer to the production shape, and fits much better with the other components...

IMG_1761_zpszgkraauz.jpg

The major parts for the rear suspension...

IMG_1762_zpsncksriok.jpg

with the first version of these components, I built the version that was supplied with the paper kit by Model-Kom.  See below...

IMG_1764_zpsgwn92cbk.jpg

You can see how the mounting rings for the wheel axles, are just rings with no detail.  I rebuilt the mounting hub with the back ring detailed with the form curve that it has in the photos...

IMG_1768_zps13lyiw2b.jpg

Fit to the frame (somewhat)...

IMG_1769_zps844wqvk3.jpg

Now that I have these worked out, I will clean and primmer, then I can cast the four copies for the whole rear end. I need to cast eight of the axle pass through collars tho. 

I'll be back with the casting next time.  Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

Hello,

I'm always in awe when I see such scratchbuilding projects ... this one will be for sure in the top 5 of what I've seen !

I'm looking forward to seeing the next steps B) 

E

• Like 1