Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

Hey All,

So this is my first posting of a project in the Armour forum. Altho not an AFV build, it still hauls all you all around. So a good place I thought for a military truck build. I'm coming up from the Sci/Fi and real Space forum. If you have a minute check out my build, 1/72 Crawler. A still in progress build.

This is a project that came about as an issue I was having about not feeling as mentally sharp as in years past. I have heard that a person can do brain exercises by getting involved with complex problem solving.

Keeping that in mind I have decided to start my MAZ build to overlap my Crawler build. The crawler project still has a ways to go, but over all, I'm just about finished with that project. This will be my secondary build for a while, so not as much time spent on this build, for a bit just yet.

I wanted to build this truck project because I really like the big industrial design and feel, and also the scale of this large Russian beauty. I have several different model kits of this subject, so I will be building a conglomeration of what I have and what info I can find on this subject.

I have three kits that I will be combining the info from, to scratch build a big model of this big truck. I have a 1/35 plastic version from Trumpeter. I have a 1/25 card version from Model-Kom. And I have a 1/35 card version from E63.

The Trumpeter kit.

IMG_1483_zpsltccbmdq.jpg

IMG_1486_zpsu7kcm5en.jpg

The Trumpeter has the typical great Trumpeter detail to copy from, but really sucks on the design of the model it's self, with no engine and transmission, and just half a transfer case...etc. The list goes on, for the amount of money.

The Model-Kom kit.

d6be7525-2dcb-4dc9-b6f5-279e74796ad5_zps

IMG_1496_zpsxhohrav6.jpg

The model-Kom kit has great detail to use as a reference, but I'm not so crazy about the color scheme. I could paint it maybe, but I will hold on to it for another days build.

The E63 card kit.

copertinamaz-1448576815995.jpg

This is a download kit from Enrico, in Italy. This is a great super detailed kit. He has some really detailed models, some for free download.

A Russian Beauty

w02002_4080853.jpg

For a paint scheme I have chosen this beauty to try to copy. I like the original Russian green under the orange paint, and all the weathering. A real opportunity to get crazy with the paint job.

The MAZ 537 G build.

I took a few days from the crawler build because I had such a lather worked up about starting this project. I wanted to build the frame before I got back to the crawler, and I felt that getting the frame rails put together would be a nice stopping point.

I started with cutting out the frame rails.

IMG_1469_zpsdisibsia.jpg

To get thing straight and tight when I build, I sometimes use a set of magnets to hold things square.

IMG_1471_zpscmk6j12s.jpg

IMG_1448_zpsfnd276gh.jpg

frame rails.

IMG_1472_zpsvzbmp2kt.jpg

IMG_1469_zpsdisibsia.jpg

Once I have all the rails put together I trimmed up the ends and glued the rails together. I wanted to maintain the look of the real MAZ frame, which has round bends and open corners where the frame rails are joined..

w02002_3381149.jpg

IMG_1473_zpsk2iq4cap.jpg

IMG_1474_zpsqd5oli0c.jpg

And to build the front end I had to build a bumper. The parts

IMG_1476_zpsv5begeqr.jpg

IMG_1475_zpsypgmdnrz.jpg

IMG_1477_zpsdv0qhkfv.jpg

The front bumper installed.

IMG_1478_zps1csvrrn2.jpg

IMG_1479_zps0pcsgz2t.jpg

This is the frame that I built as of today.

IMG_1481_zpspdah8mgs.jpg

IMG_1480_zpsjmcmchfz.jpgIMG_1482_zpsdwuxztmp.jpg

So this is where I decided to stop for now. The frame feels strong and stable and ready to accept the drive train. I will next build the outside frame supports and start with suspension bracing.

Be back sometime soon, Rich

• Like 8

Thanks Guys for the nice comments. If any of you have any knowledge about the MAZ or any good ideas, please feel free to send them along.

I'll be posting the building of the internal frame bracing shortly.

Be back soon. Rich

Hey Guys,

Trojan Thunder (great name), I tend to try to make life a little easier on my self. I wanted to build the Maz with a certain amount of detail and the old eyes don't like small things any more. I thought a big Russian should have a big scale. This beast is at 1/20 scale.

IMG_1506_zps4mioraci.jpg

Thanks, Rich

• Like 3

Hey All,

A little more work on the Maz this week. I managed to build the three bottom frame braces (or stiffeners). Finding photos of unobstructed views of things at the bottom of the frame can get tough sometimes.

The Model-Kom kit and the E63 kit have different shaped frame braces. And the Trumpeter kit did not even address this issue. From what I could find online, what I chose is close enough to pass. If we have any rivet counters out there watching, this build is going to drive you nuts. Because I'm just building this like I would as if it was in my back yard. If it works, it works.

The parts.

IMG_1497_zps01ojud9j.jpg

These are the parts for one brace.

IMG_1501_zpsos8ux3l6.jpg

Assembly.

IMG_1502_zps3rlw7gyv.jpg

IMG_1503_zpsb47vppfe.jpg

IMG_1498_zpscr6jlmvl.jpg

In the photo above you can see that I use Dressmaker Pins for my rivets. I can get a small package of 1000 for less than a dollar.

The three braces.

IMG_1504_zpsafvvtv8k.jpg

IMG_1505_zps71luurpt.jpg

It looks like the braces are a nice fit.

I think the next thing on this build is the internal structure of the four axles shafts where they come throu the frame.

Thanks all for looking. Later

• Like 7

Hey Guys,

Just touching base with everyone. I have been spending days just cutting out parts for suspension.

IMG_1507_zpsebhn183f.jpg

IMG_1513_zpsvrjsooxn.jpg

Be back when I assemble these. Thanks All

• Like 4

Thanks Steve, I really need a break from that build from time to time. I have been thinking about this build for quite some time now. So in between several IP kits and the Crawler, I have started this build, slowly at first. I seem to have discovered that no matter what scratch build I do I run into mass amounts of components that have numbers of repetition to them. That's were I'm at with the Maz at this time. Just cutting parts for suspension.

I look forward to the adding the details and building this by hand. The repetition I can deal with... mostly.

Hey All,

I thought I would show how I have built the Tow Box. The Tow Box is the large anchor structure for the tow hook. I don't know if it's called a Tow Box, I just pulled that out of my as .

w02002_3037872.jpg

The parts were not to numerous, but a lot of detail in a small piece.

Parts for the tow hook...

IMG_1526_zpsmijkmzr1.jpg

Building the box...

IMG_1524_zpszctaflcs.jpg

IMG_1525_zpsau3udyy0.jpg

The anchor bolt for the tow hook goes all the way through the tow box and ends with a large nut to hold all secure. I first had to get all the parts aligned and measured.

IMG_1527_zpse2fjgc58.jpg

Then the construction of the Tow Bar... I used Evergreen rod and tubes to sculpt the anchor nut...

IMG_1528_zpsrldwngau.jpg

IMG_1529_zps6b0bo6t6.jpg

Then I had to sculpt the tow hook and detail all...

IMG_1530_zps9p2sny55.jpg

Next I added the details for the anchor plate at the end of the tow box...

IMG_1532_zpsgckdw0n7.jpg

and detailed the rest of the end.

IMG_1533_zpsaawxhbe2.jpg

The tow hook stayed in place and look good...

IMG_1531_zpsw3rss9iq.jpg

The tow box is finished and ready to be instaled...

IMG_1534_zpsvvbxctw7.jpg

IMG_1535_zpse2ukwyxd.jpg

This little part took about three days to build...once I figured out the dimensions all went smoothly, just slow.

Thanks all for looking I'l be back with more frame items, Rich

• Like 8

As an ex trucker & nut for anything with multiple driven axles, this thing is not doing my composure any good at all. :D Those forged IRS wish bones are a bit impressive. I'll be watching this build pretty keenly. :)

Steve.

Stevehnz,

I have been looking ahead to future parts to build. I may build one wish bone and then cast the rest. I'm not sure just yet. The entire IRS is a complex arrangement of parts.

that will be fun to try to replicate. I bet something this big would be a blast to drive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I have managed to get some small steps done on the Maz. I have built the cross members for the axles and installed the internal frame bracing, along with the permanent install of the tow box.

This is how I built the cross members for the axles.

IMG_1516_zpsdzsxwz9o.jpg

IMG_1517_zps9anl2rsn.jpg

IMG_1521_zpstnqqoyzq.jpg

Then the install.

IMG_1545_zps3lfkou7k.jpg

IMG_1546_zpsfmutypvh.jpg

IMG_1547_zpsbuawtxhl.jpg

Now that I have the internal bracing installed along with the axle cross members, I can now start with the exterior axle components. I do have more internal frame braces to install, however I would like to install the drive train first so bracing dose not interfere with that install.

I next need to perforate the frame with several openings for the axle passthrough. I'll show that next.

That's it for now. Be back later.

• Like 7

Hey All,

The Crawler build is keeping me very busy, but I did manage to cut the axle pass through's and install the pass through shields. Once I managed to draft the location of the openings, I had to figure out how to cut these. I should have cut these openings before I built the frame. Oops!

Once I got it all sorted, it was just a matter of drilling the holes.

IMG_1553_zpsvruinko7.jpg

IMG_1552_zpsrhpb9nbm.jpg

The shields are simple strips 3 mm wide and bent into place.

IMG_1556_zpsedicbcly.jpg

IMG_1555_zpspus3irxp.jpg

That's what I have managed to get done this week. Not much, but making progress.

Next, I'll continue with the suspension elements that get attached to the outside of the frame. I am finding several different representations of the suspension gear, over multiple references in my research. I guess I'm going to pick the set up that looks coolest to me and go with it. I just hope all fits together at the end.

Thanks, be back soon.

• Like 4

Really like what you are doing here Rich, looked at your crawler :wow: and see that you love scratch building as well, both jobs a just brilliant.

Regards

Richard