Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

41 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Rich,

Get well soon.

Thanks, Love you man,.........sorry, that was the drugs.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I have had one serious time trying to get my mojo back after the bout with the little girl and dealing with this cold.  Actually I'm past the flew now, but I have had to force myself to get to back to work, and also I was not enjoying my current state of affairs. 

I'm wanting to say that this is behind me, but I'm still having to make myself sit down and build, altho adding the details is starting to get thing going again, hopefully.

When I left off, I was building the cage and hoods for the fuel tanks. That build continues...

I had to start with the skeleton for the cage.  More with trimming the thin cage frame and adding the stiffening elements...

IMG_2648_zpsg5g02tql.jpg

Time to go 3D...

IMG_2649_zpsi72ut0mg.jpg

IMG_2650_zpsckxl7ct4.jpg

Once I got the cage together, it was time to add the details...

IMG_2651_zpsfpzqxjee.jpg

IMG_2652_zps53htz2kp.jpg

Test fit...

IMG_2653_zpsp1zdxiou.jpg

I now have to build the other side.

Be Back Sooner...

• Like 11

I'm feeling great lately and getting back to work.  Thanks everybody for your nice comments.

I managed to do more work in one day today, than any day in the past three weeks.

I got the fuel tank covers finished...

IMG_2654_zpsk1wuqfxt.jpg

IMG_2655_zpsk4q73czu.jpg

Starting the engine covers next...Thanks All.

• Like 12

Hey All,

The build of the Engine Covers continues.  I have reached a point were I needed to start building the cab.  The back wall of the cab supports the end of the cage for the covers.  

The build progress dose not look that impressive as far as how much was built, but the new elements are tricky, and getting everything to fit properly is an exercise in compromising. 

The state of the build to date.  The cage is sort of flimsy at this stage of the build.  I have realized how easy it is to get this out of square, so I try to introduce the body panels as soon as the cage is built to keep things together.

The build is as usual...The cage...

IMG_2656_zps2bsmpcvw.jpg

IMG_2657_zpsojukcgto.jpg

IMG_2659_zpsjh9yrssa.jpg

IMG_2660_zpshtoqkw9a.jpg

I got to this point and realized I haven't test fitted this yet...

IMG_2661_zpsekbkgvwm.jpg

Looks good so far...

IMG_2662_zpsq2pjl1ax.jpg

Be Back Later All........

• Like 11

Hey,

I've been spending the last couple of days making louvers for the engine covers.  18 in all for the top side vents.

I just thought you might like to know how I make mine.

flat geometry...

IMG_2663_zpsmjn3dpqi.jpg

Then the curling process...I start with the main body.  Here, I am using a round file for the bending.

IMG_2664_zpshxuchjda.jpg

Then I use the tip of the file to bend the ends of the geometry into a sort of bowl shape.

IMG_2665_zpsfnwghhkw.jpg

IMG_2666_zpsykl5prkw.jpg

IMG_2667_zps6pdovues.jpg

IMG_2668_zpsdpxj7l7c.jpg

IMG_2669_zpsh2rduugj.jpg

A little bit of clean up at the corners and.....

IMG_2670_zpsds6mtk5e.jpg

I'll be back when I get all this secured to the engine covers.

Thanks All..........

• Like 10

:hmmm:

Don't you just hate it ......

You spend all day in the workshop creating your latest sub - masterpiece. Your walk in with smug look and that cocky swagger .

Open the 'puter' to catch up on the world according to BM and :rage:              :rage:                :rage:

Dear Moderators can we please have a separate forum for magicians & extra terrestrials

Meanwhile back on earth, Nice one Rich.

Thanks for sharing the secret

:clap2:

Kev

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just what the doctor ordered, a dose of maz, rich if you will, whats to stop the plastic starting to take back its original flat shape after the roll around the file treatment, is it the hairdryer mentioned in previous posts, do you soften the piece immediately with thin solvent, or just go for it?  I'm learning

Glynn 

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

For the louver project, I am using .020 thick 0.5mm styrene sheet.  

This will hold it's shape when bent over, past the mark to bend to.  That is, If I want a 90% bend, I bend the material 180% and hold for a second, then the material springs back to the shape I need.  I have been working with this stuff for a while, I kinda know it's going to work, so I just do it.

I use the quite lovely smelling methylene chloride to melt my pieces into one piece at the corners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Good? This is waaaay past good, Rich

Positively verging on Blimey! and/or Strewth!

16 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

I think it goes as far as a “by ‘eck, petal”!

???????????????  Thanks guys?

1 hour ago, RichO said:

???????????????  Thanks guys?

We're two nations separated by a common language Rich. Petal is a northern English term of endearment. By 'eck is a northern English phrase for 'wow'. So he's right...by eck Petal 😀

This might help explain...

Edited by Timmas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hey Guys,                                                                                                         

I'm glad that all foreign speaking modelers like my build.  I don't care what language anybody speaks.  You guys are great. Thanks All.

I have finished with the basic cage around the engine.  Now it's just finish skinning everything and adding the details.

Be Back Later All.

IMG_2673_zps9v8nm11h.jpg

IMG_2675_zpsyv5clcab.jpg

IMG_2674_zps8ujmoas6.jpg

• Like 4