Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

You guys are very generous with the compliments, I'm glad everyone is enjoying the ride.  I'm one of those types, that the "build" is what's important. I don't really do anything with the finished models,  Just stash 'em away to make room for more.  

Hey All,

So my first adventures into sheet metal land went well.  However I have a confession to make.  I wimped out with the first try.  I built the running boards for the sides of the truck.  Just straight sheet metal with no bends or curves.  It looks cool tho.  The running boards start to make the whole thing look enormous.

The build...I started with the mounts that hold all this together...

IMG_2563_zps6lzhcynq.jpg

Then the Sheet Metal...just basic cut outs and shapes...

IMG_2618_zpsmqon8lwo.jpg

IMG_2620_zpszh52xxde.jpg

IMG_2619_zps8bzpubgq.jpg

rusting process started...

IMG_2621_zpszizyv1hb.jpg

back fresh from the paint shop...

IMG_2622_zpsywks0eev.jpg

Betty's getting some girth at this point...

IMG_2624_zpsgso4dagm.jpg

IMG_2626_zpstcp3sh33.jpg

IMG_2625_zpsxxlvk7l9.jpg

with tires...

IMG_2627_zps74muqp1o.jpg

IMG_2628_zpsktp2ft9n.jpg

She's getting to be a big girl, and still growing.

Once I get all the side boards attached final.  I'm going to try my first curved pieces with the Winch cover.  We'll see how that goes when I return,  Later..........

• Like 12

I can see why you've used sheet metal for those running boards. Plastic that thin would have had no strength and been too flexible. One question though. The impressions in the metal. Are they stuck on or did you press them? If it's the latter, how the devil did you do that without distorting the metal? Whenever I work with etched brass that requires you to run a ball point along a line on the back to get the impression on the other side, the brass distorts.

John.

• Like 1

Hey John,  The term I used, "Sheet Metal", is just because the "body panels" are really different than the "nuts and bolts".  The whole thing is just styrene, including the sheet metal panels. 

The details are added onto the panels and then melted into place to look like they are molded into the styrene. 

6 minutes ago, RichO said:

The term I used, "Sheet Metal", is just because the "body panels" are really different than the "nuts and bolts".  The whole thing is just styrene, including the sheet metal panels. 

Okay, so now I feel daft! I really thought that you were using thin sheet metal. After all, this is like a model engineering exercise. I thought that styrene would be too floppy. All power to your elbow Rich. It looks brilliant whatever it's made from. Keep it up. Oh, and by the way. When it's finished, instead of stashing it away somewhere, I'll give you my address and you can send it to me. :D

John.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Okay, so now I feel daft! I really thought that you were using thin sheet metal. After all, this is like a model engineering exercise. I thought that styrene would be too floppy. All power to your elbow Rich. It looks brilliant whatever it's made from. Keep it up. Oh, and by the way. When it's finished, instead of stashing it away somewhere, I'll give you my address and you can send it to me. :D

John.

I had me fooled too to begin with as it really does look like thin sheet metal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

The last week or so has been fun with family and model building, and in this part of the build, I got to try a new thing for me.  I had to make my own "piano hinge" for the hood of the winch.  This always go slower than expected, and I had a few days off with family, but I got to a point where I should show what the heck I did.

Building the cover for the winch was a combo of straight sheets, with the first of many curved surfaces and the hinges.  I first built the basic frame that this cover hangs on.  You can see that this is made of thin strips...

Test fit onto the winch

IMG_2629_zpsxkcy1rj8.jpg

once I got the size correct, then I had to build up the sides to get everything level for the hoods...

IMG_2630_zpsfp6jk0mf.jpg

testing, testing...

IMG_2631_zpslsdiygl6.jpg

Next was making the hoods.  These were simple to make, just some bending to do...

IMG_2634_zpsi3pmkda6.jpg

Once I got all the pieces to fit relatively well, I started adding the details.  Making the piano hinge was easy enough, just very tedious with all the small cutting to do.

IMG_2632_zps5t5dgqdw.jpg

IMG_2636_zps3inczw4u.jpg

IMG_2637_zpsz0pb2crw.jpg

more testing and fitting...

IMG_2641_zpse3pmush6.jpg

IMG_2638_zpsyp4aqt75.jpg

IMG_2639_zpsm6cpdptk.jpg

IMG_2640_zpsbjlqdsa5.jpg

So, it's off to the paint shop, and back again...

IMG_2642_zpshrsapwqx.jpg

IMG_2643_zpsbcikrtgc.jpg

IMG_2644_zps7geqa652.jpg

IMG_2646_zpsvn7pwwlj.jpg

I'm going to live with it like this for a bit.  I still have hardware to install and I want to barrow Richards brass hood locks from his Willy's jeep project.

At the moment I'm excited to see the frame work for the Fuel Tank Cage and the sheet work for that part of the build.  I'll be back with more exciting "stuff" later.

Thanks All!

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks All for following along!

Today's report is a non report.  My Niece went on a seven day cruise to Mexico (must be nice). And I got to baby sit a seven year old little girl for more than a week.  To bad we can't figure a way to bottle the energy that kids seem to have.  I spent time picking her up from public school each day.  I have no tolerance for kid germs, and seem to have caught every cold germ from across the county, all coming together at school and ending up in my car, and now in me.

I did manage to build the frames for the engine bay, and that's about it for two weeks work.

IMG_2647_zpsr7gitas9.jpg

I woke up today feeling somewhat normal (for me), and realized I had spent three days sleeping.

So after a couple of weeks, it's back to work on the engine bay covers.

Be Back soon.  Thanks All

• Like 5

Rich, seeing as you're the God of scratch building, it seems appropriate that you rested on the seventh day (ok I'm probably stretching it a bit but you now where I'm coming from).

Anyway, you may only have built the frames for the engine bay, but they're darned fine frames - and there's no doubt that the covers will be as spectacular as the rest.

:yes:

Worked in primary schools for a couple of years ( 5 to 11 year olds) and I have to say you build up a tolerance to pretty much everything after a while!  The kids I teach now are older, and I think the bugs are a bit less potent.

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Very nice work rich, they are so even, did you make a jig for these, with the hair dryer technique,  how have you finished them? 

Glynn

Glynn,  Believe it or don't,  I cut these from one piece.  I just had some scraps, and the patterns looked like one piece, so I just went for it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bar side said:

Worked in primary schools for a couple of years ( 5 to 11 year olds) and I have to say you build up a tolerance to pretty much everything after a while!  The kids I teach now are older, and I think the bugs are a bit less potent.

Someone to commiserate with.  Thanks Barside, You know how it feels.

6 hours ago, RichO said:

Glynn,  Believe it or don't,  I cut these from one piece.  I just had some scraps, and the patterns looked like one piece, so I just went for it.

Well that answered my question that I was going to ask. Nicely done.

It's great when you look after young 'ens. A few years ago, when my grandson was about 1 year old, he managed to give me norovirus.......bless him!

John.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Timmas said:

Screen_Shot_2017_10_16_at_04_14_56.png

Sorry!

Oh and by the way, I've found something like this to be essential when in the company of seven-year-olds...

That frikin' hurt dude!!  LOL!    Coughing fit ensuing.

• Haha 2